Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Wisp stats
Wisp stats
Just browsing the handbook which came with the Wisp mask as I was trying to see if there was mention of the intentional leak rate for this mask. I can't seem to find that information.

Does anyone know the stats?

Also, as you may be aware the Wisp comes with three size nasal masks. There is mention in the booklet of "Deadspace Volume" as follows:

P 37mL
S/M 49mL
L 73mL

Can someone explain what these figures refer to please?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Wisp stats
Assuming you put the CPAP air supply tube directly into your nose, there would be no "dead space". However, that's not what this mask does. The air hose connects to a plastic "bubble" that then seals to your nose. This volume of the plastic "bubble" is what I suspect they call the "dead space".

My brief usage of Google-fu could not find a User Manual for the Wisp mask. Furthermore, it appears that Respironics has not updated their intentional mask leak document with data for the Wisp. So, unless it is mentioned in your manual, the only way to get that information would be to call Respironics directly and ask them.
Post Reply Post Reply
with absence of any info from Respironcis, I suspect the Wisp vents leak rate is the same as True Blue and EasyLife nasal masks
@10 .... both 26 L/min http://www.healthcare.philips.com/asset....111027.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys for your replies Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Well OK, if you are willing to go with a guess based on similarity. I wouldn't be too surprised if it were off by as much as 3 L/min, though!! Dodgy Rolleyes
Post Reply Post Reply
The Wisp has a "System One resistance" rating of 1, the same as the TrueBlue, Comfortgel Blue or the Optilife, so the leak rate should be similar. But yes, that leaves a few liters variation.

As to dead space: that is the volume of air in a mask that is not replaced by the airflow from the cpap between breaths. When you exhale, the air goes out through the vent but the last bit of air stays in the mask and is inhaled again the next cycle followed by a huge volume of fresh air from the cpap machine.

If you had a deadspace running into liters, you would exhale into the mask and inhale the same air again in the next cycle, slowly increasing the carbon dioxide level and decreasing oxygen. A dead volume of a few mililiters is completely insignificant compared to the volume of air your lungs replace each breath so for cpap masks it does not matter. For deepsea diving equipment this stuff is vital however.
Post Reply Post Reply
So, with less deadspace there is less chance of CO2 rebreathing?

The RT at the DME seems obsessed by this.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 440 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  5 years and never looked at the stats, need advice StephenB 5 398 02-08-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question [CPAP] Oura Ring Sleep Stats with CPAP FooMan 2 1,222 01-13-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Chask
  OSCAR - computing stats for subsection of night confinedmind 6 452 01-07-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Your thoughts on my stats Brennie 60 2,711 12-30-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Brennie
  oscar stats-need help teamarliss 2 420 12-07-2023, 04:07 PM
Last Post: teamarliss
  [CPAP] Exhausted newbie, good stats (?) but more tired mrp80 6 706 09-04-2023, 04:05 PM
Last Post: Old Steve

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.