Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Windows 10
Go to Settings, Privacy. It is in there that you can turn off all the data sharing options. You can also turn off the voice thing and the sharing across computers thing. Unless you want to sync across your computers, it isn't needed and if not used right, can really fubar a document. Most of the things to turn off are in the General tab but you can find them all over the place within the Privacy section.

There's a website called BGR that has a good article out titled "Windows 10 is spying on almost everything you do – here’s how to opt out" that describes how to do all this. It has another titled "Windows 10: The first 5 things you need to do immediately after you install it" but I've not read it yet.

A die-hard Mac tech friend of mine has actually said he likes Win 10 which has me concerned. He is either on drugs or taken over my aliens.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-01-2015 09:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Sex: Male

He is if your new avatar is a portrait of your friend. Too-funny

I did all that in 10 too. I duplicated the original drive and had 10 install on the new drive. This way if it really is that bad I can just reconnect the old drive and 7 is back.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
08-02-2015 09:29 AM
foss Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Autosense 10
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Amara View FFM
Humidifier: Resmed
CPAP Pressure: 9 - 13.4

Other Comments: Marine Chemist, Science Teacher & Counselor, Internet Server Admistrator

The more I hear about Win 10, the more I intend to stay with Win 7. Thanks for all of the info.

Sleep is worth the effort.
08-02-2015 06:58 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
surferdude2 Online

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro & Optilife
Humidifier: ResMed H5i @ #3 if nose breathing & #5 if mouth breathing
CPAP Pressure: 12 ~ 20 & 11 ~12 if nasal mask

Other Comments: Late stage 2 emphysema

I'm glad I have an extra system to try thing on. As for Win10, I readily see why they are giving it away. The performance is slower than Win7 due to some enhanced effects that it contains and some added features that I will never need or use. The worse offender that I don't want or need but is not possible to uninstall is the new feature called "One Drive". It puts your private files into cloud storage and subject to scrutiny by M$. With that the files no longer reside on your local drive and must be accessed from the internet. Slows things down considerably. You can elect to have the files available offline but that's just something else to master. I see Win10 as a downgrade from Win7 and an invasion of privacy along with a hit on performance. YMMV but I doubt it.
08-03-2015 10:12 AM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(08-03-2015 10:12 AM)surferdude2 Wrote:  I'm glad I have an extra system to try thing on. As for Win10, I readily see why they are giving it away. The performance is slower than Win7 due to some enhanced effects that it contains and some added features that I will never need or use. The worse offender that I don't want or need but is not possible to uninstall is the new feature called "One Drive". It puts your private files into cloud storage and subject to scrutiny by M$. With that the files no longer reside on your local drive and must be accessed from the internet. Slows things down considerably. You can elect to have the files available offline but that's just something else to master. I see Win10 as a downgrade from Win7 and an invasion of privacy along with a hit on performance. YMMV but I doubt it.

I agree 100%

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-03-2015 10:27 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

(08-03-2015 10:12 AM)surferdude2 Wrote:  I'm glad I have an extra system to try thing on. As for Win10, I readily see why they are giving it away. The performance is slower than Win7 due to some enhanced effects that it contains and some added features that I will never need or use. The worse offender that I don't want or need but is not possible to uninstall is the new feature called "One Drive". It puts your private files into cloud storage and subject to scrutiny by M$. With that the files no longer reside on your local drive and must be accessed from the internet. Slows things down considerably. You can elect to have the files available offline but that's just something else to master. I see Win10 as a downgrade from Win7 and an invasion of privacy along with a hit on performance. YMMV but I doubt it.

You can disable the One Drive function. I still save files on my local drive. Seeing as I am not at my Win 10 laptop, but on the Mac, I can't remember where the setting is.

Homer
08-03-2015 01:07 PM
sptrout Online

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10
Mask Make & Model: ResMed, AirFit P10
Humidifier: HumidAir
CPAP Pressure: 8-11

Other Comments:

I have not had any problems since I upgraded our W8.1 laptop to W10 a few days ago. Barely tell any difference, just some new screens. No performance issues noticed (laptop with an i7 processor, 16M of RAM, 1T hybrid hard drive).

