Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

With vs Without protriptyline
With vs Without protriptyline
So I decided to see what might happen if I skipped the protriptyline last night.

Here

Just one pair of nights, but looking at the 2 suggests that the protriptyline is helping some.

With it
Hypopnea: 2
Obstructive: 4
RERA: 6

Without it for 1 night
Clear: 6
Hypopnea: 5
Obstructive: 11
RERA: 11

Note that the diagnostic sleep study was done after 2 weeks without the protriptyline and the CPAP titration was done after 2 weeks back on it. (here)

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: With vs Without protriptyline
Beej,

What was the protriptyline prescribed for?

If it helps you establish continuous sleep faster and helps you maintain sleep by reducing the number of spontaneous arousals, that could explain the difference in the data.

Of course, it could also be that you just happen to be comparing a "good" night that would have been "good" regardless of whether you took the protriptyline to a "bad" night that would have been "bad" regardless of whether you took the protriptyline or not.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't understand the action of this medication well enough to comment on its possible effect on CPAP therapy or apnea in general, however I would caution against any abrupt discontinuation of any medication of this type, or in drawing conclusions of the effect of a one night abstention.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2016, 12:20 PM)robysue Wrote: What was the protriptyline prescribed for?...

It was originally prescribed back around 1994 of a mixed central apnea. From what I've read, it reduces the amount of REM sleep which is when many apneas happen.

(12-10-2016, 12:46 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: ...I would caution against any abrupt discontinuation of any medication of this type, or in drawing conclusions of the effect of a one night abstention.
I went off it for 2 weeks pre-diagnostic sleep study with no problems other than getting more and more daytime hypersomnolence.

I'm on a pretty low dose for these reasons:
1) it does some of the same things as the paroxetine does for me, but I wasn't able to take just the protriptyline due to side effects.
2) the paroxetine potentiates the protriptyline resulting in anywhere from 2-5 times the expected blood level based on dose.
3) I am a slow metabolizer of the enzymes which breaks both of these down (CYP 450 2D6 for those who want to look it up). I had to cut back both the paroxetine and the protriptyline to 5 mg and 1.25ish mg (quartered tablet because of the potentiation) in order to avoid hallucinations and seizures. I'd never had an hallucination before ... and it was a boring one at that.

For those who'd like a bit more info on CYP 450 drug interactions, see this.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.