Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Wisp Mask: Plastic Or Fabric?
Wisp Mask: Plastic Or Fabric?
I am buying a new Wisp mask. The fabric frame of my old one started falling apart I would say prematurely. They offer the face straps part in both fabric and plastic.

Does anyone have experience with the plastic face frame and how durable it is?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Wisp Mask: Plastic Or Fabric?
I have a Wisp mask with a fabric headband and a plastic (silicon-like) mask frame.

As to durability, I suspect it would last a very (very) long time. Seems indestructible. The weakest link is the slot where the lower buttons on the headgear snap in. They under-engineered the slot. However, it looks like it would take abuse to break this slot.

The downside is plastic frame can (will) leave face marks for side sleepers. The upside is the frame generally bows away from the face when one is not lying directly on it.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
I was thinking about lining the inside with the soft side of Velcro to put a material between the plastic and my face.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2017, 11:47 PM)player Wrote: I was thinking about lining the inside with the soft side of Velcro to put a material between the plastic and my face.

That might undermine some of the upside of the plastic frame generally bowing around the face by adding thickness that would likely fill the gap.

I don't think it would make for an improvement.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
The problem with the fabric frame is it falls apart. That's why I am switching to plastic. Padacheek makes a covering for the Wisp face frame as well...
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm confident you'll be satisfied with the durability of the plastic frame.

I'd be curious to know if you like the Padacheek cover (if you get it).

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
One advantage of the plastic frame is that you can see any cracks that develop before the frame breaks. My DME spotted a crack starting where the frame changed thickness - needless to say I left with a new frame!
Post Reply Post Reply
I picked up the padacheek cover today locally, waiting for the mask to come in from online seller. While at the local DME getting the cover I saw the Resmed Airfit N20. It looks great. I may have to pick one up. But when I asked how much the girl said $350(CAD)!!! What? They are $118CAD from an online supplier.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2017, 01:47 PM)pholynyk Wrote: One advantage of the plastic frame is that you can see any cracks that develop before the frame breaks. My DME spotted a crack starting where the frame changed thickness - needless to say I left with a new frame!

I pay for my stuff so I like to fix it. If plastic cracks, drilling a very very small hole right at the end of the crack can stop the crack from getting worse.

I am going to try a small plastic welder that is selling at a national hardware store for about $20 that is supposed to repair plastics.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2017, 05:06 AM)player Wrote: I picked up the padacheek cover today locally, waiting for the mask to come in from online seller. While at the local DME getting the cover I saw the Resmed Airfit N20. It looks great. I may have to pick one up. But when I asked how much the girl said $350(CAD)!!! What? They are $118CAD from an online supplier.

I'm actually quite keen to try the ResMed N20 myself. While getting good results from the Wisp, I dislike the intensity of the exhaust and (more critically) I'm struggling with it causing a pressure point sore on the bridge of my nose.

The N20 is so new that my insurance does not have it in their dispensary list of approved devices so I'm dealing with a grievance procedure. *Sigh*

It is hard for me to imagine the plastic frame on the Wisp cracking. The material seems extremely durable with a silicone-like mixture of strength and flexibility. Perhaps I misjudge?

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 355 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33
  Wisp stats mousetrap 6 3,554 09-08-2023, 10:27 PM
Last Post: Lucky7
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,209 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  WISP Nasal Mask users Gus Wah 5 838 07-23-2022, 10:53 AM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,754 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  AirSense10 plastic smell dankboy422 10 2,024 09-22-2021, 03:26 PM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.