Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Wish me luck (new FFM)
Wish me luck (new FFM)
After trying the various suggestions given by Sleeprider, Bonjour, and others regarding my rising AHI numbers..
The problem that has become unsolvable is that now I tend lo relax in my sleep to the point where air manages to escape between my lips, this then has been showing up as large leaks and presumably apnoea events to the Dreamstation.
Adjustments to pressure, chin strap and so on didn't alleviate the problem, so the full face mask was the next step.

Today I have purchased a ResMed Airfit F20 full face mask to replace my previous F&P Eson nose mask ($250 Au.. we do get ripped off in this country Dont-know  ).

I decided to go for the Airfit because it is a silicone mask rather than the memory foam version of the F20.
With careful cleaning and handling I have managed to maintain the silicon Eson mask in good condition for four times longer than recommended by the manufacturer, and even now it is only the head straps that are giving out due to stretching from age.

And I chose the Resmed over the Respironics Dreamwear after reading reviews regarding the noise of the air passing through the tubes down the side of the head, and the perceived changes in pressure to the mask by side sleepers when the weight of the head compresses one tube and air flow is forced through just the one tube.

I will leave the pressure settings as they were for the nose mask for a few days to a week before looking at possible adjustments.
Having lain with the mask on and running for about ten minutes, and swapping back and forth from side to side to see if the mask would stay in place while moving around, I feel I may actually be able to drop the pressure a little at some point in the future.
I also tried scrunching my face up with different contortions to see if I could get the mask to leak, and it stayed secure.. 
About the only thing I think may occur is that I will end up with a marks around my face from the mask.

So my fingers are crossed that my AHI drops and my sleep improves again.
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Wish me luck (new FFM)
I started my SA Therapy with an AirFit F20. It was also the mask that I used in my 2nd night of my in-lab sleep study. I liked it. 

I still use it on and off. But, I'm now primarily using the AirFit F30, and it's proving to be very good for me. I find it to be much more comfortable and less intrusive. 

And, it's a lot easier to scratch my nose if it itches.  Bigwink

Anyways, hope you find success with the F20.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2020, 10:49 AM)Big Guy Wrote: I started my SA Therapy with an AirFit F20. It was also the mask that I used in my 2nd night of my in-lab sleep study. I liked it. 

I still use it on and off. But, I'm now primarily using the AirFit F30, and it's proving to be very good for me. I find it to be much more comfortable and less intrusive. 

And, it's a lot easier to scratch my nose if it itches.  Bigwink

Anyways, hope you find success with the F20.

I contemplated the F30, but I don't tolerate things blowing directly up my nostrils.. the skin lining the inside of my nose is thin and sensitive, I suffer allergies all year round, and in the past used to suffer badly from "instant" nose bleeds for no apparent reason (thankfully they are rare now that I'm old).
I'm far more comfortable with a mask that covers my nose so that I'm inhaling air in a "normal" manner.

When I first started on CPAP I used nose pillows, that lasted all of two nights- and on both nights the mask was ditched withing an hour of starting using it.
From there I went to the F&P Eson nose mask, and have been happy with it for the last four years since starting CPAP (same mask and head gear for the whole time.. and it is still in good usable condition, due to having taken care of it, though the head gear is starting to deteriorate due to stretching over time the mask still seals well)

As it turns out, my large leak problem was due to my jaw relaxing and air escaping my lips at times.. not always, but often enough now to have started impacting my compliance requirements to keep my professional driver's endorsements and ultimately my career as a business operator in the hire car / passenger transport industry.

I have learnt to ignore an itchy nose.  Grin
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I tolerated the new mask well overnight..

However I'm not sure that it is ultimately going to give me the improvement I need going by the initial numbers. Dont-know
I was hoping for below 1, or below 2 at the very least.

Hopefully it will improve, maybe with some fine tuning of pressures and settings more suited to a FFM.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Not bad number wise. Best to continued success, despite not getting down as far as you'd hoped for.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good luck Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2020, 09:38 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Not bad number wise. Best to continued success, despite not getting down as far as you'd hoped for.

Thank you.
Like an aging wine, I'm a work in progress I guess.  Laugh-a-lot

(06-02-2020, 10:21 PM)thed00d Wrote: Good luck Smile

Thanks.  Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wish Me Luck! jprestonian 3 527 07-16-2021, 04:58 PM
Last Post: factor
  If it wasn't for bad luck......... Big Guy 7 1,279 07-07-2019, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
Wink Good luck, sort of JamesW 4 1,580 07-08-2017, 06:45 PM
Last Post: JamesW
  Been on therapy for 8days no luck! badge 7 3,645 04-14-2015, 10:03 AM
Last Post: justMongo
Question s9 beeping .. no errors on display.. no luck searching for an answer mwbritt 7 3,580 10-24-2013, 04:12 PM
Last Post: zonk
  Wish me luck drifterdon 8 3,377 10-23-2013, 06:46 PM
Last Post: me50
  No luck with auto settings-what went wrong? old dude 3 2,710 08-20-2013, 06:10 PM
Last Post: old dude

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.