Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Windows index file on SD card - somebody had a patch?
Question 
Windows index file on SD card - somebody had a patch?
I recently changed computers and as the new one doesn't have a built-in card reader I've been using a USB reader. Unfortunately it doesn't recognise that the card is locked and my S9 is falling foul of the index file problem (which keeps reformatting the card, which is a pain).

I recall somebody had a Windows 10 patch to stop this happening. If that person could help out I'd be very grateful.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Windows index file on SD card - somebody had a patch?
This?

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid257379
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
The link listed was to a website I no longer have.  Here is the local AB link to the System Volume Write Disable file:
System Volume Write Disable/Enable
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks gentlemen - that worked like a charm!
Post Reply Post Reply
A reminder that Windows frequently "updates" itself. On the last such occasion it removed this patch and consequently ruined my data card. (Had to reformat and lost all the old data). Once again, a good case for regular backups.
Post Reply Post Reply
Check my Useful Links in my signature line below. 

There are procedures to prevent Windoze from damaging S9 data cards.  You'll probably have to go to the solution that involves editing the registry. 

These instructions do not turn off search indexing for the whole machine, it just stops Windoze from screwing up SD cards by writing files to it without asking.

There are also instructions to repair an S9 data card without losing your data.

BTW, shame on ResMed for writing such horrible software that the machine refuses to read the card because files were added.  And on Microsoft for screwing with external data cards without permission from the user.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I included the patch in the SD Card Wiki. If you can think of a better place, please put it there. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...emory_card

Prevent System Files From Being Written to SD Card
You will need to have the card in the Write Enabled (unlocked) condition while it is in the S9 and Write Protected (locked) prior to inserting it into your computer. Also, some of the newer low cost card readers do not have the micro switch installed in the unit. This means that even if you have it write-protected, it may not stop it from having the system files written by the PC.

To be safe you may wish to download and use the following script. It will turn off(or back on) this feature on your PC. Prevent SysVol Info Write http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/attachm...p?aid=7621
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Due to the popularity of this file, SuperSleeper has moved it here:
https://www.apneaboard.com/SysVolWrite.zip
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
It might be worth documenting how to unzip the file and run the .reg files.
Useful links.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Crimson NapeDue to the popularity of this file, SuperSleeper has moved it here:
https://www.apneaboard.com/SysVolWrite.zip

I'm getting a little heartburn over

"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies]

"WriteProtect"=dword:00000000
"
and it's obverse.  

Does this disable the write protect switch function, or what?   Feels dangerous to me.

The search index on removable media feels less dangerous.
Useful links.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResM AirCurve 11 VAuto - Where to send zip file Empty13220 1 85 04-09-2024, 09:07 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Where Oscar put the data file? Rosacer24 0 159 03-22-2024, 12:16 AM
Last Post: Rosacer24
  OSCAR Windows Portable No-Install CraigKevin 17 2,555 03-14-2024, 02:25 AM
Last Post: Ossy01
  python file converter for EMAY sleep pulse oximeter joeblough 1 676 03-04-2024, 10:26 PM
Last Post: ElectricalPaul
  multiple windows ? zaienk 4 360 01-17-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  SpO2 Assistant Data File Conversion WSHenry 3 3,166 01-11-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: BiggerDog
  AirSense 11 Data download csv file vs. card tkblizard 3 559 12-29-2023, 04:33 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.