Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Wisp
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 9
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Wisp just isn't working for me. Switched back to the nasal pillows
I found myself waking up a bunch during the night with small leaks right at my cheek bones. I would also wake up every morning with my eyes tearing like crazy. Whose bright idea was it to have the vent blow directly up? It made side sleeping worse because the air would then blow in one eye or the other. My AHI claimed to be great with the Wisp (typically less than 2) but I was still feeling tired in the morning. Slept with the Swift nasal pillows for the last 2 nights and the AHI was somewhat higher (around 4) which still isn't bad but I actually slept for the whole night both times. I'll try keeping going with the pillows for the time being. My big problem with them was that whenever I rolled over on my side there would be a leak and it would wake me up. Any suggestions to help with that?
05-30-2013 09:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
JJJ Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Most recent: Wisp, Pilairo, Mirage Vista
Humidifier: ResMed S9 Autoset
CPAP Pressure: 17-20

Other Comments:

RE: Wisp just isn't working for me. Switched back to the nasal pillows
(05-30-2013 09:35 AM)Laser Wrote:  I found myself waking up a bunch during the night with small leaks right at my cheek bones. I would also wake up every morning with my eyes tearing like crazy. Whose bright idea was it to have the vent blow directly up? It made side sleeping worse because the air would then blow in one eye or the other. My AHI claimed to be great with the Wisp (typically less than 2) but I was still feeling tired in the morning. Slept with the Swift nasal pillows for the last 2 nights and the AHI was somewhat higher (around 4) which still isn't bad but I actually slept for the whole night both times. I'll try keeping going with the pillows for the time being. My big problem with them was that whenever I rolled over on my side there would be a leak and it would wake me up.

I completely agree with your complaint about the vent. I considered creating a small deflector shield out of plastic to glue up around the vent. All masks must have a vent, and it is always a problem keeping the air from blowing on a bed partner.

I find my Pilairo to be far more comfortable than any other mask, but I just couldn't get the leaks under control. I've been doing pretty well with the Wisp so far.
05-30-2013 12:17 PM
Elen Offline

Members

Machine: PR Remstar 60 Series Auto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Pilairo
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 9.0
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
JJJ Wrote:I find my Pilairo to be far more comfortable than any other mask, but I just couldn't get the leaks under control.

Me too. The bottom of the cushion keeps popping off in the middle of the night. Is this your problem? What's up with that? The cushion is not that worn. I'm thinking about gorilla gluing it to the mask and worrying about how to get it off carefully later. I ordered the Wisp today but I am heartsick that I have been having this problem with the Pilairo lately. Any suggestions? Thanks.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2013 02:25 PM by Elen.)
05-30-2013 02:22 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Mike in Toronto Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed s9 auto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Pilairo and Wisp
Humidifier: Resmed s9
CPAP Pressure: 8 to 12. Usually around 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(05-30-2013 12:17 PM)JJJ Wrote:  
(05-30-2013 09:35 AM)Laser Wrote:  I found myself waking up a bunch during the night with small leaks right at my cheek bones. I would also wake up every morning with my eyes tearing like crazy. Whose bright idea was it to have the vent blow directly up? It made side sleeping worse because the air would then blow in one eye or the other. My AHI claimed to be great with the Wisp (typically less than 2) but I was still feeling tired in the morning. Slept with the Swift nasal pillows for the last 2 nights and the AHI was somewhat higher (around 4) which still isn't bad but I actually slept for the whole night both times. I'll try keeping going with the pillows for the time being. My big problem with them was that whenever I rolled over on my side there would be a leak and it would wake me up.

I completely agree with your complaint about the vent. I considered creating a small deflector shield out of plastic to glue up around the vent. All masks must have a vent, and it is always a problem keeping the air from blowing on a bed partner.

I find my Pilairo to be far more comfortable than any other mask, but I just couldn't get the leaks under control. I've been doing pretty well with the Wisp so far.

I have been switching back and forth between a Wisp and a Pilairo mask. The Pilairo is much more comfortable, but I too am having problems with a high leak rate, which doesn't happen with the Wisp.

However, I'm not sure that I care about the leak rate, as my AHI with the Pilairo is still quite good - usually around 3 or 4, almost always under 10.

So my question is, if my AHI is good, should I care about the leak rate? I am quite willing to deal with the frowny face on my machine's display each morning.

Thanks in advance

Mike
06-15-2013 02:36 PM
JJJ Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Most recent: Wisp, Pilairo, Mirage Vista
Humidifier: ResMed S9 Autoset
CPAP Pressure: 17-20

Other Comments:

(06-15-2013 02:36 PM)Mike in Toronto Wrote:  I have been switching back and forth between a Wisp and a Pilairo mask. The Pilairo is much more comfortable, but I too am having problems with a high leak rate, which doesn't happen with the Wisp.
However, I'm not sure that I care about the leak rate, as my AHI with the Pilairo is still quite good - usually around 3 or 4, almost always under 10.
So my question is, if my AHI is good, should I care about the leak rate? I am quite willing to deal with the frowny face on my machine's display each morning.

If your leak rate is over 24 then your machine cannot compensate and the therapy may be impaired. What the machine reports may not be accurate.
06-15-2013 10:37 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Moisture in My Wisp nasal mask Genetini 4 112 Today 06:28 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Turn my pressure back up? duece12345 5 181 12-07-2016 12:47 PM
Last Post: duece12345
  [CPAP] Machine turning self off and back on rstroudmsdwc 36 13,928 12-05-2016 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Advice on transitioning from pillows to FFM? Strat0caster 8 256 12-02-2016 10:58 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  [Equipment] ResMed Airsense 10 Quit Working SherrieR 4 259 11-26-2016 07:51 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Can't Find Device Number (DN) on Back of Machine gamegrrl 5 185 11-14-2016 05:32 PM
Last Post: gamegrrl
  [CPAP] Changes in how the machine has been working? Xinectyl 9 320 11-07-2016 12:02 PM
Last Post: Xinectyl