Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-18 auto
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: Bi-vocational Pastor

Sex: Male

RE: Windows 7 Purchase
(06-09-2014 04:03 PM)ThatOtherGuy Wrote:  
(06-09-2014 03:04 PM)glfredrick Wrote:  
(06-05-2014 04:31 PM)ThatOtherGuy Wrote:  Just be careful with a home version, I fell into this trap and when I wanted to install some software that was commercial grade ie business related that I wanted to be able to occasionally use at home it wouldn't work because of some incompatibility. Caveat Emptor. If the price difference is minimal and you can afford it, buy the best option always.

WIn 7 can be upgraded on the fly via the program itself with a simple download.
My system was XP at the time, must have been the crapulous home version because I wasn't able to upgrade it.

Win 7 cannot be upgraded over XP in any case. It is always a fresh install even if it is an upgrade package (the upgrade and the completely new software are one and the same, only the upgrade has a few extra helps to get the person doing the upgrade on the way to a successful install).

I NEVER install any Windows product over an earlier version. Fresh installs always make for the best experience. And yes, one CAN use the upgrade package for a totally fresh install (see above).
06-10-2014 09:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

I just upgrade my Win 8.1 laptop to Win 7 Pro. Of course it was a total reformat of the hard drive, but I am used to that. I found my copy of Win 7 Pro on ebay for a decent price. The place I used was recommended by several friends who are part of the same tech group I am in. IM me and I can give you the company's info. The sell a lot of "obsolete" software with the profits going to charities.
06-12-2014 12:46 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Sleepster, you ever purchase a copy? If so, where did you get it?

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-13-2014 06:58 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

I haven't bought it yet. I'm waiting to see if it'll be worth it. First I need a decent battery so I'm not tethered by the power cord at all times, and a RAM upgrade.

Sidemicro has the 64-bit version of Windows 7 Pro for $72.

Homerec, did you get a better deal on ebay?

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-18-2014 11:34 AM
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

(06-18-2014 11:34 AM)Sleepster Wrote:  I haven't bought it yet. I'm waiting to see if it'll be worth it. First I need a decent battery so I'm not tethered by the power cord at all times, and a RAM upgrade.

Sidemicro has the 64-bit version of Windows 7 Pro for $72.

Homerec, did you get a better deal on ebay?

Sleepster,

I paid a bit more (I think around 100) and it included the disk for service pack one. I saw a couple of cheaper versions that I didn't bite on - afraid they may not be licensed versions. The computer guy I help out recommended Project_Contact and I went with them. He sends me most of the Mac stuff he can't figure out.

Homer
06-18-2014 04:13 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
djjwilly Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Elite S9
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed AirFit P10 and chinstrap
Humidifier: Resmed Elite H 5i
CPAP Pressure: 10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Sex: Female
As far as I remember, the home version doesn't come with Microsoft Office, which I assumed was loaded. I ended up buying it and it was expensive. I wish I'd checked into Open Office or other free word processing programs available. Never thought of it. Also, outlook express isn't included. I don't use it so it was no big deal. DJ
06-23-2014 10:35 AM
glfredrick Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Quatro Mirage

(06-23-2014 10:35 AM)djjwilly Wrote:  As far as I remember, the home version doesn't come with Microsoft Office, which I assumed was loaded. I ended up buying it and it was expensive. I wish I'd checked into Open Office or other free word processing programs available. Never thought of it. Also, outlook express isn't included. I don't use it so it was no big deal. DJ

No Windows OS comes with Office. Though sold by the same Microsoft, Office is a stand-alone program that adds into the OS.

Open Office works, but doesn't always dovetail smoothly to Office. If you don't have to share files that is no biggie. If you do, just spring for Office. It can be had rather inexpensively if you know someone who is in education. They give huge discounts for educational use.
06-24-2014 08:08 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

(06-24-2014 08:08 AM)glfredrick Wrote:  
(06-23-2014 10:35 AM)djjwilly Wrote:  As far as I remember, the home version doesn't come with Microsoft Office, which I assumed was loaded. I ended up buying it and it was expensive. I wish I'd checked into Open Office or other free word processing programs available. Never thought of it. Also, outlook express isn't included. I don't use it so it was no big deal. DJ

No Windows OS comes with Office. Though sold by the same Microsoft, Office is a stand-alone program that adds into the OS.

Open Office works, but doesn't always dovetail smoothly to Office. If you don't have to share files that is no biggie. If you do, just spring for Office. It can be had rather inexpensively if you know someone who is in education. They give huge discounts for educational use.

