Windows 10
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

Sex: Male

RE: Windows 10
(08-17-2015 06:25 AM)49er Wrote:  After my computer died three weeks ago, I wasn't sure whether I was going to stay with Windows or give the Mac a try. Because I had heard how wonderful Windows 10 was, that was the direction I was leaning.

I tried both windows 10 and the mac several times in different stores so I wouldn't make an impulsive decision. I finally decided that even though I knew I would have a learning curve with the Mac, I decided I was really tired of windows as the interface seemed so clunky compared to the Mac in which things seemed simple and elegant to me at the same time.

But I certainly respect the decision of folks who stay with Windows and don't intend to turn into a Mac zealot. Smile Good luck to everyone with their systems no matter what they have.

49er

O'Reilly Press has a good book on going from Windows to Mac. It is part of their missing manuals series. Apple used to have a good article on This Is How I did it on Windows, Howe do I do it on the Mac but they have taken it off the search results.

My main computer is an almost 8 year old Mac running the latest OS. My laptop is Windows 10 so I am used to both worlds.

Homer
08-22-2015 01:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
surferdude2 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro & Optilife
Humidifier: ResMed H5i @ #3 if nose breathing & #5 if mouth breathing
CPAP Pressure: 12 ~ 20 & 11 ~12 if nasal mask
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Late stage 2 emphysema

You can still get new laptops with Win7 installed.
08-22-2015 02:34 PM
49er Online

Advisory Members

Machine: VPAP-S
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Sleep Weaver Elan Soft Cloth Nasal Mask
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 13.6/9.6

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
Quote:O'Reilly Press has a good book on going from Windows to Mac. It is part of their missing manuals series. Apple used to have a good article on This Is How I did it on Windows, Howe do I do it on the Mac but they have taken it off the search results.

My main computer is an almost 8 year old Mac running the latest OS. My laptop is Windows 10 so I am used to both worlds.

Homer

Thanks Homer, I will check it out.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2015 01:27 PM by 49er.)
08-23-2015 01:26 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Just when you though you were safe by sticking with Windows 7

Microsoft loves their new telemetry gathering in Windows 10 so much, they decided to roll it out to Windows 7 and 8 users.

Beware of these "updates" and block them. If you made the mistake of installing them, get rid of them:

|Copied from extremetech.com|

KB 3068708: This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices. By applying this service, you can add benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights.

KB 3068708 is listed as collecting diagnostics about functional issues on systems that take part in the Customer Experience Improvement Program. Determining whether or not you are a member of the CEIP, however, is less than obvious. The KB also notes that “Most programs make CEIP options available on the Help menu, although for some products, you might have to check settings, options, or preferences menus.” This is a recommended Windows update.

KB 3022345: This update has been superseded by KB 3068708, but previously provided the same telemetry-tracking services. It’s not clear how the two updates differ, but if you want to remove all traces of telemetry tracking, you’ll want to remove this update as well.

KB 3075249: This update adds telemetry points to the User Account Control (UAC) feature to collect information on elevations that come from low integrity levels. What this appears to mean is that MS wants more information about the kinds of applications that trigger UAC in the first place, presumably because it wants to know what they do and why they need that access. This update is classified as Optional.

KB 3080149: This update is described in identical language to the first two. “This package updates the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices. This service provides benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights.” It is provided as an Optional update, even though the first was classified a “Recommended” update.

But wait! there's more...

Hard-coded phoning home

One of the assumptions made by various privacy advocates and journalists, including me, is that third-party utilities would be able to shut down the tracking Microsoft deployed in Windows 10. To some degree, that’s already happened, but there are certain new “features” of Windows 10 that can’t be blocked by any OS-level tweaks, including the hosts file. The updates listed above connect to vortex-win.data.microsoft.com and settings-win.data.microsoft.com. These addresses are hard-coded to bypass the hosts file and cannot be prevented from connecting. It’s been reported that software firewalls aren’t sufficient to block them, though this is unclear. (See update above).
Telemetry2

It’s not clear if setting this flag in Windows 7 still disables all telemetry with the new patches installed.

