Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Windows 10
That gets rid of the automatic nag window.

I think what's going to happen soon is that on some patch Tuesday, one of the updates will install/schedule win10. It will be one of the preselected updates.

Unless you only do manual updates, it will be installed without asking permission. You need to check the updates, figure out which one is booby trapped, and deselect that one.

In theory, you should be able to use one of the "check for updates and notify me" options, but MicroShaft has been known to install some updates anyway. They usually only do "updates to the updater" that way, but that sometimes screws things up and I wouldn't trust them not to sneak something in there.

It also really passes me off that Win10 home doesn't give you an option to not automatically do updates. Given the number of updates they've pushed out that will crash your system or break stuff, I think you're a fool to just take the updates at the same time as everyone else when MS pushes them out. Also, I don't want my PC to do updates that might require a reboot on MS's schedule, I want to choose the time. Then the morons will do updates, and give you an option to delay the reboot, but NOT give you an option to wait until you're ready. You might get an option to delay 4 hours, but if you've got something running you don't want to stop, you have to wait by the PC and be there 4 hours later to stop it.

BTW, from limited experience, Win10 looks pretty good except for the forced update part.

(10-31-2015 02:04 PM)AlanE Wrote:  Found this other story from your link archangle.

Stop Windows 10 updates:

Stop The Windows Update Service

As central as it is to the core of Windows 10, Windows Update is actually just another Windows process so it can be stopped with these simple steps:

Open the Run command (Win + R), in it type: services.msc and press enter
From the Services list which appears find the Windows Update service and open it

In ‘Startup Type’ (under the ‘General’ tab) change it to ‘Disabled’
Restart

To re-enable Windows Update simply repeat these four steps, but change the Startup Type to ‘Automatic’

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
11-01-2015 12:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Sex: Male

and the big brother options. Some you can shut off but are they really off? Wink

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
11-01-2015 04:50 AM
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

(10-31-2015 12:55 PM)archangle Wrote:  http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/...automatic/

Be very careful. Apparently Microsoft is going to try and install Win10 without even asking for permission. If you have automatic updates, it will start installing Win10 without warning.

Who do they think they are, Apple?

From my multiple years experience with Apple (and supporting it) they do not push the new OS system like M$ does. When I went to El Capitan, I had to request it through the App store. The others I was told it was available, but that is it. My Mavericks update sat for about 2 months before I went with it.

Now security updates and things like iTunes, they do a good job of pushing them.

Homer
11-02-2015 01:06 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

There is a free utility that puts all of Windows 10 privacy settings in one place for you to toggle on/off. The utility is called shutup10 and it is by a company called oo-software

I just installed it and was surprised at everything that 10 collects. All that was missing from Windows 10 is this picture on the background:

[Image: 1984-movie.jpg]

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2015 12:12 PM by AlanE.)
11-17-2015 12:12 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Still want Windows 10 for free? AlanE 1 220 09-23-2016 07:23 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  Windows 7 and 8.1 Users Crimson Nape 20 775 08-25-2016 08:10 PM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  Windows 10 - Install Heads-Up and a Vent Crimson Nape 11 442 07-24-2016 02:51 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  It's Windows update Tuesday justMongo 8 1,108 02-10-2016 07:04 PM
  Sysinternals Suite update (Windows) AlanE 1 380 01-12-2016 07:38 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
  what's wrong with this fragment of windows batch code? justMongo 18 1,809 09-16-2015 10:46 AM
  Windows frozen justMongo 8 1,156 09-16-2015 03:25 AM
Last Post: YTN3rd