As for OneDrive, it is not new at all. I have been using it for years for backup, and to easily distribute pictures. It used to be called "SkyDrive" until MS lost a lawsuit to some unknown little company (unknown to me anyway) that had already been using that name and wanted MS to change SkyDrive to something else, so, "OneDrive" appeared. If worried about MS looking at files (I am not) it is easy to encrypt them locally before sending to the cloud. Also, it is easy to avoid this if it is an issue, just put your data files into your own folders (such as "Data Files") then you have to tell the your computer to send them to the cloud. I also use SugarSync to backup/share data files automatically between computers, and SyncBackFree to automatically backup multiple files from multiple computers to a standalone external hard drive. LOL - - I backup a lot.
08-03-2015 01:11 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
surferdude2 Online

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro & Optilife
Humidifier: ResMed H5i @ #3 if nose breathing & #5 if mouth breathing
CPAP Pressure: 12 ~ 20 & 11 ~12 if nasal mask

Other Comments: Late stage 2 emphysema

Let me clarify, "One Drive" being imbedded and "not uninstallable" is something new on Win10 that hasn't been inflicted upon users in the past. If I needed Cloud or equal, I'd likely opt for Drop Box since I doubt they're in bed with big brother.

Like you sptrout, I make lots of backups. However, I keep all of my files locally (unless I've been hacked) and perform daily incremental backups of my system drive and keep a min. of one month and max. of two month of those, which are maintained automatically with no detectable impact on system performance.

Putting my personal files in some location with a slower response time doesn't sound good to me. My external drives are faster than my internet speed although I do get 90 megabits/sec DL speeds. I can't help but wonder how many folks will hit their max. bandwidth cap and end up paying extra just to access their own files. Wink Did you notice the pay tiers on One Drive?

The processors on my machines aren't up to i7 specs (2.7 GHz typical here) that's likely why I noticed the performance hit. The general run of Win7's upgrading to Win10 won't have i7 processors. I daresay many won't have 2.7 GHz capability. That's why I hedged my opinion with the YMMV. Smile In my opinion, any performance hit without a good reason isn't acceptable. I didn't see the good reason.

BTW, The Win7 backup images served me well after testing Win10. Wink I did make an image of Win10 in case I need to deploy it in order to help someone with an issue.

Please keep us posted on how it works out for you over a longer period. Obviously many of us will have it inflicted upon us someday and any advance information will no doubt be helpful.
08-03-2015 02:18 PM
ISnoreBadly Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR System One REMStar Pro 560
Mask Make & Model: PR DreamWear Nasal Mask
Humidifier: PR System One
CPAP Pressure: 12

Other Comments:

Even if you use OneDrive for storing your documents they are still local - on your computer. OneDrive replicates files from a folder (or multiple folders) on your computer to your OneDrive account in the cloud. So they'd be accessible through a web browser or any other device that uses the same OneDrive account. OneDrive syncs changes in the background, so if you make a change to a file locally and save it, the OneDrive sync tool will update the cloud version of the file shortly thereafter. It's similar to Google Drive...
08-03-2015 02:32 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

How turn off OneDrive:

Quote:Disable OneDrive in Windows 10

Since OneDrive is still included with Windows 10, you cannot completely uninstall it, however, you can still disable it:

Right-click the OneDrive icon in the notification area (bottom-right) and then select "Settings"
Click "Unlink OneDrive" in the Settings tab
Follow the instructions to unlink OneDrive from your Microsoft account

Once disabled, none of your OneDrive files will sync on your machine. Please note though, you may have to delete all contents still stored in the OneDrive folder.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/onedr...86c0a01cf6

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

08-03-2015 02:38 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Still want Windows 10 for free? AlanE 1 215 09-23-2016 07:23 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  Windows 7 and 8.1 Users Crimson Nape 20 764 08-25-2016 08:10 PM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  Windows 10 - Install Heads-Up and a Vent Crimson Nape 11 433 07-24-2016 02:51 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  It's Windows update Tuesday justMongo 8 1,094 02-10-2016 07:04 PM
  Sysinternals Suite update (Windows) AlanE 1 376 01-12-2016 07:38 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
  what's wrong with this fragment of windows batch code? justMongo 18 1,796 09-16-2015 10:46 AM
  Windows frozen justMongo 8 1,152 09-16-2015 03:25 AM
Last Post: YTN3rd