Windows 10
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

Sex: Male

RE: Windows 10
On my Mac I run time Machine for my local backup and Carbonite for my off-site. Both work like a champ. I do have some files in my OneDrive account but those are more for some of my church PowerPoint slides in the event I want to work on them on my laptop. I don't really backup my laptop as it is my sit in front of the TV and surf toy. The Time Machine backup worked great recently as I had to replace the hard drive on the Mac. Total time to restore was about an hour.

BTW, as to MS giving Windows away for free, the last couple of Mac upgrades (Mountain Lion, Mavericks, Yosemite) were also free if you had a prior version.

My church also uses Dropbox for our sound team for moving recordings back and forth. This is always another option.

Homer
08-04-2015 04:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

(08-01-2015 07:36 PM)surferdude2 Wrote:  Before installing Win10, I advise performing a full system drive image of your present system and the necessary boot media to deploy that image if Win10 disappoints you.

Better than that. Buy a new hard drive. Clone the existing drive using clonezilla or Acronis True Image. Clonezilla is free, and Acronis True Image comes free for certain brands of hard drive.

Clone. Disconnect old drive and verify new drive works. Stash old drive somewhere safe.

This is actually a good idea anyway. If your hard drive crashes you don't have to go through all the hassle of reloading Windows on your computer. BTW, make sure you have the install disks for your original OS. On some computers, you have to make them on your own, for some, you can buy from the manufacturer at fairly minimal cost if you've lost them.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
08-05-2015 11:10 AM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

That's what I am doing, Arch. Well, whenever I am next in line for it.

I used Google's Drive (is that what it is called?) briefly. I uploaded manuscript files to it so I could access them from any of my devices, even my tablet or phone. But then the files began getting busted. One began having a random phone number appear. We looked it up and it was spam. Nothing we did made it go away. I found an older version that had not been uploaded. I then took the text added on since then, put into a simple text document first, saved it, then moved it into the older version. It was the only way to get the number out of the document.

Another one had text moved around. And a third had whole chunks missing. That third was a very important one and had me in panic mode for several hours. I thought I had saved it over the original until I could get home and straighten everything out.

So I don't use any cloud services except for DreamObjects offered by my webhost. And nothing has been fubar in the year or more since I started using it for backup. To share documents between devices, I either upload it to an FTP file or I use Ammyy or Parallels Access.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-05-2015 08:25 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

On the subject of Win 10... One of the computers in the house is a Win 7 machine that is communal. So, I don't do much maintenance on it.
It downloaded the GWX.exe update; then downloaded Win 10. It did not install Win 10. I removed GWX.exe and hide the update that downloaded it.

If anyone knows where the download of Win 10 resides on the disk, you could save me some time. I probably can find it; but, if you know where it was downloaded to, I appreciate knowing where since that machine has limited disk space.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-05-2015 09:44 PM
surferdude2 Online

Advisory Members

Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro & Optilife
Humidifier: ResMed H5i @ #3 if nose breathing & #5 if mouth breathing
CPAP Pressure: 12 ~ 20 & 11 ~12 if nasal mask
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Late stage 2 emphysema

When I downloaded Win10 from the MS site I got a file named MediaCreationTool.exe for my 32-bit machines and MediaCreationToolx64.exe for the 64-bit machines. A search should where yours went to but usually it would go to your default download folder unless you directed it otherwise.

While I'm at it, I recommend that you get the free tool called "Everything" which I think you will appreciate. Just Google for "Everything" and it will likely be the first hit. From ww w.voidtools.com I find it indispensable yet rarely used. Not necessary to run it except when you need to find something on all drives.
08-05-2015 10:38 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

It is a decent tool but a memory hog when allowed to run in the task bar. I exit the program when I am not using it.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

08-06-2015 12:10 AM
big_dave Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR System One DS560
Mask Make & Model: F&P Pilairo Q or ResMed Mirage Activa
Humidifier: PR System One
CPAP Pressure: 14 - 20

Other Comments: Former ResMed S8 Autoset II user

(08-05-2015 09:44 PM)justMongo Wrote:  If anyone knows where the download of Win 10 resides on the disk, you could save me some time. I probably can find it; but, if you know where it was downloaded to, I appreciate knowing where since that machine has limited disk space.

