Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Sex: Male

RE: Windows 10
My first taste of *nix was SCO Unix. Good ole Santa Cruz Operation. Alas they are no more...

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
09-12-2015 03:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
pholynyk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 APAP
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Amara View
Humidifier: included
CPAP Pressure: 11-17
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

You're never too old to build a Linux box - or convert an old laptop. I run Debian 8 on my desk, my server, and two laptops. It's an easy install from CD or DVD. I also run a Debian derivative on two Raspberry Pis; one of them uses my TV as its display. SleepyHead was an easy build using QTCreator.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that Mac OS-X doesn't phone home nearly as much as Win10 is reported to; on that basis, I would prefer Mac OS-X if I had to have a commercial OS.
09-12-2015 03:14 PM
Crimson Nape Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: P-10 / F&P Simplus / DreamWear
Humidifier: H5i w/Climateline
CPAP Pressure: 8 - EPR 3

Other Comments: CMS-50F & 50IW

I just switched back to Win7 Pro from Win10. Win10 had a few problems with my accounting software and a few other idiosyncrasies. When I tried the Win10 thirty day restore option, it informed me that it hadn't saved the necessary files to restore it back. I lucked out and had imaged my drive just prior to the upgrade. I now consider Win 10 nothing more than Win 8.1 with lipstick.

Statistics prove that people who have more birthdays live longer.
09-12-2015 03:36 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

(09-12-2015 03:36 PM)sgearhart Wrote:  When I tried the Win10 thirty day restore option, it informed me that it hadn't saved the necessary files to restore it back. I lucked out and had imaged my drive just prior to the upgrade.

Good that you did that. I have done the same on both my Windows desktops.

(09-12-2015 03:36 PM)sgearhart Wrote:  I now consider Win 10 nothing more than Win 8.1 with lipstick.

Dielaughing

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
09-12-2015 04:33 PM
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

(09-12-2015 03:14 PM)pholynyk Wrote:  You're never too old to build a Linux box - or convert an old laptop. I run Debian 8 on my desk, my server, and two laptops. It's an easy install from CD or DVD. I also run a Debian derivative on two Raspberry Pis; one of them uses my TV as its display. SleepyHead was an easy build using QTCreator.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that Mac OS-X doesn't phone home nearly as much as Win10 is reported to; on that basis, I would prefer Mac OS-X if I had to have a commercial OS.

Converting my wife's 12 year old XP machine over to a Linux box is on my list of projects.

I have found the Mac doesn't phone home anywhere near as much as my Win 10 machine does. There are reports that in recent updates, Win 7 and 8 machines are starting to phone home almost as much as the Win 10 cousins. There are some good articles on locking down Windoze to stop all the phoning home.

My Mac is almost 8 years old and the only things I have had to have done was replaced the internal fan (2 yeas ago - full of cat hair) and the hard drive (three months ago). My desktop machine will be 8 in December. Granted, you have to take it somewhere to get it worked on (other than upgrading memory), but I feel it is worth the difference in price when you see how long they last (at least the desktops). I have the most recent OS (and should be able to run the new one in the fall) and running the latest software. Does everything I want it to and then some. It is on most of the time and I just tell it to sleep when I am not using it.

As with any machine (especially if it is your primary) I recommend using a backup. I run Apple's Time Machine and I also have an off site remote backup which I am quite happy with. When I replaced my hard drive, I was back up and operating about an hour and a half after hooking everything back up and restoring from my Time Machine backup.

Homer
09-14-2015 11:37 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Crimson Nape Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: P-10 / F&P Simplus / DreamWear
Humidifier: H5i w/Climateline
CPAP Pressure: 8 - EPR 3

Other Comments: CMS-50F & 50IW

(09-14-2015 11:37 AM)Homerec130 Wrote:  There are reports that in recent updates, Win 7 and 8 machines are starting to phone home almost as much as the Win 10 cousins. There are some good articles on locking down Windoze to stop all the phoning home.

Here are the Windows updates that phone home:
KB3022345
KB3068708
KB3075249
KB3080149
And the "Biggie"; the Windows 10 upgrade: KB305583
Note: Some of these will be on W7 and some will be on W8.

