Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Wireless SD Card to transmit data to Desktop Computer?
RE: Wireless SD Card to transmit data to Desktop Computer?
(03-10-2014, 04:47 PM)herbm Wrote: Dgrs,

What brand/model of WiFi SD Card?

How do you charge the battery?

How long does the battery last?

Do you turn off the wifi when not actively in use to conserve the battery?

Any other gotchas or issues?

Hey Herb,

I purchased a Toshiba FlashAir. I have the 8gb slightly older version. I think I paid about $30 for it.

The card receives power from the device. This is the reason most of the wifi cards automatically turn off, to prevent draining digital camera batteries.

The main gotcha right now is the web interface is too slow to download the files practically. It's faster to pull the card and walk to the next room. I haven't had time to attempt browsing to it using samba (since I assume it runs on linux of some sort).

Everything works at this point, I just a more practical method of transferring the files across.

edit: I just confirmed that ftp and samba are a no go. To automate the download someone will have to make a program to transfer via http using the flashair api. I haven't spent much time on the dev forums. I'm hoping someone has already tackled this issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2014, 06:05 PM)Dgsr Wrote: I purchased a Toshiba FlashAir. I have the 8gb slightly older version. I think I paid about $30 for it. ...
The main gotcha right now is the web interface is too slow to download the files practically. It's faster to pull the card and walk to the next room. I haven't had time to attempt browsing to it using samba (since I assume it runs on linux of some sort).
Everything works at this point, I just a more practical method of transferring the files across.
edit: I just confirmed that ftp and samba are a no go. To automate the download someone will have to make a program to transfer via http using the flashair api. I haven't spent much time on the dev forums. I'm hoping someone has already tackled this issue.

I use SleepyHead exclusively on an Xubuntu laptop, connected via a Linksys WRT54G router. However, I am a dummy when it comes to networking. I assume the router would see the Flashair and give it an IP address, whereupon it should be visible to the computer. Once the computer connects to the share, couldn't I just point SleepyHead to the share? What have I missed here?
Post Reply Post Reply
It's HTTP, not a drive-impersonating share.

But if it is HTTP, I doubt there is much extra protocol.

Can we just grab the files with a script using WGET (runs on Windows as well as Unix variants.)

Also, if that is the case or even it it needs REST or something we should be able to do it pretty easiler with PowerShell.

But I didn't like the part about being easier to just pull the card.

It really wouldn't matter that much to me if it took 5 minutes I suppose.

Mostly this is so that I wouldn't have to remember to put it back each time I sleep.

The cost is fine, and I like the part about drawing power from the machine.

A big turn off for me was the idea that the card would need to be pulled and put into some sort of charger almost as often as it would need to be put in the computer. (And perhaps wouldn't be available for every sleep session....)

So can you just point an ordinary browser at this thing and see the files?

As to IP, it is almost certainly a DHCP client, so most routers etc. would be willing to offer it an IP when it requests, just like happens with many other devices.

EDIT: Reading the description on Amazon for FlashAir (emphasis added):

Quote:...Easy to set up the connection from PC and smartphone; Does not require any special driver or software installation on your devices; Built-in wireless LAN access point does not require device connected to Internet

If there is no software required then I can't see how it can be anything other than an CIFS/SMB share (with Drive Letter on Windows or mount point on Unix) or an HTTP folder.

In both those cases, I can easily automate it.

REST or something similar is a little harder (for me) but not THAT hard.

Hopefully it has a way to take a WiFi Key for security.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Perhaps Dgrs, you could try wget and see what you can find....

Windows version here: http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/

...or included here....

http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

Post Reply Post Reply
I have a related question - Sleepyhead will import data from any folder, but ResScan seems to need a physical SD card to read from. Is there a way to change configuration or options in ResScan so that it will read from a folder? If not, even if you can get the files from the wifi card to the computer, it seems you would then have to copy the files onto a SD card in the computer in order to import into ResScan, if you wanted to use ResScan instead of or as well as SleepyHead.
Post Reply Post Reply
Uh oh.

No, I didn't find a way to get Rescan to use the hard drive; I even tried the "subst" command to make a directory look like a hard drive: subst N: C:\Resmed

FSutil will show it as a hard drive but Rescan wants an SD Card or USB even when you try to explicitly choose the "Device" (idiot programmers made it DEVICE specific instead of PATH specific.)

Probably will work the following way (when I get my new WiFi card I will test):

1) Put the OLD card from the machine in the PC slot (and just leave it there as much as practical).
2) wget (with freshen) the files from the machine WiFi card to the card in the PC.
3) Load data from the old card in the PC as normal but without having to move the cards around.