If you are going to go with an open source version, go with Libre Office. It is the same folks who originally developed OpenOffice, but when Oracle bought the idea, they did not like the direction OpenOffice was going so the left and formed their own company. I think the latest version of LibreOffice is around 4.3 and is available for multiple platforms - Windoze, MAC, Linux. I have it installed on both my Mac and Windoze computers and use it for files the office won't open. I also have the 5 user Office 365 subscription that also gives me a full working version of Office on my iPad.
06-24-2014 01:27 PM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

(06-24-2014 08:08 AM)glfredrick Wrote:  If you do, just spring for Office. It can be had rather inexpensively if you know someone who is in education. They give huge discounts for educational use.

Costs $10 per computer. Micro$oft doesn't want educators getting used to other office suites on their home computers. They might start using them at work, poisoning the minds of students.

I think Windows does come with a watered-down version of MS Office, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's only on the "Home" version. It's the same marketing strategy.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

06-24-2014 09:30 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
glfredrick Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Quatro Mirage

(06-24-2014 09:30 PM)Sleepster Wrote:  
(06-24-2014 08:08 AM)glfredrick Wrote:  If you do, just spring for Office. It can be had rather inexpensively if you know someone who is in education. They give huge discounts for educational use.

Costs $10 per computer. Micro$oft doesn't want educators getting used to other office suites on their home computers. They might start using them at work, poisoning the minds of students.

I think Windows does come with a watered-down version of MS Office, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's only on the "Home" version. It's the same marketing strategy.

Of course it is marketing...

But, what are the alternatives? Please tell me what works as good as Office!

And, again, OFFICE is a stand alone program. It does not come bundled with the Operating System, which Win 7, 8, XP, etc., all are.

Here is a link to Office 365, the 2013 version of Office.
[commercial link removed per Apnea Board Rules - see info below]

Here are the system requirements to run Office 2013:

Quote:System Requirements:

Required Processor - 1 gigahertz (Ghz) or faster x86- or x64-bit processor with SSE2 instruction set

Required Operating System - Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, or Windows Server 2012

Required Memory - 3.0 GB available

Required Hard Disk Space - 3 GB available disk space

Required Display - Graphics hardware acceleration requires a DirectX10 graphics card and 1024 x 576 resolution

Required Software - .NET version 3.5, 4.0, or 4.5

Required Browser - Microsoft Internet Explorer 8, 9, or 10; Mozilla Firefox 10.x or a later version; Apple Safari 5; or Google Chrome 17.x

Additional System Requirements - Multi-touch: A touch-enabled device is required to use any multi-touch functionality. However, all features and functionality are always available by using a keyboard, mouse, or other standard or accessible input device. Note that new touch features are optimized for use with Windows 8.

Other System Requirements

Some functionality may vary, based on the system configuration. Some features may require additional or advanced hardware or server connectivity.

Note: System requirements are rounded up to the nearest 0.5 GB, to be conservative. For example, if we measure an application’s required hard disk space to be 1.99 GB, we recommend 2.5 GB of disk space. Our hard disk system requirements are intentionally larger than the actual disk space usage of the software.

A graphics processor helps increase the performance of certain features, such as drawing tables in Excel 2013 or transitions, animations, and video integration in PowerPoint 2013. Use of a graphics processor with Office 2013 requires a Microsoft DirectX 10-compliant graphics processor that has 64 MB of video memory. These processors were widely available in 2007. Most computers that are available today include a graphics processor that meets or exceeds this standard. However, if you not have a graphics processor, you can still run Office 2013.

Oh, and I have EVERY major office-type software package installed on my home machine because I edit and format doctoral dissertations as a home business. I'm familiar with the ins and outs of most of the popular packages, some I have just because I have to translate between programs to make things work and I've never taken the time to really dig in, but again, which of the rivals even comes close to M$ Office for functionality, usability, and pure performance?

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

Per Apnea Board Rules, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.

If you would like to help another member with a commercial link that does not lead to CPAP supplier, the easiest way to do that is to say something like, "Do a Google search for 'xyxproducts'". In this case, you might suggest they search for "academic super store", then search on that site for Windows 7. If you do that, please make sure that your post doesn't contain the '.com' or '.net' type endings, which would make it a web address in violation of the rules. Alternatively, you could send them a Private Message (PM), or post your link in our Commercial Posts Forum - you may then direct others to that post. Thanks for your understanding.
-----
06-25-2014 12:05 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Still want Windows 10 for free? AlanE 1 215 09-23-2016 07:23 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  Windows 7 and 8.1 Users Crimson Nape 20 765 08-25-2016 08:10 PM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  Windows 10 - Install Heads-Up and a Vent Crimson Nape 11 433 07-24-2016 02:51 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  It's Windows update Tuesday justMongo 8 1,094 02-10-2016 07:04 PM
  Sysinternals Suite update (Windows) AlanE 1 377 01-12-2016 07:38 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
  Windows 10 AlanE 103 10,009 11-17-2015 12:12 PM
  what's wrong with this fragment of windows batch code? justMongo 18 1,796 09-16-2015 10:46 AM