Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Windpipe totally closing while falling asleep
Windpipe totally closing while falling asleep
Hi, I have just been diagnosed with mild OSA. I am just beginning CPAP this week (its been 5 days). Even with the CPAP, Im getting this weird thing happening to me. In the past, I used to fall asleep and wake up choking. However, this is happening to me BEFORE I fall asleep- I feel my windpipe totally close for a split second and a sudden sensation of fear- then I swallow and its okay. Sometimes I feel a tickle in my throat first or a sharp pain at the front of my neck.

I have heard of laryngospasms, but I do not cough nor do I lose my breath for more than a split second and those people seem to really lose their breathe for an extended time period.

It was happening even on the CPAP machine last night. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Windpipe totally closing while falling asleep
What machine, and what are your pressures?

It is fairly common to be issued an auto machine with the minimum pressure set too low so that it does not provide relief from obstructive apnea. While these machines are automatic, they need to be set properly to be most effective. A machine set to 4-20 is not going to work well for most of us.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your quick reply. Its an APAP Sleep Monitor (its a one week trial machine) and yes, its set to 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
Among the variables that affect sleep apnea there is the position of the bottom jaw. If you are using a full face mask, it can press your lower jaw back somewhat and exacerbate an already troublesome factor involved in the geometry of the airway. That could make the event you are mentioning occur sooner than usual.

You might need to raise your pressure setting but consult with your doctor or respiratory technician first.

Eventually you should fill in your profile information and install software so you can get better advice and manage your own therapy effectively.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2016, 10:34 AM)Lindz Wrote: Thanks for your quick reply. Its an APAP Sleep Monitor (its a one week trial machine) and yes, its set to 4.

Is that the actual machine name? Tell us EVERYTHING it says on the front or top of the unit.

This may help. http://www.apneaboard.com/cpap-machine-p...ur-machine
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2016, 10:34 AM)Lindz Wrote: Thanks for your quick reply. Its an APAP Sleep Monitor (its a one week trial machine) and yes, its set to 4.

Lindz, is this a test to determine if you have sleep apnea? The solution to your problem is pretty simple; just increase the minimum pressure to at least 6.0, but if you are being evaluated for a diagnosis, then the doctor or provider should approve of this change. If this is a therapy device for your use, then once we know the brand and model of the machine, we can help you access the settings to change the pressure yourself.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2016, 10:39 AM)surferdude2 Wrote: Among the variables that affect sleep apnea there is the position of the bottom jaw. If you are using a full face mask, it can press your lower jaw back somewhat and exacerbate an already troublesome factor involved in the geometry of the airway. That could make the event you are mentioning occur sooner than usual.

Right. I think one of the benefits of nasal and nasal pillows masks is these do not pull back on the jaw. Hybrid masks and Full Face Masks and Total Face Masks (all masks that cover the mouth) pull back on the jaw, often worsening airway obstruction, perhaps necessitating higher treatment pressures.

Also, if the uvula is especially large it can sometimes block the airway and cause choking, in which case I would think surgery would be beneficial.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
OKay here is what is says:
REMSTAR Philips Auto Respironics "A-Flex" System One Sleepmapper Full face mask (Im a mouth breather)

Like I said this is just my trial one.

Post Reply Post Reply
Well it's a fully data capable auto CPAP. You can easily change the minimum pressure and get some relief. If you'd like to do that, just t turn the knob to highlight Setup, then simultaneously press the control knob and the ramp (wedge) button at the same time. Now highlight Setup and press the knob, and you will see the settings. The mode should be set on Auto CPAP, and you need to find Auto min, and select at least 6.0. There are lots of other options. Make note of the Auto Max, and I would turn RAMP to off. When you're done, just press Back. The machine will leave the clinician mode.

Something else you can do is to look at what your most recent and 7 day AHI and pressures are. This is in the INFO screen.

Here is a quick tutorial of what I just described: http://www.apneaboard.com/pr-system-one-...structions If you want a clinician manual, just send and email to apneaboard@gmail.com and put Setup Manual in the subject line and "Respironics PR System One 60 Series REMstar Auto with A-flex" in the body.

Does this mean you are already diagnosed and this is a home titration? I'm guessing it is, and making this change will not adversely affect the outcome.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 153 5 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 269 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 835 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,871 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  [CPAP] Month on CPAP can't stay asleep Trep1018 1 138 03-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  SPO2 still falling with CPAP freedom yayy 12 393 03-07-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: freedom yayy
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.