4) Optional: Clean up old files as they "disappear" from the card in the machine to keep the size from growing to much for the 2 GB old card.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

Post Reply Post Reply
HerbM - that sounds like a sweet solution. Looking forward to hearing your results as if your test works out, I will likely follow suit.

I had been thinking that it would be nice to do that, but I kept reading that the S9 doesn't like any other files on it, so never tried, but sounds like that is only true for that windows 8 hidden directory and not for the required WiFi files.

I'm fairly tech savvy (work for a software company and do some database and report programming) so I like to try these types of things out too and like solutions that are elegant and simplify things.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Herb,

If I had to guess, it's a tiny linux install running apache. Of course that's pure guesstimation, and I don't have much to back it up.

As far as IP is concerned, you are exactly correct. It pulls DHCP from my router. I didn't find an IP command to specify a static ip in the list of config file options. However, you can specify SSID as well as network key. My flashair is currently using WPA2.

I don't mind trying wget. I downloaded it earlier, and tried to run a real basic command against it. It was able to pull the index.html file from the card.

I don't have much more time to play with wget until this weekend. Pretty busy at work at the moment, and spare time is going into studying for some certification tests.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, we are probably good.

wget can be told to use another file to pull more files, which works like this: pull the index.html file to get the links to the actual data files, then pull all of them with clobber (overright) based on date (being later.)

Might need to clean up the index file and any System Volume Information if one exists can be deleted at the same time. (Might as well script that too.)

I can have the script check for that RESMED volume label and/or those known files on the root of the volume to make sure we are on the right volume.

Anyone running Unix-like OS (including Mac) can write something along the same lines (I'll help if necessary.)

:: As to Linux with Apache, that would well be it, and it is very like Linux but it might be one of the smaller web servers since it doesn't have to do very much at all. But it doesn't take much disk at all to run a minimal linux with no GUI.

The best thing about this is that I won't have to keep shuttling the SD Card and there will be no way to FORGET to put it back in the machine.

FYI: Here is a 5 line script to delete the System Volume Information based on finding the Identification.CRC file.
Warning this will probably LINE WRAP (make your browser wide), so the lines end with:

1) @call Big GrinELETE %%a:
2) @goto :EOF
3) Big GrinELETE
4) @echo %1\
5) Volume" /s

Code:
@for %%a in (a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z) do @if exist %%a:\Identification.crc @call :DELETE %%a:
@goto :EOF
:DELETE
@echo %1\
@if exist "%1\System Volume Information" @rd "%1\System Volume Information" /s

I did NOT include the /q switch on the last line in the interests of safety; run it a few times and respond to the prompt until you trust it and then at your own risk add the /q to the last line after /s.

I call this ResMed.cmd; it's on my path (in my personal "Bat" directory). The file number be saved as a plain text file (notepad) with either a .BAT or .CMD extension. (Not .txt and not from a word processor like Word.)

BTW, I wrote it just for you guys as I have still never seen the problem.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

Post Reply Post Reply
I have a related question - Sleepyhead will import data from any folder, but ResScan seems to need a physical SD card to read from. Is there a way to change configuration or options in ResScan so that it will read from a folder? If not, even if you can get the files from the wifi card to the computer, it seems you would then have to copy the files onto a SD card in the computer in order to import into ResScan, if you wanted to use ResScan instead of or as well as SleepyHead.
[/quote]

Since FlashAir works as a stand alone Wireless LAN access point, FlashAir embedded devices are able to both send files to and receive files from each other. Buy 2 FlashAir cards. Leave one in the S9 AND have one in your desktop computers sd reader slot.

Think about it. [attachment=770]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question OK TO IMPORT SLEEP DATA FROM OLD SD CARD INTO OSCAR W/O MESSING UP CURRENT DATA? Plmnb 1 78 Today, 01:07 AM
Last Post: Ibrumley
  Need Computer drivers for Contec CMS50D+ Oximeter TomElgin 3 237 03-02-2024, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Viatom/WellUE data is different than OSCAR displayed data GordK 3 292 02-23-2024, 04:48 PM
Last Post: GordK
  Data structure / data definition of AirSense 11 CD, CMSd50+ or OSCAR?hing obvious, … Perickson 4 1,630 02-18-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Perickson
  AirSense 11 Data download csv file vs. card tkblizard 3 494 12-29-2023, 04:33 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Archive SD card data txrpls 3 803 12-18-2023, 07:11 PM
Last Post: txrpls
Exclaimation Import CSV from computer KK7X 2 546 10-29-2023, 05:27 PM
Last Post: KK7X

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.