Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Wireless SD Card to transmit data to Desktop Computer?
Wireless SD Card to transmit data to Desktop Computer?
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has used a wi-fi enabled sd card in their cpap machine so that they can download the data onto their computer into a program like Sleepyhead. It would be nice to not have to card swap everyday. I'm open to other solutions that anyone may have figured out to do this type of thing as well.

Thanks in advance.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Wireless SD Card to transmit data to Desktop Computer?
Interesting concept. Not sure how it would work if there is software on the card that does it. Resmed won't allow it as the machine hates anything that isn't its own. Respironics might.

Now you got my curiosity up.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, these types of cards are usually marketed towards digital camera users. You can pull the pictures off of the card (while it's in your camera) wirelessly from your computer. I'm thinking that you should be able to pull sleep data off of a card onto the computer. Just wondering if anyone has tried this successfully (or failed) already before I go and spend money on one of these cards.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2014, 09:43 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Interesting concept. Not sure how it would work if there is software on the card that does it. Resmed won't allow it as the machine hates anything that isn't its own. Respironics might.

So my drawers full of SD cards will not work in a ResMed S9?
Anyone know a work around? What is the capacity of the ResMed SD card?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2014, 11:26 PM)justMongo Wrote: So my drawers full of SD cards will not work in a ResMed S9?
Anyone know a work around? What is the capacity of the ResMed SD card?

I think ordinary SD cards will work OK, but they need to be formatted in the machine. So anything you have on them will be erased. My Resmed card which came with the machine is 2GB.

I think part of the problem with the wifi cards is that they necessarily have a bunch of software to drive the wireless interface. If your S9 sees all that on there it will either not work properly or else offer to format the card... which will instantly render it non-wifi.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2014, 11:26 PM)justMongo Wrote: So my drawers full of SD cards will not work in a ResMed S9? Anyone know a work around? What is the capacity of the ResMed SD card?

The S9 Autoset comes with a 2 GB card. I have personally used a 4 GB SD card with no ill effects, and I think someone here once tested various cards to see how big a card you could use. As for formatting, the S9 will reformat a foreign card to its liking, which will erase everything on it, so if you use a different card be sure there is nothing on it that you want to save. According to Palimpsest on my computer the file system is FAT32. FAT32 is an ancient Microsoft file system that cannot handle secvurity or much of anything else, but it is a lingua franca - there is hardly a computer on the planet that cannot read and write to it.

I should also add that 2 GB is ridiculous overkill. The data placed on the card is a few hundred bytes per day. A 2 GB card will hold probably a hundred years worth of data, if not more. I suspect the reason Resmed ships the S9 with a 2 GB card is because you can't even buy smaller cards any more.

As for the software not being able to see the wireless connection (mentioned earlier here) I don't see where that would be a problem. Once you have the connection your computer can access the network share, so you can just download the data to a folder on your computer. Having done so, just point your software (SleepyHead, etc.) to the folder.
Post Reply Post Reply
My card shows 1.84 GB in Disk Manager, 1880 MB in DiskPart. So likely it is a nominally 2GB card. (Which by manufacturer's standards would be about 1975684956 Mb.)

There is about 33 MB in use for my 38 days, with about 2.75 MB written today.

About 2% in use.

This is a little misleading though. It's not almost 1MB per day which is near the average so there is a big file that takes up about 2mb of the data written yesterday, and nothing (in DataLog) is older than 2/19 (or about 20 days ago).

Files with this pattern: 2014mmdd_013653_BRP.edf e.g., 20140310_013653_BRP.edf

...seem to be the large ones.

These files go back 8 days (to 03/02) and seem to be related to each sleep session (1 per) and sized based on length of sessions.

This is likely the data that is overwritten "every 7 days" but it looks like 8 days which makes a LOT more sense (if you capture it about once per week you would not want it to lose a day here and there.) So likely they market 7 days, but keep 8 for safety margin.

While a lot of data gets updated daily, it's probably true that the usage only grows by a few hundred or a few kilobytes per day.

The card looks ordinary and was made in Taiwan. There are some difficult to read numbers in non-contrasting print but I didn't bother to record or research them.

Obviously the source code of SleepyHead would explain the meaning of much of this days.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
I have gone down this exact train of thought. There are several wifi enabled SD cards out there. The ones I looked into were Eyefi (which was limited to media only), Transcend (I spoke with their support, and they couldn't say if it would work, but that they had discontinued these products in the US market), and finally Toshiba.

I ended up purchasing a Toshiba card. The things that attracted me to this - it used a web interface, it allowed me to join my existing wifi network instead of creating an adhoc network (default) by using modifying a config file designed for developers, and it has a time out flag, that allows you (in theory) to leave the card enabled indefinitely. It's my understanding that most if not all the wifi enabled SD cards only run for wifi for so long, as they were designed for digital cameras.

That being said, I have used the Toshiba card in my ResMed S9 VPAP Auto and I am able to browse the files (via web interface) from my computer. The problem is, the web interface is very basic. This results in having to download each file one by one. In the end, unless I can find a way to script the download, or browse the folder structure via explorer to copy multiple files at once, it's no more convenient than just pulling the card out and sneaker netting it to the computer.

For more information on the Toshiba config dev info - https://flashair-developers.com/en/docum...pi/config/.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2014, 09:43 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Interesting concept. Not sure how it would work if there is software on the card that does it. Resmed won't allow it as the machine hates anything that isn't its own. Respironics might.

My s9 didn't have an issue with it.

I first copied the working directories/files off of the wifi sd card. Then I stuck the card into the Resmed S9, and allowed it to format the card (seemed to take forever). Then I copied the working directories/files back to the wifi sd card.

Now the wifi/web interface work, as well as the S9 happily records data without issue (so far at least)
Post Reply Post Reply
Dgrs,

What brand/model of WiFi SD Card?

How do you charge the battery?

How long does the battery last?

Do you turn off the wifi when not actively in use to conserve the battery?

Any other gotchas or issues?
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR not recognising SD card data from BMC alid 4 33 4 hours ago
Last Post: alid
Question OK TO IMPORT SLEEP DATA FROM OLD SD CARD INTO OSCAR W/O MESSING UP CURRENT DATA? Plmnb 1 81 Yesterday, 01:07 AM
Last Post: Ibrumley
  Need Computer drivers for Contec CMS50D+ Oximeter TomElgin 3 237 03-02-2024, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Viatom/WellUE data is different than OSCAR displayed data GordK 3 292 02-23-2024, 04:48 PM
Last Post: GordK
  Data structure / data definition of AirSense 11 CD, CMSd50+ or OSCAR?hing obvious, … Perickson 4 1,633 02-18-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Perickson
  AirSense 11 Data download csv file vs. card tkblizard 3 495 12-29-2023, 04:33 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Archive SD card data txrpls 3 803 12-18-2023, 07:11 PM
Last Post: txrpls

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.