The Windows 10 installer downloads to C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\install.esd and it's about 3 GB for the 64-bit version. Use the Media Creation Tool suggested by surferdude2 to convert it to an iso. Alternatively, you can search the web for Windows 10 iso download, and download the iso from the Microsoft website.

You will need to either burn the iso to a DVD or a thumb drive, or else use a tool like Daemon Tools to mount the iso as a drive.

BTW, the Windows 10 files downloaded by Windows Update include an embedded product key, which will make activation difficult if you try to use them on a different computer.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2015 01:07 AM by big_dave.)
08-06-2015 01:02 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

(08-05-2015 09:44 PM)justMongo Wrote:  On the subject of Win 10... One of the computers in the house is a Win 7 machine that is communal. So, I don't do much maintenance on it.
It downloaded the GWX.exe update; then downloaded Win 10. It did not install Win 10. I removed GWX.exe and hide the update that downloaded it.

If anyone knows where the download of Win 10 resides on the disk, you could save me some time. I probably can find it; but, if you know where it was downloaded to, I appreciate knowing where since that machine has limited disk space.

Sounds like you may have your answer already, but the free, open source, "windirstat" program is a great tool for finding where the data is on your hard disk. It has a neat graphical display and text information as well.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
08-06-2015 10:19 AM
surferdude2 Online

Advisory Members

Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro & Optilife
Humidifier: ResMed H5i @ #3 if nose breathing & #5 if mouth breathing
CPAP Pressure: 12 ~ 20 & 11 ~12 if nasal mask

Other Comments: Late stage 2 emphysema

I never allowed Win10 to be downloaded but instead merely downloaded the MediaCreationTool from the MS site. It's a small DL and goes to yout usual DL folder so it's easy to find and easy to dump, when need be. When you run the tool, it will DL the necessary files to your temp folder and create the install files on the media of your choice. I recommend that method since it has always been the standard when MS offers large SP's and the likes. I see no point in storing the files permanently unless you have multiple use plans for locations with low speed internet access. Presumably the tool will clean up after itself and wipe the temp files clean but you it never hurts to check and verify. Not to worry if you run CCleaner (via command line in batch e.g.,,, "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" /auto /shutdown) as your system shutdown tool since it cleans your chosen temp areas and shuts your system down automatically.

BTW Paula02, The "Everything" search tool uses very little resources but even so I don't keep it running, just start it when the need arises. It does take a lot of processor time when first loading but that's temporary. It actually uses less than .4% of the memory on any of the systems I have checked it on. I find it invaluable for locating files that would otherwise take an extremely long time to find. Even so, I don't start it unless I need it, which is always good practice with any tool that you use infrequently.

Already Win10 has cost me more time explaining than it's worth! Big Grin

73 & ._._.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2015 04:10 PM by surferdude2.)
08-06-2015 10:27 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

GodMode for Windows 10

Right click on your Windows 10 desktop screen. Create a new folder and give it this exact name:

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
08-08-2015 02:53 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Still want Windows 10 for free? AlanE 1 215 09-23-2016 07:23 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  Windows 7 and 8.1 Users Crimson Nape 20 765 08-25-2016 08:10 PM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  Windows 10 - Install Heads-Up and a Vent Crimson Nape 11 433 07-24-2016 02:51 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  It's Windows update Tuesday justMongo 8 1,094 02-10-2016 07:04 PM
  Sysinternals Suite update (Windows) AlanE 1 377 01-12-2016 07:38 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
  what's wrong with this fragment of windows batch code? justMongo 18 1,796 09-16-2015 10:46 AM
  Windows frozen justMongo 8 1,153 09-16-2015 03:25 AM
Last Post: YTN3rd