After deleting these, reboot your computer and perform a "Check for Updates". Go to the listing (Windows will try to install them again) and right click on each one and select "Hide".

In an afterthought, I would almost bet that some genius a M$ will get wise to this practice and rename them in future updates.

Statistics prove that people who have more birthdays live longer.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2015 12:21 PM by Crimson Nape.)
09-14-2015 12:19 PM
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

(09-12-2015 03:04 PM)AlanE Wrote:  My first taste of *nix was SCO Unix. Good ole Santa Cruz Operation. Alas they are no more...

I hope the SCO management folks are dying slowly from some horrible, painful, illness, and it become public so we can all enjoy their suffering.

They started playing lawsuit lottery claiming they owned the rights to everything like Unix and Linux. They were using the "patent troll" technique of sending letters about "pay us a payment or we'll tie you up in lawsuits." They used a lot of dirty tricks. I'm really surprised the judge in the case didn't throw some of the SCO folks in jail.

They've mostly been beaten back down into the slime where they belong, but occasionally a bubble of stench bubbles up to the surface.

Good riddance to bad garbage.

When the government decided to add patent protection to software, they really started this country on a long, deadly spiral. We're eventually going to end up not being able to actually produce anything but lawsuits in this country.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
09-15-2015 03:09 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Sex: Female

(09-12-2015 03:04 PM)AlanE Wrote:  My first taste of *nix was SCO Unix. Good ole Santa Cruz Operation. Alas they are no more...

Mine too, but I won't shed any tears for them.... even tho the debacle archangel speaks of below was perpetrated by the "SCO Group" who purchased the original SCO and license to distribute from Novell for the express purpose of killing linux. Long live linux!

(09-15-2015 03:09 PM)archangle Wrote:  I hope the SCO management folks are dying slowly from some horrible, painful, illness, and it become public so we can all enjoy their suffering.

They started playing lawsuit lottery claiming they owned the rights to everything like Unix and Linux. They were using the "patent troll" technique of sending letters about "pay us a payment or we'll tie you up in lawsuits." They used a lot of dirty tricks. I'm really surprised the judge in the case didn't throw some of the SCO folks in jail.

They've mostly been beaten back down into the slime where they belong, but occasionally a bubble of stench bubbles up to the surface.

Good riddance to bad garbage.

When the government decided to add patent protection to software, they really started this country on a long, deadly spiral. We're eventually going to end up not being able to actually produce anything but lawsuits in this country.

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the armpits and other warm bits on any who involved themselves in this mess, or in the DMCA!

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2015 05:45 PM by DariaVader.)
09-15-2015 05:44 PM
Tony Brown Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Auto-Set
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro Air
Humidifier: ResMed SX556-0204
CPAP Pressure: 6-16
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

(08-03-2015 10:12 AM)surferdude2 Wrote:  I see Win10 as a downgrade from Win7 and an invasion of privacy along with a hit on performance. YMMV but I doubt it.
Actually Smile Never having used One-Drive and having no intention of doing so,is it still possible for them to check on what files you haveThinking-about
09-15-2015 07:13 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
YTN3rd Offline

New Members

Machine: Auto+
Mask Make & Model: unsure
Humidifier: unsure
CPAP Pressure: 15
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

So far so good with XP. Only issue I had was installing Visual Studio software, would put my PC into constant reboot loop >_<

Also had issues updating F&P InfoSmart software as old software would fail to launch. I have a solution but need 8 posts in order to post thread with links.
09-16-2015 03:23 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Still want Windows 10 for free? AlanE 1 220 09-23-2016 07:23 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  Windows 7 and 8.1 Users Crimson Nape 20 773 08-25-2016 08:10 PM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  Windows 10 - Install Heads-Up and a Vent Crimson Nape 11 442 07-24-2016 02:51 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  It's Windows update Tuesday justMongo 8 1,103 02-10-2016 07:04 PM
  Sysinternals Suite update (Windows) AlanE 1 379 01-12-2016 07:38 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
  what's wrong with this fragment of windows batch code? justMongo 18 1,806 09-16-2015 10:46 AM
  Windows frozen justMongo 8 1,155 09-16-2015 03:25 AM
Last Post: YTN3rd