Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Woke up coughing
Woke up coughing
Last night I woke up coughing and panicked. I pulled the mask (quattro air) off and coughed for a few seconds and calmed down and got up and drank some water. I have noticed a cough has developed since I started CPAP. Is this common?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Woke up coughing
Dry mouth, nasal congestion, acid reflux, side effect of some medication are likely suspects
See your doctor if matter of concern
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2013, 08:50 PM)zonk Wrote: Dry mouth, nasal congestion, acid reflux, side effect of some medication are likely suspects
See your doctor if matter of concern

Probably all of the above. I take doxepin which leaves me with a dry mouth and I take flonase for nasal congestion. Acid reflux is a hard one because I don't like the acid blockers. I did find a good tablet called esophagus guardian. Maybe I'll do one in a preemptive strike before bed.
As soon as I begin sleeping through the night well with CPAP hopefully I can drop the doxepin with its side effect of dry mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
Biotene is great for dry mouth. They have toothpaste, mouthwash, dry mouth spray. It is expensive but well worth it. Ayr for dry nose if you get that. Hope it resolves for you. I am not too sure about acid blockers but have been told that Prilosec and Nexium are good and Prilosec is pretty inexpensive. Not sure about Nexium.
Post Reply Post Reply
You could try raising the head of the bed by just a few inches. A single 2x4 under the feet of the headboard should be enough.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Had my machine for a week when I noticed a cough starting up. I ordered a machine that kills all bacteria in the hose, mask and machine using ozone. Works wonders, clean mask every night. No more cough.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2013, 11:08 PM)eschy Wrote: Had my machine for a week when I noticed a cough starting up. I ordered a machine that kills all bacteria in the hose, mask and machine using ozone. Works wonders, clean mask every night. No more cough.

What kind of machine are you speaking of that kills bacteria in your hose, mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2013, 09:29 PM)me50 Wrote: Biotene is great for dry mouth. They have toothpaste, mouthwash, dry mouth spray. It is expensive but well worth it. Ayr for dry nose if you get that. Hope it resolves for you. I am not too sure about acid blockers but have been told that Prilosec and Nexium are good and Prilosec is pretty inexpensive. Not sure about Nexium.

I have used both biotene and ayr. Prevacid works better than Prilosec and Nexium for me but I do not use these drugs regularly because of the long term side effects. I prefer to use a short acting tablet such as Esophageal guardian. Last night I washed my nose out with a neti pot and salt solution and did not have a return of the coughing. It was the itch that kept me awake last night. I had to keep detaching the hose and scratching an itch on the side of my nose. Every night is an adventure on CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
yep, this is one heck of an adventure but it keeps us alive and helps keep our vital organs from deteriorating from untreated apnea! wishing you much success. I bet you will stick with it and over time, it will be successful. It is all a matter of finding masks, etc. that works for each of us individually!
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-13-2013, 09:46 AM)me50 Wrote:
(12-12-2013, 11:08 PM)eschy Wrote: Had my machine for a week when I noticed a cough starting up. I ordered a machine that kills all bacteria in the hose, mask and machine using ozone. Works wonders, clean mask every night. No more cough.

What kind of machine are you speaking of that kills bacteria in your hose, mask?

The machine is called SoClean
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 807 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  Woke up feeling air starved, turned machine off fell back to sleep but with mask on Phil487 7 864 01-20-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Phil487
  Woke up with a stuffy nose for the last two nights,couldnt breathe.Suggestions? vrapche031 8 2,024 10-06-2023, 03:12 PM
Last Post: JoeP
  Woke up starving for air, but don't know why Phil487 21 1,312 10-05-2023, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Woke up feeling absolutely awful - OSCAR graph analysis really appreciated new2paphopeful 2 697 10-03-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  Can someone plea look at this, woke up several times feeling breathless with AHI of 0 Phil487 3 708 07-01-2023, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Phil487
  [CPAP] Woke up due to not breathing Kinnu 3 546 06-24-2023, 04:35 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.