Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

With nasal mask, feel air "buildup" and need to swallow
With nasal mask, feel air "buildup" and need to swallow
Hi folks! I hope you can help me troubleshoot this. So, I have a dreamwear full face mask, and I can use it fine. I breathe and everything feels great. But with the nasal mask (Dreamwear nasal cushion AND Resmed N30i), I can breathe fine, but I feel like there's a "buildup" of air like at the back of my mouth, and I feel the need to swallow (more so with the Resmed N30i). Combined with this, I feel pressure in my ears (again, I don't feel this with the full face mask - and I'm usually just breathing through my nose with that too. 
another data point: I'm a little congested in one nostril. 
Yes, I do have the setting put to "nasal pillows" (what Resmed says to do).

Can anyone tell me why this is happening, and what I can do to fix it? I really want to be able to wear the nasal mask, but not if it makes me swallow all the time. 

I suspect it will have to do with turning my pressure down?

Thanks in advance!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: With nasal mask, feel air "buildup" and need to swallow
When that happened to me I dropped my pressure .2 (from 7.0 to 6.8). It made a huge difference. I mouth tape and leave a very small opening at one end to release the air. That being said since I dropped the pressure there is no longer excess air in my mouth. Not sure this will work for you and is solely based on my own experience.
Post Reply Post Reply
.2 is all it took? wow! after I posted this I dropped my lowest pressure from 10 to 8. It alleviated it somewhat, and didnt' affect my AHI too much, so maybe I can lower it even ore.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep…that was all it took! Good job lowering your pressure. Hope it works out! ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yup, same as YipeekiOH here. When I went up to pressure of 9, I would get random leaks into my mouth. When I reduced to the pressure, it wouldn't leak. So, what I did was try incrementing little at a time until find a threshold that the air doesn't leak, and it was 8.6. This is generally how I find the right fixed pressure as well. I do well with fixed pressure settings. I don't use auto pressures.

Leaks are one of the reason why I go fixed pressure. So, I can control the pressure limit to prevent leaks.

I would also try sleeping on the side. I noticed greater chances of a leak when sleeping on my back. When sleeping on the side, particularly left side, there were no leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Fixed pressure has helped so much. Solid sleep each night. Had lots of problems with APAP due to excess pressure. That said, lots of people get great benefit from APAP while some of us just need fixed pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 189 Yesterday, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Abhi
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 87 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 99 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 832 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 327 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 321 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,078 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.