Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Wireless modem
RE: Wireless modem
(12-20-2012, 10:28 PM)TheWerkz Wrote: Someone wrote a while back, CPAP's have a microphone hidden inside them and whatever you say in your sleep gets transmitted back to Homeland Security if you have the wireless modem attached!

It could happen! Too-funnyDielaughing

WellThinking-about

I guess I'll have to start wrapping the tin foil around my CPAP too, instead of just around my head.
Rolleyes

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-20-2012, 09:18 PM)JJJ Wrote: And is the data that it sends and receives encrypted? Who is authorized to view the data on the server? I hope doctors have to register their patients with the server in order to be able to see the data just for their own patients. It sounds like a HIPAA nightmare.

Most importantly, cell phone carriers are not known for giving away services. Who is paying the cell carrier bill?

If it's like most "security" corporate America does to protect the public, the security is a joke. However, the machine doesn't know your name, home address, etc., so there's not much useful information to be gleaned by hacking the transmissions. Just the data for CPAP machine #13247222 and its user. Not a lot of profit to be had.

Someone might change your pressure settings just for meanness.

Once the data gets to the web site, the data on the web site might have your name and other data attached along with info on when you're sleeping, your AHI, etc.

The company running the service charges the DME or doctor $x per month for access to the data. They'd have a special data agreement with certain cell companies.

If you're buying the S9 machine out of pocket, it probably won't have a modem. If it does, you can just take it off. If it's from a DME with insurance attached, you may have to use it for a while until you prove compliance.

I suppose if you had a modem and didn't want it to be used, you could just wrap aluminum foil around the modem and just tell the DME/insurance company you have bad cell phone coverage where you live. All that would accomplish would be you'd have to mail in the card or take the machine to the DME to download the data or adjust pressure.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know my new S9 ResMed AutoSet has an AT&T modem that the DME brought. After what the first DME put me through I didn't complain knowing I would be well over the compliant guidelines. Also AT&T has no coverage where I live. We are surrounded by Verizon towers. DME probably getting paid anyway for signal that can't be received! The Modem plugs into the same location where the Pulse Oximeter would plug into. Also if someone was concerned about it and what kind of data was being transmitted you could probably offer your insurance company to pay off your monthly co-pay in one sum and then return or unplug the Modem. That would satisfy your compliance early and prevent the DME's from profiting from something you object to. My insurance didn't require a Modem with my first CPAP machine which I had for approx. 22 months, I find it strange that they would order one now. I think it was a DME decision. I didn't order a Climateline either but they brought it and hooked it up. Glad they did that as it didn't change my co-pay and I find it beneficial for my therapy. One way to tell if your Modem is working according to the information I received is that where it is blue at the base of the antenna, if it's blinking no signal, solid means signal. Mines blinking so I believe that is accurate information knowing I'm not near AT&T towers! Hope this helps!!!
Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-20-2012, 01:46 PM)Turf101 Wrote: What information is sent and to where From my machine which has a wireless modem?

As archangle said
It will probably have your AHI and compliance data. I doubt it has waveform data.

Your DME and/or doctor will probably be able to change your pressure and other settings with the modem.

I don't know how it connects, I had wondered that my self.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-20-2012, 09:20 PM)JJJ Wrote:
(12-20-2012, 08:40 PM)hunningsedaniel Wrote: PaulaO2 is absolutely correct. My son has a wireless modem on his S9. His doctor uses it to adjust his pressures and his doctor and RT use it to check his compliance info. to me it looked like a big brother hood ornament.

I have an S9 on order that should be here in a few days. I sure don't want my data broadcast to anyone. Can this radio be turned off?

The modem isn't standard for the S9. The one mentioned earlier is an add-on & you can disconnect it. & yes it does allow your DME to collect basic compliance data & can be used to make changes to your prescription.

I did disconnect mine for the last 2 days & they just said "Oh I didn't get the last 2 days of data but oh well"

If you disconnected from the beginning of your DME monitoring period before purchasing your own they may make stink about it but they could still get all the data from the SD card.
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe the microphone records all that is said during sleep and is retrieved by HSA during the security check at the airports. Thanks for all the replies. The interesting thing is that during a flight to San Diego, I cargo holed my CPAP machine and it didn't work properly when I returned. After months of trying to get a new cpap, It was determined that I owned the original machine. Finally after much complaining my current machine was sold to me. I paid half and the insurance paid half. And don't you know. it had a wireless modem that transmits information to a third party accessed by the doctors. I have been on CPAP for 5 may 6 years and never have been asked to bring in a card or phone in. Thanks to this site, I viewed my settings, many which were disabled, put machine in auto mode for a while, and see what happens. Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had major issues when they told me about the wireless modem. The privacy issues and their storage of the data were concerns. When I asked the questions, the tech did not know the proper answers and gave me the usual lame answers. However, she did say that the data was HIPAA protected. She also said it was only for 3 months for compliance. I could have fought it harder and refused the modem which did mean they would have to acquire the compliance usage data manually. My modem appears to connect to AT&T as it says that upon powering up every night. (Yes, I turn off the transformer brick every day for the 16 hours it is not in use). I did get a bit freaked out when after about 10 days someone from the DME called with the message, "You're doing a good job using your new CPAP and if you have any problems, call me".
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah, grasshoppers... you have been awakened. It is you who have the power, not them. Now, be sure and stay on the narrow path of Patient Empowerment. It is your only hope for future health. Embrace it and strive for mastery. oldman

“Until they become conscious, they will never rebel”
― George Orwell, 1984

Bigwink
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-20-2012, 09:33 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I suppose it would be useful for patients who live far away from the supplier.

I can see how it would be useful for older or impaired patients who can't travel to their doctor's office and are not capable of monitoring themselves.

I wouldn't want anything connected to my machine that allows someone else to set the pressure.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just another ploy to siphon money from fools with deep pockets.
I say: No!
If they want the data, it can be emailed in a file attachment or copied to an SD card.
The wifi bit leaves way too many doors open for malice. History shows that when such doors are created they always get used.

Pfft!

Angry
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,634 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] Replacement Cellular Modem DMAllen 18 5,799 02-25-2024, 05:36 AM
Last Post: Neo2020
  Does my ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto have a modem? Morseman 4 265 02-05-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 modem/provider mystery richapple 4 567 12-22-2023, 09:33 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  de-activate modem dreamstation2 advanced The Rog 0 356 10-18-2023, 12:45 AM
Last Post: The Rog
  Oscar wireless to my pc? Or iPhone app? Dolla Bill 3 662 08-26-2023, 07:04 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Airsense 10 with modem safe from suppliers? HappySailor 3 767 07-02-2023, 12:54 AM
Last Post: HappySailor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.