Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Windows Defender
Sorry about the commercial links.

However, be VERY careful downloading antivirus type programs from the web.

For every valid program like malwarebytes, there are several websites that offer downloads of that program, but give you a modified copy loaded with viruses. Or it will be something with a confusingly similar name.

That's why I always post links to such programs rather than mentioning just the name.

Maybe there's a supersleeper approved alternative way to list the links, such as "xyz dot org".

There are also lots of phony "antivirus" programs that are viruses on their own.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
02-27-2015 11:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

Sex: Male

I think when you start searching for a specific anti-virus/anti-malware program selecting the manufacturer's page is the safest option. Another good source is CDNET.

If you do get hit, disconnect the system from your network/internet to avoid further infection. Also, if you have a second computer, do your research and downloads on the second system and then use a flash drive to transfer any software you may need to download and install. Be sure to scan the flash drive when you put it back in the clean computer. I have my software set to automatically scan any external storage device.

Even though my main machine is a Mac, I still run anti-virus on it as well as a malware scanner. I am not paranoid, however, I have worked with government and sensitive systems enough to remember that taking that extra step will prevent problems later on.

Homer
02-28-2015 10:56 AM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(02-28-2015 10:56 AM)Homerec130 Wrote:  ...I have worked with government and sensitive systems enough to remember that taking that extra step will prevent problems later on.

Homer

I have worked in SCIF's where infection was supposed to be impossible -- all external media devices were disconnected or locked out. In and out of the SCIF was through KG boxes to a CWAN. Still we ran Norton. And, if a system were to get infected there would have been 5 men with rifles and a blindfold involved.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
02-28-2015 01:29 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

(02-27-2015 01:30 PM)justMongo Wrote:  Google the phone number!
me50: did you fall for that telephone scam where they call impersonating MicroSoft; then you end up giving them remote access to your computer.
If you have any personal info or banking info, you should consider it compromised.

nope. we don't have a land line and even if we did or they called our cell phone (if they could get the number), I am not very trusting of anything like that so I would not fall for that and would probably report them to the AG office or wherever I was directed to once contacting the AG office.
02-28-2015 02:38 PM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

What I need is some help with simple instructions on how to turn defender on. I also would like to know if it also watches for other types of problems that McAfee does because if I have to uninstall McAfee, I need to make sure I have the same protection if not better than I get with McAfee.

Thanks
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2015 02:43 PM by me50.)
02-28-2015 02:41 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
surferdude2 Online

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro & Optilife
Humidifier: ResMed H5i @ #3 if nose breathing & #5 if mouth breathing
CPAP Pressure: 12 ~ 20 & 11 ~12 if nasal mask
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Late stage 2 emphysema

Uninstall McAfee and then type ACTION in a Win8 search field and when Action Center appears as an option, click on it. There you will see all the screen options you need to get Defender back up and running. From there onward, the process is intuitive.

ps. As an aside, Do not ever have more than one AV program installed at any one time. Furthermore, even if your AV program gives you a clean slate, run MalwareBytes occasionally anyway. Weekly is usually sufficient unless you have symptoms of malware. Also keep in mind that if you get some screen popping up out of the blue and telling you that you have virus infections and will not let you close the screen without clicking on it, just hold down the ctrl alt key and press the F4 key repeatedly (or as an alternate, hold in the on/off switch until the system shuts down). That closes the popup and you're safe as opposed to clicking anywhere on a popup screen and not knowing what effect you will get.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2015 04:07 PM by surferdude2.)
02-28-2015 03:00 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(02-28-2015 02:38 PM)me50 Wrote:  
me50: did you fall for that telephone scam where they call impersonating MicroSoft; then you end up giving them remote access to your computer.
If you have any personal info or banking info, you should consider it compromised.

nope. we don't have a land line and even if we did or they called our cell phone (if they could get the number), I am not very trusting of anything like that so I would not fall for that and would probably report them to the AG office or wherever I was directed to once contacting the AG office.

