Wisp Nasal Mask and Facial Rash (dermatitis)
kdmorris410 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Dream Wear
Humidifier: Built In
CPAP Pressure: 10-16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Started therapy 2/20/15

Sex: Female
Wisp Nasal Mask and Facial Rash (dermatitis)
I got my cpap and a Wisp Nasal Mask in February and the results have been pretty good! I got a new set of mask parts in May and am expecting more of them on 8/20. However, over the last few months, it seems like the nasal mask is irritating the crap out of my face. I have red, dry, irritated lines around my nose where the mask lies.

I'm wondering if I should ask them to try the nasal pillows before they send the next batch out

Is there anything else that I can do to keep the Wisp and still not have it look like I've been stamped with a triangle around my nose? Has anyone had this and then gone to the nasal pillows and had it go away?
08-10-2015 08:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Kakkles Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed A10 For Her
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AIrfit P10
Humidifier: A10 Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10-14

Other Comments:

RE: Wisp Nasal Mask and Facial Rash (dermatitis)
I have the Wisp Nasal Mask as well and I have found to get a bit of a red scuff mark on my upper lip where the mask sits...otherwise no issues...I cant go to Nasal Pillows due to sore in my nose that is ongoing...And I really love the Wisp Nasal Mask! It works well for me. I thought maybe I was over reacting to the red mark..but looks like Im not....

Hope you find more answers...good luck!

(08-10-2015 08:56 PM)kdmorris410 Wrote:  I got my cpap and a Wisp Nasal Mask in February and the results have been pretty good! I got a new set of mask parts in May and am expecting more of them on 8/20. However, over the last few months, it seems like the nasal mask is irritating the crap out of my face. I have red, dry, irritated lines around my nose where the mask lies.

I'm wondering if I should ask them to try the nasal pillows before they send the next batch out

Is there anything else that I can do to keep the Wisp and still not have it look like I've been stamped with a triangle around my nose? Has anyone had this and then gone to the nasal pillows and had it go away?
08-10-2015 09:09 PM
Terry Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips Respironics RemStar Auto with A-Flex (560P)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P/R Nuance & Pap Cap
Humidifier: Integrated
CPAP Pressure: Auto

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
(08-10-2015 08:56 PM)kdmorris410 Wrote:  Is there anything else that I can do to keep the Wisp and still not have it look like I've been stamped with a triangle around my nose? Has anyone had this and then gone to the nasal pillows and had it go away?

I don't get any marks from nasal pillows. You could certainly try them and see if you like them. I'm very happy with the Resmed P10 or the Respironics Nuance. They're very similar.

Also, if you're getting bad marks, your mask is too tight. If you need it that tight to stop the leaks, it isn't actually fitting you properly.

If you end up not liking the nasal pillow mask, the some people like the SleepWeaver. It's all cloth and doesn't have a traditional seal.
08-10-2015 09:11 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Hi kdmorris410,
I'm not sure but I think RemZZZs makes a liner for the wisp, sometimes liners help keep the cushion from rubbing. Another company that makes liners is Padacheek, (not sure I spelled that right).
Good luck to you with finding a solution to your mask problem.

trish6hundred
08-10-2015 09:35 PM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

could it be what you use to wash your mask? If you aren't, be sure and wash your face before masking up.

Maybe it is because it is too tight or maybe it is because the weather is hotter right now. Could be a lot of things but my guess is that it is hotter right now.

I have used the wisp nasal mask for almost 2 years and never had a problem with it and I am not very good about washing my face with soap or a cleaner before masking up.

Have you changed any products that you use? Could be that your skin doesn't like something you are using.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2015 11:11 PM by me50.)
08-10-2015 11:10 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
kdmorris410 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Dream Wear
Humidifier: Built In
CPAP Pressure: 10-16

Other Comments: Started therapy 2/20/15

It's possible that it's because it's summer. What I'm using to clean the mask and my face hasn't changed and I didn't get the rash before April or so. I wash my face before going to bed and wash the mask each morning with mild soap. I can pull the mask away from my face enough to inflate the "pillows" part of the mask, so I wouldn't think it's too tight.

I might try the nasal pillows just to see if I hate them. There was a time when I was somewhat horrified by the idea of wearing a cpap mask at all, but turns out, it doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would.
08-11-2015 07:06 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Moisture in My Wisp nasal mask Genetini 3 86 12-05-2016 10:39 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  Sleep Study: Nasal vs. Full Mask harmon k 2 316 11-20-2016 06:38 PM
Last Post: harmon k
Question AHI Higher AFter Switch from Nasal Pillows to Full Mask Sleepypokey 8 506 10-26-2016 03:07 PM
Last Post: Kadenz
  Looking for Recommendations on Lightweight *Nasal* Mask (no pillows) Dreams of Green 16 747 10-24-2016 05:20 PM
Last Post: TheDuke
  Respironics Wisp Mask Questions Dreams of Green 6 387 10-23-2016 06:17 PM
Last Post: Ezil71
Surprised WISP mask problem elbie 11 705 10-22-2016 10:49 AM
Last Post: elbie
  Any tips for fitting a ResMed P10 nasal pillow mask? Spy Car 40 2,179 10-15-2016 06:11 AM
Last Post: rwelliot