Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Winnipeg, Manitoba Users?
Winnipeg, Manitoba Users?
So I had a machine for 12 years starting with the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority (WRHA) providing it.  I then had my records transferred to RANA Medical for a few years, before it was transferred again to Vitalaire.  In all those years I was able to keep getting a new mask, tube, filters yearly, covered 100% by the province.

But now I got a new machine, and it turned out to be a brick.  Vitalaire wouldn't give me a DreamStation Auto, since the province wouldn't cover it.  However, a friend of mine, who suggested I look into getting a new maching, deals through Medigas, and they gave him an AirSense 10 Auto for Her, just setting the machine to CPAP mode.  So I got a brick through Vitalaire, he got a good machine through Medigas, all financed through the province.

I ended up buying online, getting a DreamMachine Auto from Monster CPAP.  I paid out of my pocket, and my friend didn't.  It seems Medigas is a better provider than Vitalaire, the latter being stringent about the machine they provide.  They don't care about patient monitoring, just providing the bare essentials needed to satisfy the given prescription.  They're clearly a for-profit company--if I want to buy a better machine through them, I'll be paying twice or more what the online stores sell them for.

So now I have a nice machine that records oodles of data that I can call up on SleepyHead and analyze (I'll post a screenshot to apneaboard soon to get opinions on improving my therapy).  I even bought a FlashAir card and I'm working to get it set up.

But now I have a problem: what happens in ten years when it's time to get a new machine again?  Would Vitalaire still give me a new machine even though the one I used was not bought through them?  Will they still give me a province-paid machine and continue to provide the yearly supplies (and then I buy an Auto version of the machine online that take the same filters)?  I'm relunctant to tell Vitalaire that I'm using a different model, in case they decide not to provide filters for them anymore (the Auto, of course, uses the same filters as the brick), or even the tubing and mask.  Are they even allowed to do that, since they're hired by WRHA to provide yearly supplies at the province's expense?  Maybe I should switch to Medigas as they seem more willing to bend over for a better machine?

Anyone living in Winnipeg who can share their own experiences with Vitalaire or Medigas?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Winnipeg, Manitoba Users?
I don't know anything about Canada, but I have to ask what did the Doctor's prescription say? Did it list a Cpap or an Auto Cpap? Maybe that's where you need to start, with the doctor and get a copy of the script.

I think a supplier would have to fill the script as written by the doctor.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP, one pressure.  Plus, the province only covers CPAP and BiPAP, not Auto CPAP. I asked Vitalaire if I could buy an Auto from them and have them bill the max cost they could to the province, I pay the remainder. Nope, gotta pay the whole cost of an Auto.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum! Wish I could help, but it sounds like Manitoba is far different from Ontario. Who knows what technology will be around or rules governing them will be in 10 years anyway. Best of luck and enjoy your new machine!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2017, 02:28 PM)ateeluck Wrote: So I had a machine for 12 years starting with the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority (WRHA) providing it.  I then had my records transferred to RANA Medical for a few years, before it was transferred again to Vitalaire.  In all those years I was able to keep getting a new mask, tube, filters yearly, covered 100% by the province.

But now I got a new machine, and it turned out to be a brick.  Vitalaire wouldn't give me a DreamStation Auto, since the province wouldn't cover it.  However, a friend of mine, who suggested I look into getting a new maching, deals through Medigas, and they gave him an AirSense 10 Auto for Her, just setting the machine to CPAP mode.  So I got a brick through Vitalaire, he got a good machine through Medigas, all financed through the province.

I ended up buying online, getting a DreamMachine Auto from Monster CPAP.  I paid out of my pocket, and my friend didn't.  It seems Medigas is a better provider than Vitalaire, the latter being stringent about the machine they provide.  They don't care about patient monitoring, just providing the bare essentials needed to satisfy the given prescription.  They're clearly a for-profit company--if I want to buy a better machine through them, I'll be paying twice or more what the online stores sell them for.

So now I have a nice machine that records oodles of data that I can call up on SleepyHead and analyze (I'll post a screenshot to apneaboard soon to get opinions on improving my therapy).  I even bought a FlashAir card and I'm working to get it set up.

