Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Woke during CA event
Woke during CA event
I have the S9 Autoset and since my trip to DC last summer, it has been noisy. It makes high pitched noises as I breathe, even just running with the mask off.

A few weeks ago I woke because there was a high pitched beeping noise and a vibration on my face. I was laying on my back. As I slowly woke up, I realized the noise and the vibration matched. And that I was not breathing. I had no urge to breathe. I was not struggling at all. It was very surreal. It wasn't long that I lay like that, just a few seconds. I had to really think about it, you know? When I did, the noise from the CPAP and the vibration on my face went away. I am assuming it was the pulses from the machine.

I was afraid to go back to sleep! I rolled off my back and played a game on my phone for a while before finally going back to sleep.

Unfortunately, the SD card was not fully into the machine so I didn't get it recorded. The SD thing on this machine is dying and I am lucky to be getting any data at all. But that's another story.

Anyone ever have anything similar?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Woke during CA event
I find that sometimes, not often I find myself not breathing. As I think about it and wait to see what happens I start to thing I need to breath. Their is no panic, I am calm and just start to breath again. It happens when I am awake. I do not have any memory of it during sleep. It showes up in sleepyhead once in a while.

I will sometimes have trouble getting food down it will go into my wind pipe. It happen one time during one of the doctors test. The doctors have ask if I have had any brain damage. After a history report on what they did not have in their files I was told to just live with it.

It does not bother me about the breathing but the food and drink going into my lungs is not fun.

It is kind of strange how calm I am when not breathing. Dont-know

Post Reply Post Reply
I have not had anything remotely like that. I would find that very spooky. Maybe it was just your chronic sarcasm trying to get out?? Big Grin

Take care,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
i had a similar noise problem, and the provider kept hemming and hawing and saying machine was ok until i complained to my dr, who ordered a new machine and i got it pronto.  another s9, tho, because they said they had not received any of the new models.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a reaction to ultram (tramadol) where the urge to breathe just wasn't there. That and I fell flat on my face and had no clue why the floor hit me.

I am due for a new machine. Just not looking forward to the fight.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I hate it when the floor does that. Good luck with the new machine. And thanks for all you do.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
you seem to have a good doc. usually not much of a fight with dme when that is the case.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2017, 08:24 PM)kwhenrykerr Wrote: I find that sometimes, not often I find myself not breathing. As I think about it and wait to see what happens I start to thing I need to breath. Their is no panic, I am calm and just start to breath again. It happens when I am awake. I do not have any memory of it during sleep. It showes up in sleepyhead once in a while.

Hi kwhenrykerr,

ResMed and others make Ventilator machines, which are like ASV except are portable and are meant for use while awake.

I suggest investigating whether you can qualify for getting one. Could be used only when the central apneas tend to occur, such as when on line or reading or whenever.  

Take care.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had that experience of not breathing and not seeming to think it's a big deal. It's one of the reasons I got on board with getting a sleep study and a CPAP.

I've also had a lot of experience with food, and especially drinK, going down the wrong pipe. It happens more often when my Lyme is flaring. It happens less frequently when I concentrate on the swallowing, rather than doing it by habit.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't get the noise with my machine, but I have had a couple incidents where I've found myself laying there, awake and thinking to myself "wait, what happened? Why am I awake at this hour? Oh,  I guess I should kinda breathe or something too...." Sure enough, it was a central, but they are relatively uncommon for me (more often than not something medication related).
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 402 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 808 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 332 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Woke up feeling air starved, turned machine off fell back to sleep but with mask on Phil487 7 864 01-20-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Phil487
  CPAP sticks on higher pressure after Obstructive Apnea event AlanR 3 462 11-12-2023, 12:19 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Woke up with a stuffy nose for the last two nights,couldnt breathe.Suggestions? vrapche031 8 2,026 10-06-2023, 03:12 PM
Last Post: JoeP
  Woke up starving for air, but don't know why Phil487 21 1,312 10-05-2023, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.