Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Rent ASV machine
Question 
Rent ASV machine
My insurance runs out on Dec. 31 and I will have to pay the rent that my insurance has paid for my ResMed 9. On my software, I have noticed that 90% of my AHIs are central apneas, so I thought that I might as well rent an ASV machine.

But where do I do that or should I say, which online site can I rent a machine?

KateSleep-well
:Using cpap then vpap since Feb.2013,
Kate
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Rent ASV machine
ASV stand for "Adaptive servo-ventilation"
ASV is a complex machine designed to treat central sleep apnea including complex apnea, mixed sleep apnea and cheyne-stokes respiration
I don,t believe there is on-line site or even brick/mortar store that can rent/sell you anything without a prescription that specifies this type of machine. You say "90% of my AHIs are central apneas" but you don,t say 90% of what. We don,t know if any of those central events are due to medications plus the machine have limitation cannot tell you if you were awake or asleep when the events are scored.
Only sleep study in a sleep lab can properly diagnose you with central sleep apnea, your own sleep physician is the best person to advise you
I,m not expert and its not like APAP can be set with pressure range and the machine adjust the pressure within the range ... not that simple

Post Reply Post Reply
Kate, not sure if you mentioned this in another thread, but how long have you been renting the S9 unit?

Generally, insurance will transition you from "rental" and they will purchase the machine for you after a certain number of months with solid compliance (using the machine regularly each night). If it's been a few months since you started on CPAP, I would call your insurance company now to see what their policy is regarding a transition from rental to outright purchase for you before your insurance ends. You might be able to have them purchase it outright for you from the Durable Medical Equipment supplier (DME).

Coffee

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have wondered if she is currently using an ASV or not. I know ResMed has one but I was under the impression that Kate was not currently using an ASV machine. I could be wrong.
Post Reply Post Reply
It would be cheaper in the long run to just buy one out right. A DME is not going to let a person "rent" one. They only let insurance companies do that because they get more money that way.

If you have to buy out of pocket, check out Supplier #2 in the supplier's list (link at top of every page). He may be able to work out a deal for you.

As for no insurance, have you gone to an "insurance broker" or gone to the websites? I know many cities and counties have places set up for folks to go to for advice and help.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I currently have no insurance, and will not be eligible for Medicare til July, 2014. At that point I hope to get a new study done, and move to an ASV machine myself. Sadly, they are not cheap. And, as my current PS is at 8, I believe the Resmed version won't work for me, so of course I will need the most spendy one out there.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed S9 Bipap adapt Auto SV machine is the most spendy machine out there.

(12-13-2013, 11:52 AM)Peter_C Wrote: I'm in the same boat as the OP. I currently have no insurance, and will not be eligible for Medicare til July, 2014. At that point I hope to get a new study done, and move to an ASV machine myself. Sadly, they are not cheap. And, as my current PS is at 8, I believe the Resmed version won't work for me, so of course I will need the most spendy one out there.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-13-2013, 11:52 AM)Peter_C Wrote: And, as my current PS is at 8, I believe the Resmed version won't work for me, so of course I will need the most spendy one out there.

Why so? The Resmed ASV Adapt has a max PS of 20. Here in Oz the Resmed is cheaper than the Philips (though more expensive than the same thing sold in the US).

Having used both machines, I'd suggest you try both (if possible) before selecting one over the other. The Philips seems to have more sophisticated algorithms and better reporting, but the Resmed is a much more comfortable machine to use (for me) and is the one that got my AHI down consistently.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am told that the Resmed machine maxPS you can set to be six. It can climb to 20, but I need a base PS of eight right now.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2013, 01:21 AM)Peter_C Wrote: I am told that the Resmed machine maxPS you can set to be six. It can climb to 20, but I need a base PS of eight right now.

I may have misunderstood you. The highest minimum PS is indeed 6, while the max can be set anywhere between 0 and 20. Mine is currently set with minimum PS at 3 and maximum at 10. However you can set the minimum EPAP anywhere between 4 and 15, so I think there should be flexibility there to get the setting you need.

As I said above, give them both a try if you can - you might find that one is much better than the other for you.

[attachment=614]

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 261,277 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Sites to rent machine for a month Kmzizzle 3 534 09-25-2023, 11:34 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Is it ok to buy Refurbished CPAP machine? Rent ketanerp 1 734 09-20-2022, 03:22 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,777 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,299 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Insurance doesn’t cover rent-to-own orand 32 2,937 10-02-2020, 03:24 PM
Last Post: becker44a
  Forced to rent a machine by DME, what can i do cheekoo 7 1,462 10-14-2019, 05:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.