But now I have a problem: what happens in ten years when it's time to get a new machine again?  Would Vitalaire still give me a new machine even though the one I used was not bought through them?  Will they still give me a province-paid machine and continue to provide the yearly supplies (and then I buy an Auto version of the machine online that take the same filters)?  I'm relunctant to tell Vitalaire that I'm using a different model, in case they decide not to provide filters for them anymore (the Auto, of course, uses the same filters as the brick), or even the tubing and mask.  Are they even allowed to do that, since they're hired by WRHA to provide yearly supplies at the province's expense?  Maybe I should switch to Medigas as they seem more willing to bend over for a better machine?

Anyone living in Winnipeg who can share their own experiences with Vitalaire or Medigas?

Check your PM as I sent you a message.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2017, 02:40 PM)OpalRose Wrote: I don't know anything about Canada, but I have to ask what did the Doctor's prescription say?  Did it list a Cpap or an Auto Cpap?  Maybe that's where you need to start, with the doctor and get a copy of the script.

I think a supplier would have to fill the script as written by the doctor.

That is not the way it works with the Provincial CPAP plan.
Post Reply Post Reply
The plan in BC is "We will pay for your sleep test.  We will pay for medical complications resulting from not using CPAP.  But we don't pay anything for preventative therapy!"  Go figure.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wouldn't be surprised if Manitoba follows B.C.'s and Alberta's route.  Especially since our current premier is closing half of Winnipeg's ERs and other medical services.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is anyone still monitoring this thread?

I just came back from our Manitoba government approved supplier with an identical response the original poster had.

Last Friday, March 16, I got a replacement for my current machine of over 6 years, which is still working but getting increasingly noisy.
The replacement is the ResMed A 10 CPAP, aka the fixed pressure brick.

The official response this morning is: This is the approved machine. If you want (need) the variable, bring us a new prescription stating you need variable pressure, and we will sell you one for $1600. There is no trade up, you pay the shot.  btw, I have not found an underlying setup menu that would suggest you can reset it to auto.

Several questions; is the A 10 CPAP the same as the Autoset only flashed differently? Is the actual card different? Have any techies here reflashed their units?

Part 2: I checked Supplier #32 and found the Autoset package deal including heated hose and Airfit P10 mask for less than half the asking price here in Winnipeg.
Dire warning from the 'expert' - You have no warranty if you buy online.-   What is the actual experience of our members?

It looks like I will probably be purchasing my own and I would appreciate any constructive feedback and advice from our members.

Thank you
AC
Post Reply Post Reply
I have never know of anyone that was able to convert the CPAP to an Autoset or even a higher level of CPAP like the Elite. I think it is what it is. Sad attitude, but what I would expect from a government medical supplier that is required to issue the lowest price device that meets the requirements.

Supplier 32 states on "About Us": Warranty: Respironics and ResMed offers their standard 3 years manufacturer's warranty for manufacturer's defect(s) on CPAP machines. We facilitate the process for our clients to honor manufacturer's warranty on a case by case basis.

Warranty issues are rare, but the Supplier is an authorized reseller, while some online entities may not be. Most of our listed suppliers are also DMEs but don't handle insurance. They still have the ability to honor warranties.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,181 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  [CPAP] Breas Z2 users? acctingman 18 3,157 10-30-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: MontezumasViper
  Any Resmed AirSense 10 users near Bend OR? I’m traveling and need help. Mbranning 4 556 10-24-2023, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Mbranning
  New to CPAP - on week 4 of 6 week trial - Any Sefam S.Box users out there? Kingsway 14 1,715 07-26-2023, 02:59 PM
Last Post: dbcpap
  WARNING to CPAP Users: PREPARE for the Unexpected - When the power goes out SuperSleeper 231 120,246 07-21-2023, 05:07 AM
Last Post: baffled
Smile An AWARD for FFM users with 0% leaks sleepyzzz 9 924 07-21-2023, 01:33 AM
Last Post: snorin2
  BMC CPAP Machine - Any users? aktmdn 7 886 07-18-2023, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.