Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Windows 7 Purchase
Quote:But, what are the alternatives? Please tell me what works as good as Office!

Easy. OpenOffice. Does everything Office does but for free. PowerPoint, Access, Excel, and Word = Presentation, Base, Calc, and Writer. Oh, and OpenOffice also has Draw and Math. All free, all open source.

OpenOffice can open, read, edit, and save in all of the Office formats as well as many formats. As a writer, my editor and I can see each others comments and can track each others changes while I use OpenOffice and she uses Word.

Oh, and OpenOffice can work on Windows, Linux, OS X, and can also be portable (USB drive).

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-25-2014 05:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

(06-25-2014 05:18 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  
Quote:But, what are the alternatives? Please tell me what works as good as Office!

Easy. OpenOffice. Does everything Office does but for free. PowerPoint, Access, Excel, and Word = Presentation, Base, Calc, and Writer. Oh, and OpenOffice also has Draw and Math. All free, all open source.

OpenOffice can open, read, edit, and save in all of the Office formats as well as many formats. As a writer, my editor and I can see each others comments and can track each others changes while I use OpenOffice and she uses Word.

Oh, and OpenOffice can work on Windows, Linux, OS X, and can also be portable (USB drive).

I use Open Office and I will disagree with you on one thing, Paula. The database portion is strictly a viewer on my version which is Apache Open Office 4.0.1. I was very disappointed when I found that out because I needed a database program.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
06-25-2014 10:29 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Really? That's a bummer. I've not used the database in a while. I used it to track my submissions of non-fiction articles.

ETA: I just checked the AOO forums and it seems folks are using it as a database. So you must mean it can only view Access database, not edit them. Can you view then "save as"?

Never mind. I think I understand now. Kinda. I think. LOL. Found this: (talking about trying to import a PayPal cvs file)

Quote:If you are wondering why I am talking about all this stuff and why not just using Base as a database ...
This is the typical misconception: Base is not a Database, it is the counter part of MS Access in OpenOffice, that's right. But this is rather a marketing statement and not a real world statement. The fact is that Base is only a frontend to several (external/third party) database backends and it only happens to have an embedded backend that pretends that Base is a database. If you regulary read this forum you quickly
learn to know that the embedded database tends to show severe errors. Do yourself a favour and do not use the embedded database for real business.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-26-2014 12:08 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

I bought a new Dell 8700 with Win 7 64bit pro and MS Office 2013 on it.
I then took my 4 year old Dell XPS 630i and swapped in a new hard drive; then put windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit on it.
I bought an OEM copy. I was able to put my Office 2007 back on it since it's the same hardware.

I did the same with my Dell 1525 laptop -- but, I swapped the drive for a Crucial (Micron) 500GB Solid State Drive.

I'm considering cloning the Dell 8700, 1 TB Seagate HDD to an MX550 Crucial 1 TB SSD.

06-26-2014 12:38 PM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

Can someone translate the passage that Paula quoted? Well, all I really want to know is if that warning applies to MS Access, too. If it does it might explain a lot of the problems we had at my workplace.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

06-26-2014 03:28 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0

Other Comments:

My interpretation was that the warning applied to the database(?) in Open Office only.
06-26-2014 06:55 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Still want Windows 10 for free? AlanE 1 220 09-23-2016 07:23 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  Windows 7 and 8.1 Users Crimson Nape 20 773 08-25-2016 08:10 PM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  Windows 10 - Install Heads-Up and a Vent Crimson Nape 11 442 07-24-2016 02:51 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  It's Windows update Tuesday justMongo 8 1,103 02-10-2016 07:04 PM
  Sysinternals Suite update (Windows) AlanE 1 379 01-12-2016 07:38 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
  Windows 10 AlanE 103 10,054 11-17-2015 12:12 PM
  what's wrong with this fragment of windows batch code? justMongo 18 1,806 09-16-2015 10:46 AM