Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Using a CPAP to check sleep apnea
Using a CPAP to check sleep apnea
Hello
One of my friend suspects he suffers from Sleep Apnea. But the time to get a medically monitored night is huge here.
I was wondering if he could use a CPAP machine (I could lend him an old one I have) and use it for one night, in order to measure his AHI 

If the answer is yes, which settings would you use? (the machine I could lend him is a RESMED Airsense 10

Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Using a CPAP to check sleep apnea
Yes and no.
The trouble is there is no way we could tell if he is apnea free as he will be receiving at least a treatment level of 4cmw. If no signs of apnea are present we can only conclude that he is well treated at the pressures used.

Assuming he is generally healthy and has no serious pulmonary conditions ( he would no) it should be safe.

Id try these settings, basicly the machine min. I expect this to be at leasta not uncomfortable as the pressure is below what most adults find comfortable.

Make sure a SD card is installed
Mode:auto
Min=max=4 ( machines min)
EPR OFF (really doesn't' mater)
Ramp=Off

Post OSCAR daily charts for evaluation.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Using a CPAP to check sleep apnea
Not medical advice, but yeah.

Are there CPAP vendors that will give you take-home sleep studies? Those alone could be diagnostic, if the night monitoring that you're referring to is in hospital. Alternatively, if he, you, or someone around you has a pulse oximeter, that could be quite informative, but it's not diagnostic, as it cannot detect EEG arousals and therefore nor harder-to-detect sleep-disordered breathing.

Easiest path forward, in my opinion, is get your friend to try the CPAP on minimal settings, as Gideon mentioned, and then come here right away so that we can see and interpret the OSCAR data for you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 2 117 04-23-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 3 207 04-23-2024, 11:10 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 4 287 04-11-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 284 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 160 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Need help with RERAs in sleep apnea shedu1337 8 326 04-03-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: shedu1337
  Heart Failure with Sleep Apnea kwhenrykerr 2 233 04-02-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.