Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Woke Up Dying
RE: Woke Up Dying
(12-13-2013, 06:57 AM)wilder Wrote: When I tried to exhale with all my might, I could feel something sliding out of my throat (although at the time, I thought it was sliding from the windpipe).

I did that during my sleep study. The tech said many apneas can occur during the exhale. I don't buy it. I think they occur right after the exhale. You can't have an apnea if you're exhaling, because if you're exhaling you're breathing, and if you're breathing you're not, by definition, having an apnea. I suppose you could be having an hypopnea, though.

After the exhale the airway either remains partially collapsed or collapses completely, then you can't inhale, which causes you to wake up just enough to breathe. And the cycle repeats itself. As an example, with an AHI of 23, sleeping 8 hours a night, that'll happen 184 times a night. Multiply that by 365 days per year times 20 years (a couple of decades of OSA) and you've done it over 1.3 million times!

Then you get a CPAP machine and you have to learn how to sleep all over again because during those 20 years you subconsciously learned to tolerate all that.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
...and when that guy dozed
his uvula closed
what it thought was a wide-open fistula
Hey Sleepster...

Thank you for the staggering computation. I love stuff like that.
...and when that guy dozed
his uvula closed
what it thought was a wide-open fistula
was really and out of control funicular

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 772 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  Woke up feeling air starved, turned machine off fell back to sleep but with mask on Phil487 7 846 01-20-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Phil487
  Woke up with a stuffy nose for the last two nights,couldnt breathe.Suggestions? vrapche031 8 2,017 10-06-2023, 03:12 PM
Last Post: JoeP
  Woke up starving for air, but don't know why Phil487 21 1,292 10-05-2023, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Woke up feeling absolutely awful - OSCAR graph analysis really appreciated new2paphopeful 2 686 10-03-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  Can someone plea look at this, woke up several times feeling breathless with AHI of 0 Phil487 3 702 07-01-2023, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Phil487
  [CPAP] Woke up due to not breathing Kinnu 3 541 06-24-2023, 04:35 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.