Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

Sex: Male

Windows 7 Purchase
I want to purchase Windows 7 for a laptop computer I've been given as a gift. I've verified that it's plenty powerful enough to run it, has a 64-bit processor, and I do want a legitimate copy so I can update it.

When I shop I get confused. There's the professional version and there's the home version. There's also the "System Builder (OEM)" flavor of the home edition.

Can anyone help me sort this out?

One deal I found is from Side Micro for $72.
WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL SP1 64-BIT FULL VERSION ,DELL

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-04-2014 04:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
eplantz Online

Preferred Members

Machine: S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: H5I
CPAP Pressure: 15-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

RE: Windows 7 Purchase
the Pro versiuon is only needed for businesses (i.e. ability to join a domain controller). just get the home version. if all you find is Pro, take it. it will work fine for you. the system builder is just another licensing variant.
06-04-2014 10:15 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

What he said. All you need is Home edition.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-04-2014 10:22 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
JWR Offline

Monitors

Machine: DreamStation DSX700 , PR 760 bipap auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed mirage FX
Humidifier: DreamStation DSXH , system one
CPAP Pressure: min EPAP = 17.5max IPAP = 21

Other Comments:

(06-04-2014 10:22 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  What he said. All you need is Home edition.

You two get to play with the copy of Zorin yet ? I Know SS thinks its cool .Cool Home should be just fine unless your using it for business stuff , unless you can get Pro for around the same price . Have fun Guys !

06-05-2014 12:07 PM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

I've played with Zorin and I like it. Recently installed Lubuntu on that older Inspiron 1501 and it runs slower than Zorin on the D620.

The only thing I can find that's less expensive than the 64-bit Win 7 pro is the 32-bit version of same, and it's only a few dollars less.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

06-05-2014 03:29 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
glfredrick Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Quatro Mirage
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-18 auto
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: Bi-vocational Pastor

The home version in 64 bit will run nicely and it gives you the headroom to up RAM capacity if you like. The 32 bit version is limited in amount of RAM. I loaded the 32 bit on an older Inspiron laptop (was running XP) and it runs fine, but I did not load Aero and a few of the other higher end elements that would have caused conflicts with the built in video.

Meanwhile I loaded the 64 bit version on my 7-year old home-built computer that was still running an e6300 chip and 4 GB RAM. I did replace the aging video card so I could handle Aero. I then replaced the chip with a P960 quad core and overclocked it a bit. Also upgraded RAM to 16 GB and stuck in a Caviar Black HD. It will run with the big dogs even though it is pushing through an aging chipset on the motherboard. Next and final upgrade to this platform is an SDD drive. I really like Win 7. It is the most robust OS that Micro$oft has ever built. Not yet sure about 8, and I'll move to 8.1 anyway, but that upgrade will probably come with a totally new build.
06-05-2014 04:04 PM
ThatOtherGuy Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: RESMED S9 Autoset on APAP mode
Mask Make & Model: Phillips Amara + chinstrap
Humidifier: RESMED S9
CPAP Pressure: 5 to 17
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Just be careful with a home version, I fell into this trap and when I wanted to install some software that was commercial grade ie business related that I wanted to be able to occasionally use at home it wouldn't work because of some incompatibility. Caveat Emptor. If the price difference is minimal and you can afford it, buy the best option always.
06-05-2014 04:31 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
glfredrick Offline

Preferred Members

Mask Make & Model: Quatro Mirage
CPAP Pressure: 14-18 auto
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: Bi-vocational Pastor

(06-05-2014 04:31 PM)ThatOtherGuy Wrote:  Just be careful with a home version, I fell into this trap and when I wanted to install some software that was commercial grade ie business related that I wanted to be able to occasionally use at home it wouldn't work because of some incompatibility. Caveat Emptor. If the price difference is minimal and you can afford it, buy the best option always.

WIn 7 can be upgraded on the fly via the program itself with a simple download.
06-09-2014 03:04 PM
becker44a Offline

Advisory Members

Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus Lg
CPAP Pressure: Rx 10 - 20cm, Usually 10-14cm

Other Comments:

(06-04-2014 04:16 PM)Sleepster Wrote:  I want to purchase Windows 7 for a laptop computer I've been given as a gift. I've verified that it's plenty powerful enough to run it, has a 64-bit processor, and I do want a legitimate copy so I can update it.

When I shop I get confused. There's the professional version and there's the home version. There's also the "System Builder (OEM)" flavor of the home edition.

. . .

If it were me, I would go for the 64-bit Professional version. The Home editions have traditionally been loaded with all kinds of "Consumer" junk and trialware, some of which can be difficult to remove, and may interfere with programs or products that you wish to use. 64-bit will give you more flexibility to operate with larger amounts of RAM. All 32-bit OSs are only able to operate with 3.6GB, and that is pushing it. The physical machinne may have more RAM, but a 32-bit OS will ignore anything above 3.6G because it cannot address or access it. Also, the software world is moving toward 64-bit, and eventually more and more applications will only run in 64-bit environments.

The other major thing that the Pro version has is an option to install and use XP Mode. This is not included in the original Win7 Pro install - it is a separate download and installation step. What it does is create a virtual machine containing a pre-activated copy of 32-bit Windows XP, in case you need to install and run some software that won't cooperate with Windows 7 or 64-bit environments. I have done this on my own machine, and I have a few applications that must be run in XP-mode. It is possible to install such an application in the XP Mode VM, and create an icon on the normal Win7 desktop that will automatically boot up the VM and launch the application when desired. The XP Mode feature was included to help persuade Corporate customers to migrate to Windows 7, as the Vista debacle was still fresh in their minds.

The System Builder version is not intended for individuals, but rather for people/organizations who are going to build computers, and then pre-load a copy of Windows 7 that will be setup to do the registration and activation steps when the their final customer boots it the first time.

Hope this helps.
A.Becker
06-09-2014 03:55 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
ThatOtherGuy Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: RESMED S9 Autoset on APAP mode
Mask Make & Model: Phillips Amara + chinstrap
Humidifier: RESMED S9
CPAP Pressure: 5 to 17
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

(06-09-2014 03:04 PM)glfredrick Wrote:  
(06-05-2014 04:31 PM)ThatOtherGuy Wrote:  Just be careful with a home version, I fell into this trap and when I wanted to install some software that was commercial grade ie business related that I wanted to be able to occasionally use at home it wouldn't work because of some incompatibility. Caveat Emptor. If the price difference is minimal and you can afford it, buy the best option always.

WIn 7 can be upgraded on the fly via the program itself with a simple download.
My system was XP at the time, must have been the crapulous home version because I wasn't able to upgrade it.
06-09-2014 04:03 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Still want Windows 10 for free? AlanE 1 220 09-23-2016 07:23 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  Windows 7 and 8.1 Users Crimson Nape 20 775 08-25-2016 08:10 PM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  Windows 10 - Install Heads-Up and a Vent Crimson Nape 11 442 07-24-2016 02:51 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  It's Windows update Tuesday justMongo 8 1,108 02-10-2016 07:04 PM
  Sysinternals Suite update (Windows) AlanE 1 380 01-12-2016 07:38 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
  Windows 10 AlanE 103 10,064 11-17-2015 12:12 PM
  what's wrong with this fragment of windows batch code? justMongo 18 1,808 09-16-2015 10:46 AM