Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Sex: Male

RE: Windows 7 and 8.1 Users
I haven't been researching the updates recently but I would not be surprised if many of these 7, 8.1 updates are m$ telemetry. I've stopped all updates on 7 since I only use it for decoding trunked radio systems.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
08-19-2016 10:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
FrankNichols Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed F10 and/or P10
Humidifier: Builtin
CPAP Pressure: 17-19
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: I've figured out how to get my AHI down to 5, I quit sleeping!

I took the 100% guaranteed route of keeping Windows 10 off of my computer - I converted my computer into a Hackintosh and now happily run MacOS 10.12 (Sierra). My wife however, is a die hard windows user, and upgraded to windows 10 - it has been "interesting" supporting her system.

I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
08-19-2016 11:13 AM
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

Frank,

How does Sierra look in regard to El Capitan? I haven't downloaded the beta yet for my laptop as I won't be able to run it on my late-2007 iMac which is running El Capitan quite well.

I figure my emags have the info,but I am behind in that area.

Homer
08-20-2016 02:23 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
FrankNichols Offline

Advisory Members

(08-20-2016 02:23 PM)Homerec130 Wrote:  Frank,

How does Sierra look in regard to El Capitan? I haven't downloaded the beta yet for my laptop as I won't be able to run it on my late-2007 iMac which is running El Capitan quite well.

I figure my emags have the info,but I am behind in that area.

Homer

I am very happy with Sierra, there are both ups and downs. Safari has always given me trouble, and I really want it to work. It appears my problems are not unique to being a Hack. It tends to lock the machine when an ad is set to autoplay on a website and that ad meets some criteria - not sure what, I assume Apple is "protecting" me and the protection doesn't quite work yet. Googling it, I see lots of reports of Safari having issues with Videos and with Displaying PDFs.

It appears Safari (with Sierra) is better at displaying PDFs than El-Capitan was (for me). I got into the habit of just downloading them and using preview to display them, since in El-Capitan they always displayed blank - now they mostly display correctly in Sierra Safari.

Siri seems to work pretty well, I have not tested it extensively. I use Siri for almost everything on my iPad, but don't feel comfortable asking Siri to do things on my desktop - yet.

Other than that it is extremely stable and fast. It feels faster than El-Capitan to me. I run a home built:

This is what Sierra thinks it is running on - the hardware is about what I have:

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
Processor: 2.99 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2047 MB

I have about 8TB of HD's with a 1TB combined with a 500GB SSD into a fusion drive for the system to run from.

And a pair of 23 inch ViewSonic 1920x1080 displays.

As said very stable and very fast. Everything works and all updates are automatic - I get my beta updates from the Developer channel, and I think I had to get a new boot loader on dev beta 2, but other than that one time all 6 betas have loaded, installed and run perfectly - even though this is a home built system and not a Macintosh. Apple has done a stellar job of refining the HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) so the system pretty much doesn't care what hardware it runs on.

Not sure what else to say. I am very happy with Sierra, in the tradition of all OS X updates it is not revolutionary, just evolutionary. And it's about time they changed the name to MacOS instead of OS X - lol...

Frank

EDIT: Oh, I have an Aspire Laptop that is running El-Capitan and haven't updated it to Sierra yet. Laptops tend to be a little more fussy and I prefer to have only one of my systems on Beta at a time. Smile My wife and I play a lot of online gaming and use TeamSpeak all day to talk to each other with our headsets on. Sierra beta one broke TeamSpeak ( haven't checked to see if TS has been updated yet) and so I was banished from our office to the bedroom and the laptop until TeamSpeak started working again (on Beta 2).

I'd Rather Be Sleeping
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2016 03:31 PM by FrankNichols.)
08-20-2016 03:28 PM
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Thanks for the words.

I don't run Siri on my iPad as it is a Generation 2 and I think it is starting to show its age - a bunch of little things like continually dropping a known good wifi connection.

My laptop is my travel and meeting machine as well as sit in front of the TV and surf. I do most of my graphic and sound work on the iMac. I am in the process of configuring my Lenovo POS laptop so my wife has a dedicated machine she can use. She does most of her stuff either on her phone or Kindle fire.

I also have a Verizon Ellipsis 10" sitting in the box that I got for free when we updated our cell phones a while back. Still looking for a keyboard/case for it. Most likely it will replace the iPad.

Homer
08-22-2016 01:21 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
surferdude2 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro & Optilife
Humidifier: ResMed H5i @ #3 if nose breathing & #5 if mouth breathing
CPAP Pressure: 12 ~ 20 & 11 ~12 if nasal mask
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Late stage 2 emphysema

(08-22-2016 01:21 PM)Homerec130 Wrote:  Thanks for the words.

I don't run Siri on my iPad as it is a Generation 2 and I think it is starting to show its age - a bunch of little things like continually dropping a known good wifi connection.

My laptop is my travel and meeting machine as well as sit in front of the TV and surf. I do most of my graphic and sound work on the iMac. I am in the process of configuring my Lenovo POS laptop so my wife has a dedicated machine she can use. She does most of her stuff either on her phone or Kindle fire.

I also have a Verizon Ellipsis 10" sitting in the box that I got for free when we updated our cell phones a while back. Still looking for a keyboard/case for it. Most likely it will replace the iPad.

