Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Wireless modem
Wireless modem
What information is sent and to where From my machine which has a wireless modem?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Wireless modem
Good question!

More than likely, it is just compliance data, meaning time used, because that's all they care about: that you are using the machine.

Did you ask whoever is receiving the data?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
It connects over the cell phone network to a server somewhere on the internet. Your DME and/or doctor will have access to that server to look at the data.

It will probably have your AHI and compliance data. I doubt it has waveform data.

Your DME and/or doctor will probably be able to change your pressure and other settings with the modem.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Turf101, WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-20-2012, 02:57 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Good question!

More than likely, it is just compliance data, meaning time used, because that's all they care about: that you are using the machine.

Did you ask whoever is receiving the data?
PaulaO2 is absolutely correct. My son has a wireless modem on his S9. His doctor uses it to adjust his
pressures and his doctor and RT use it to check his compliance info. to me it looked like a big brother hood ornament.Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-20-2012, 03:51 PM)archangle Wrote: It connects over the cell phone network to a server somewhere on the internet. Your DME and/or doctor will have access to that server to look at the data.
It will probably have your AHI and compliance data. I doubt it has waveform data.
Your DME and/or doctor will probably be able to change your pressure and other settings with the modem.

I find this interesting. If the machine is in the US there are a dozen or more cell phone carriers that it could connect to, but none of them cover the entire country. There are roaming agreements, but even if it uses an account with the two big ones (Verizon or AT&T) there will be holes in the coverage.

And is the data that it sends and receives encrypted? Who is authorized to view the data on the server? I hope doctors have to register their patients with the server in order to be able to see the data just for their own patients. It sounds like a HIPAA nightmare.

Most importantly, cell phone carriers are not known for giving away services. Who is paying the cell carrier bill?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-20-2012, 08:40 PM)hunningsedaniel Wrote: PaulaO2 is absolutely correct. My son has a wireless modem on his S9. His doctor uses it to adjust his pressures and his doctor and RT use it to check his compliance info. to me it looked like a big brother hood ornament.

I have an S9 on order that should be here in a few days. I sure don't want my data broadcast to anyone. Can this radio be turned off?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-20-2012, 09:20 PM)JJJ Wrote:
(12-20-2012, 08:40 PM)hunningsedaniel Wrote: PaulaO2 is absolutely correct. My son has a wireless modem on his S9. His doctor uses it to adjust his pressures and his doctor and RT use it to check his compliance info. to me it looked like a big brother hood ornament.

I have an S9 on order that should be here in a few days. I sure don't want my data broadcast to anyone. Can this radio be turned off?

The modem isn't standard for the S9. The one mentioned earlier must be an add-on.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it is an addon. I suppose it would be useful for patients who live far away from the supplier.

Frankly, I would never agree to this. For one, I live in a rural area and I'd be ticked if my CPAP got better cellular reception than I did! For two, if they want to know the compliance data, they can come get it. Or I'll send it to them or mail it. It's just more of the bull crap of we are too stoopid to take care of ourselves and can't be trusted in the least. Send me a card, I'll send you one back and use the one you sent me. Or let me email you the files. Or something.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Someone wrote a while back, CPAP's have a microphone hidden inside them and whatever you say in your sleep gets transmitted back to Homeland Security if you have the wireless modem attached!

It could happen! Too-funnyDielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,581 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] Replacement Cellular Modem DMAllen 18 5,794 02-25-2024, 05:36 AM
Last Post: Neo2020
  Does my ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto have a modem? Morseman 4 261 02-05-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 modem/provider mystery richapple 4 566 12-22-2023, 09:33 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  de-activate modem dreamstation2 advanced The Rog 0 355 10-18-2023, 12:45 AM
Last Post: The Rog
  Oscar wireless to my pc? Or iPhone app? Dolla Bill 3 660 08-26-2023, 07:04 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Airsense 10 with modem safe from suppliers? HappySailor 3 766 07-02-2023, 12:54 AM
Last Post: HappySailor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.