Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Woke up and went back to sleep. Then This Happened. Can Someone Help Explain?
Woke up and went back to sleep. Then This Happened. Can Someone Help Explain?
I went to bed at midnight. Woke up just before 6AM. Stopped my machine. Felt tired. So I went back to sleep with my CPAP (Airsense Auto 10). 

I woke up a couple hours later and now I download my data and it looks like this. 

Any explanation what causes this? This is what was keeping me awake before medication these kind of recurring apneas. I need to be medicated or extremely relaxed to sleep through this. 

Explanations? Advice? 

Before I woke up the first time

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Woke up and went back to sleep. Then This Happened. Can Someone Help Explain?
Recently upped my pressure from 4 to 5 to 5.6 to 5.8 to 6 over a week's time.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Woke up and went back to sleep. Then This Happened. Can Someone Help Explain?
That cluster of events is likely caused by "chin tucking" (aka: positional apnea).  The usual recommendation is to use a soft cervical collar to help prevent your chin from dropping to your chest.  You can usually find one at your local pharmacy, or search the web for "eliminator sleep pillow" which is slightly different than a traditional cervical collar. 

Some more info:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. Even if it is Clear Airway it is still most likely chin tucking?
Post Reply Post Reply
it's a good question that I haven't seen a definitive answer to. chin tucking involves airway restriction so clusters that respond to collars are most likely obstructive. still, if these bunches of ca continue, it's worth $20 usd for a collar to see if it makes a difference. or no $ to try bonjour's towel wrapped around a necktie.
Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP house keeping - I see your max pressure is set to 20 which is wide open. Your max pressure of what you posted was 9.75 and most of the night you were below 7.5. 95% of the time you were at or below 8.4. This is likely not causing your problem but you might start bringing your max down to a few points over your average daily max which I can't glean from only 1 night's data. If your average daily max were actually 9.75 then try setting max to 12.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd be of the opinion chin tucking would generate obstructional apnea events. As these are flagged CA, it could be a pressure swing influenced cluster. If the event cluster is near the beginning or ending of a sleep session, maybe it's due to SWJ or sleep/wake junk.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just took another look at your chart focused on the ca and 1 h. you might want to look into periodic limb movement as the flow rate pattern looks much like my respiratory response to plm. if plm is present, your reaction to the 'injury' of movement may be to hold your breath.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would say it’s extended sleep wake junk due to going back to sleep it looks a lot like periodic breathing. There is nothing you can do to fix this with your machine just shake your head and move on it’s not enough to worry about
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with jaswilliams.  For whatever reason, you are continuously coming awake and then slipping back into sleep.  Often, people record CA events as they turn over, or as they fall asleep.  It's very common.

It could be leg movements, could be sleeping position, could be head position relative to the neck and airway, could be noises that recur, .....?  Something is 'bringing you back' out of sleep fairly often.  If you awaken on your back, it's probably your preferred sleeping position, and that is not good for a great many of us, especially if you head sags forward under the pressure of a pillow and you end up pinching your airway as your neck folds.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,953 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 160 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 203 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 514 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 930 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 395 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Help figuring out why symptoms are back Jess2117 1 293 02-21-2024, 06:39 PM
Last Post: MikeR20

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.