Homer

Homer, Since I'm the hot shot IT person for my grand-niece and her Ipad I'll share what I had to do to make it hang on to the wireless connection AFTER it was updated a couple months ago. It never had a problem until that update.

It seems the updated system won't detect the wifi router if the router is running in N mode and has selected a speed higher than 54 Mbps. The cure is to slow the router down to the legacy mode of 54 Mbps. Granted that only works when you're connecting to your own router but that's all some folks need to cure their problem.

I used 192.168.1.1 in the browser address field to access my router's web based settings tool. It'll ask for id and password, generally id = admin and password = password but check your documentation if you have trouble getting into the settings. When you get in, click on the wireless button and then scroll the mode field to 54 Mbps. Log out and then power down the router, wait a few seconds and the boot it up.

We can hope that Apple will address the issue sooner or later.

Dude
08-22-2016 01:51 PM
FrankNichols Offline

Advisory Members

Homer

I understand, my wife lives on her iPad. She hated it when we got the iPad 1 over 6 years ago, and grew to depend on it totally. The version 1 lasted about 4 1/2 years and we upgraded her to an iPad Air and she was astounded with the performance difference and features. I got and iPad Air 2 based on her glowing reviews and love it.

I have a couple raspberry pi's around and keep threatening to make a tablet out of them (one of the PIs is a yogurt maker that my wife can monitor and control from the iPad via our wifi.) Another Pi is an incubator for our chickens and a couple are desk weights. Smile

I make our desktops. I prefer to invest a couple hundred every year or so to upgrade parts instead of buying prebuilt. I always upgrade both hers and mine - it helps with trouble shooting with there are two machines with identical parts I can switch out and figure out what is broken.

With a box full of retired parts, I occasionally make a linux server to sit around and burn electricity until I get bored with them and tear them apart and put the parts back in the junk pile.

Frank.

I'd Rather Be Sleeping
08-22-2016 02:13 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

(08-22-2016 01:51 PM)surferdude2 Wrote:  

Homer, Since I'm the hot shot IT person for my grand-niece and her Ipad I'll share what I had to do to make it hang on to the wireless connection AFTER it was updated a couple months ago. It never had a problem until that update.

It seems the updated system won't detect the wifi router if the router is running in N mode and has selected a speed higher than 54 Mbps. The cure is to slow the router down to the legacy mode of 54 Mbps. Granted that only works when you're connecting to your own router but that's all some folks need to cure their problem.

I used 192.168.1.1 in the browser address field to access my router's web based settings tool. It'll ask for id and password, generally id = admin and password = password but check your documentation if you have trouble getting into the settings. When you get in, click on the wireless button and then scroll the mode field to 54 Mbps. Log out and then power down the router, wait a few seconds and the boot it up.

We can hope that Apple will address the issue sooner or later.

Dude

I think the real problem with my iPad at home is Xfinity Gateway I have. I have their dual band (2.4 and 5) one that I rent from them. I want to say it is an Arias. I have found it is cheaper to rent over buy as every 8 months or so, I end up replacing it when they send one of their "firmware updates" and essentially brick it. Have some friends that work for them as techs and they have told me this is a common problem. When I had the old Motorola surfboard modem they bricked one of those on me and didn't even say I'm sorry. Guess you can do what you want when you are the only game in town other than CenturyLink which isn't much better in customer service and attitude.

Homer
08-23-2016 02:03 PM
FrankNichols Offline

Advisory Members

Homer, I leave the providers modem/router alone (mostly) and put my own dual band right behind it and have all my connections made to it instead. We have had no problems with WiFi connections on any of the iStuff (pad, phone, pod, notebook and Hackintosh). I was surprised Sierra on the Hack worked with the WiFi, since that is one area hacks normally limp on. Other than adding a USB WiFi dongle it worked first time.

I'd Rather Be Sleeping
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2016 02:15 PM by FrankNichols.)
08-23-2016 02:15 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Been a fun week with Xfinity - I replaced the Arris modem on Tuesday, they came out on Wednesday, checked all the lines, and replaced that modem with another Arris unit. Doing the same thing that first one was doing - internet, no phone, then the phone would come back, but no internet. Got up this morning, went into the office - only the power light and modem would't restart. Called the tech from yesterday and within an hour, two senior techs were there. Rechecked everything from the first visit (concurred with his findings, all lines were good). Put in a new drop from the street (just to take that out of the equation) and swapped out the Arris modem with a Cisco. Found out they have been having a lot of issues with the Arris modems as they don't like to work after getting any type of update.

So far so good. Have things set up so I get my stuff done for Sunday's service and sneaker it to the laptop if needed and find a secure wi-fi to send it out and upload if needed.

The joys of first world.

Homer
08-25-2016 06:43 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Still want Windows 10 for free? AlanE 1 220 09-23-2016 07:23 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  Windows 10 - Install Heads-Up and a Vent Crimson Nape 11 442 07-24-2016 02:51 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  It's Windows update Tuesday justMongo 8 1,108 02-10-2016 07:04 PM
  Sysinternals Suite update (Windows) AlanE 1 380 01-12-2016 07:38 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
  Windows 10 AlanE 103 10,065 11-17-2015 12:12 PM
  what's wrong with this fragment of windows batch code? justMongo 18 1,809 09-16-2015 10:46 AM
  Windows frozen justMongo 8 1,156 09-16-2015 03:25 AM
Last Post: YTN3rd