Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro & Optilife
Humidifier: ResMed H5i @ #3 if nose breathing & #5 if mouth breathing
CPAP Pressure: 12 ~ 20 & 11 ~12 if nasal mask
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Late stage 2 emphysema

Sex: Male

RE: Windows 10
Depending on how you place files in the One Drive folder, you may either copy or move them. As always, moving leaves no trace at the original location. I'm not sure if the background file handling by Win10 has a selectable method or is fixed at the copy mode. If selectable, that could be a hazard for some users. Some users will no doubt elect to free up drive space and manually move files to the One Drive storage. They will no doubt be disappointed when they try to access them the easy way.

I have yet to see the extra value of Win10 over Win7. It's a step closer to being more dependent on MS since some users may end up with several of their precious files in MS storage and when the internet isn't available, they're dead in the water unless they kept copies locally. Trust me, some users will move file rather than copy them.

For the meantime, I'll just do backup images as opposed to the slower duplicating of files to any cloud that imposes a system burden whenever it dictates and not when I do. My incremental backup takes less than 10 minutes and that's during breakfast so I'm never inconvenienced by it. I can imagine getting errors such as "One Drive has experienced a connectivity problem and has terminated".

To use the cloud as a full system backup would require more than just the free space so it has little appeal for that purpose. It would also take lots of time doing it. Any backup that isn't comprised of the entire system disk doesn't do much for me. Personal file backups tend to give some folks a false sense of security. The way Windows works (and doesn't work well) with all the updates that are necessary over time, a clean install can literally take days to complete and is very expensive if you must hire it done.

Most of my objections are based on my experience with the users that I have as my personal burden. I realize that you guys won't be that careless or uninformed, so not to worry. My main message to you guys is, Win10 will be disappointing if you now have Win7. If you are so unfortunate as to have Win8 or Win8.1, almost anything would be better so give it a go.

Thanks to all for the input. It's helpful to me and may help others when Win10 gets more commonly in use.
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2015 04:58 PM by surferdude2.)
08-03-2015 04:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
surferdude2 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet

I should mention that I'm so old fashioned that I don't have a Smart Phone or Tablet and have no need of accessing my files on the go. No doubt that's appealing to those that have such devices, which is probably most people. When Win8 first came out it was obvious that MS wanted to interface into the mobile device market so as not to get left behind when folks decided they no longer needed a home computer. Most mobile device users agree that mobile devices have more tolerant operating systems so Windows isn't all that important to them. MS will get their system hooked into your mobile device and make you think they did it as a favor to you. Big Grin They're giving it away for free so do you suppose they have ulterior motives? Wink
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2015 05:11 PM by surferdude2.)
08-03-2015 05:07 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

I got a 1TB hard drive today. After arguing with it for a while, I figured out how to get Windoze to see it. I debated about whether to clone my drive or start over. I decided to clone it. I used Acronis and cloned the existing drive onto the new drive. Then had the bios go to the new drive first. Success!

Now I'm waiting for my turn to download Win 10. My niece and I want to try it out. If it doesn't work like we hope, it won't matter 'cause I'll be able to go to the new drive. Or back to the old one. Not sure which direction it will be. I may still change my mind and reformat the new drive and start from scratch! Although with all the Windows updates I'd have to do, it is more tempting to just uninstall everything and start over that way.

And I am sleep drunk, I think. I need to get to bed before the sun comes up.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-04-2015 01:49 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

I use Acronis too. Simple and it just works. I don't have the patience for clonezilla anymore.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
08-04-2015 05:04 AM
surferdude2 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet

I use AOMEI after using Acronis for years and through several versions. AOMEI is better (more versatile and sociable) and it's free. YMMV
08-04-2015 08:52 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

I'll stick with Acronis.

Good article on 30 ways 10 sends data back to M$: http://www.howtogeek.com/224616/30-ways-windows-10-phones-home/

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
08-04-2015 11:48 AM
storywizard Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed VPAP Adapt S9
Mask Make & Model: P10 taped to face
Humidifier: included with machine
CPAP Pressure: CPAP 11cm

Other Comments:

Nice article, thanks for posting..

Leaves me with the dilemma of what to get when I replace the two home computers...slate and scriber..lol

Storywizard
08-04-2015 02:23 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

I used Acronis because my brother does. He researched the topic because they needed it for work. He felt it was the best out there for what they needed it to do. Then he liked it so well, he got it for his home computers, too. He's why I also use Ammyy. Yeah, it was another expense but eh, I don't mind paying for what works.

Decided to not start over. It felt too much like work. I wish there was a way to go through and remove all the crap that is no longer being used. Games especially leave empty folders or folders with just one file behind.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-04-2015 02:37 PM
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Received a notice today regarding yet another Windows 10 scam.

Quote:We at the SecureFlorida.org Beacon wanted to alert you to a recent, wide-spread ransomware campaign that is taking advantage of the release last week of the free Windows 10 upgrade.
Security experts are warning us of scam emails that claim to help users with their eagerly-awaiting Windows 10 download, but which instead install ransomware on the user's computer. http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2015/.../31055047/ tells us the fraudulent emails are easy to spot because of the "spelling errors and stray non-English characters."

08-04-2015 03:03 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

(08-04-2015 02:23 PM)storywizard Wrote:  Leaves me with the dilemma of what to get when I replace the two home computers...slate and scriber..lol
Hard to hack that heh.

08-04-2015 03:05 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Still want Windows 10 for free? AlanE 1 219 09-23-2016 07:23 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  Windows 7 and 8.1 Users Crimson Nape 20 770 08-25-2016 08:10 PM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  Windows 10 - Install Heads-Up and a Vent Crimson Nape 11 438 07-24-2016 02:51 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  It's Windows update Tuesday justMongo 8 1,101 02-10-2016 07:04 PM
  Sysinternals Suite update (Windows) AlanE 1 379 01-12-2016 07:38 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
  what's wrong with this fragment of windows batch code? justMongo 18 1,802 09-16-2015 10:46 AM
  Windows frozen justMongo 8 1,154 09-16-2015 03:25 AM
Last Post: YTN3rd