The only way to block some of these connections is if your router has a firewall you can configure and if that firewall allows you to block HTTPS connections instead of simply passing them through. Some users have reported that they can block these connections, but plenty of other devices can’t, at least not completely. It’s still possible to reduce the amount of information flowing to Microsoft, but disabling it completely seems to be impossible unless you build a software router or replace your current hardware with a dedicated box.

Windows 7’s GPEdit.msc contains a setting that allows users to disable all application telemetry, and another setting that can shut off user participation in the Consumer Experience Improvement Program. Whether these options continue to function after the latest patches isn’t known. Users who do not wish to send Microsoft their own telemetry should uninstall the updates and tell Windows Update to hide them from now on.

I run IPCop firewall and these sites are blocked. Smile

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
09-10-2015 06:59 PM
storywizard Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed VPAP Adapt S9
Mask Make & Model: P10 taped to face
Humidifier: included with machine
CPAP Pressure: CPAP 11cm

Other Comments:

any idea if Apple is better for us as users??

Storywizard
09-10-2015 07:21 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

(09-10-2015 06:59 PM)AlanE Wrote:  Just when you though you were safe by sticking with Windows 7

Microsoft loves their new telemetry gathering in Windows 10 so much, they decided to roll it out to Windows 7 and 8 users.

It's getting so that the only Microsoft OS I trust these days is DOS 6.22.

Eat-popcorn

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

09-10-2015 07:29 PM
storywizard Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

(09-10-2015 07:29 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  
(09-10-2015 06:59 PM)AlanE Wrote:  Just when you though you were safe by sticking with Windows 7

It's getting so that the only Microsoft OS I trust these days is DOS 6.22.

Eat-popcorn

ah, thanks for that...Dielaughing
09-10-2015 07:37 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

(09-10-2015 07:21 PM)storywizard Wrote:  any idea if Apple is better for us as users??

Storywizard

My Mac is my primary machine, but I also have a Windoze laptop. Personally, I prefer the Mac. My Mac will be 8 in December and I can run 99% of what is out there. MacWorld has a good series of articles on transitioning from Windoze to Mac.

In my former life I supported Mac and Windoze and found the Mac has its own idiosyncrasies. Usually, the first way to fix an issue is to reboot.

Granted, you will pay more for a Mac, however, they last a lot longer. One drawback is if it needs work, you need to take it in (other than changing the memory on the old 24 in and new 27 inch desktop units.

Homer
09-11-2015 01:40 PM
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

(09-10-2015 07:21 PM)storywizard Wrote:  any idea if Apple is better for us as users??

Storywizard

In terms of privacy of this kind, no. Apple is even more "in control" of your machine than Microsoft.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
09-12-2015 03:15 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
storywizard Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

(09-12-2015 03:15 AM)archangle Wrote:  

Storywizard

In terms of privacy of this kind, no. Apple is even more "in control" of your machine than Microsoft.

That is very depressing...if I were still a young computer guy I would build a Linus box...ahhh the days of SUSe...thanks for the info..

all the best,

Storywizard
09-12-2015 12:38 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Still want Windows 10 for free? AlanE 1 219 09-23-2016 07:23 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  Windows 7 and 8.1 Users Crimson Nape 20 767 08-25-2016 08:10 PM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  Windows 10 - Install Heads-Up and a Vent Crimson Nape 11 434 07-24-2016 02:51 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  It's Windows update Tuesday justMongo 8 1,098 02-10-2016 07:04 PM
  Sysinternals Suite update (Windows) AlanE 1 378 01-12-2016 07:38 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
  what's wrong with this fragment of windows batch code? justMongo 18 1,798 09-16-2015 10:46 AM
  Windows frozen justMongo 8 1,153 09-16-2015 03:25 AM
Last Post: YTN3rd