Still urge you to Google the phone number that shows up on the screenshot you posted. 800notes points it to scammers.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
02-28-2015 04:54 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

(02-28-2015 03:00 PM)surferdude2 Wrote:  Uninstall McAfee and then type ACTION in a Win8 search field and when Action Center appears as an option, click on it. There you will see all the screen options you need to get Defender back up and running. From there onward, the process is intuitive.

ps. As an aside, Do not ever have more than one AV program installed at any one time. Furthermore, even if your AV program gives you a clean slate, run MalwareBytes occasionally anyway. Weekly is usually sufficient unless you have symptoms of malware. Also keep in mind that if you get some screen popping up out of the blue and telling you that you have virus infections and will not let you close the screen without clicking on it, just hold down the ctrl alt key and press the F4 key repeatedly (or as an alternate, hold in the on/off switch until the system shuts down). That closes the popup and you're safe as opposed to clicking anywhere on a popup screen and not knowing what effect you will get.

So, are you saying that I can't have Trend Micro and defender at the same time? I don't know if TM has a firewall but somehow I don't think so. So, if TM can stay on my laptop and I can have defender too, then I should be able to use the MS firewall too. So, the big question is, can I have Trend Micro and Defender at the same time?

I will google it and see if I can come up with an answer in the meantime.

Thanks
02-28-2015 11:42 PM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

(02-28-2015 04:54 PM)justMongo Wrote:  
(02-28-2015 02:38 PM)me50 Wrote:  

Still urge you to Google the phone number that shows up on the screenshot you posted. 800notes points it to scammers.

I knew what was going on when the pop up came up. I didn't call the number and I didn't google the phone number because I have seen this type of thing before where you get a message that you could have a virus and call this number to get it fixed.

since McAfee and upgrades are provided as a part of the exorbitant fee we pay for internet service, I am going to get rid of it because the internet provider service has gone downhill a lot in the past year and I bet they aren't keeping/paying for the McAfee upgrades which means all their customers are not being provided the latest protection. Their excuse was that there are so many new viruses that companies like McAfee can't keep up with all of them and sometimes viruses sneak through. hmmmph....yea right. anyway, I have a plan in mind.

Thanks
02-28-2015 11:50 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
surferdude2 Online

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro & Optilife
Humidifier: ResMed H5i @ #3 if nose breathing & #5 if mouth breathing
CPAP Pressure: 12 ~ 20 & 11 ~12 if nasal mask
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Late stage 2 emphysema

(02-28-2015 11:42 PM)me50 Wrote:  So, the big question is, can I have Trend Micro and Defender at the same time?

No. If you install and run two different AV programs at the same time, you will be vulnerable to attack and have performance issues as well.

I use Defender and the Windows native firewall and find it to be ample and of less burden than 3rd party items.

Of course I create daily incremental drive images and maintain an in depth archive of them in case I ever run into a problem that cannot be solved easily and with confidence that it isn't still lurking.

Microsoft and others who are well versed in keeping systems safe and free from attack advise reloading a fresh copy or a reliable previous image when a system becomes compromised since they don't consider such a system to be reliable and safe after any serious infection that requires in depth cleansing with any known AV program. I agree with that assessment.

That is not to say you can't clean some of the lesser evil malware type of infections and still have a reliable and safe system. MalwareBytes works well with malware infections and I consider it as a safe cure for those types
. Malware and virus are different entities and malware is much less dangerous and damaging to a system than a virus or Trojan infection.

Best regards,
Dude
03-01-2015 12:36 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Still want Windows 10 for free? AlanE 1 219 09-23-2016 07:23 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  Windows 7 and 8.1 Users Crimson Nape 20 769 08-25-2016 08:10 PM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  Windows 10 - Install Heads-Up and a Vent Crimson Nape 11 436 07-24-2016 02:51 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  It's Windows update Tuesday justMongo 8 1,098 02-10-2016 07:04 PM
  Sysinternals Suite update (Windows) AlanE 1 378 01-12-2016 07:38 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
  Windows 10 AlanE 103 10,023 11-17-2015 12:12 PM
  what's wrong with this fragment of windows batch code? justMongo 18 1,800 09-16-2015 10:46 AM