Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Woke up gasping for air and heart racing, but OSCAR detects no events
Woke up gasping for air and heart racing, but OSCAR detects no events
Good morning all, 

I have been on CPAP for about 6 months and have gotten pretty used to it. However, I have had a cold and nose congestion for the past few days and have had trouble sleeping. Last night was particularly bad. I started off the night at 10-11.6 pressure and 2 EPR, which I have had great success with. However, I kept waking throughout the night gasping for air. I decided to make a note of them time whenever I felt that I was gasping for air, so that I could check it out in OSCAR in the morning.

0526- woke gasping for Air, got out of bed and increased pressure to 11-12, thinking maybe with the congestion this would help
0616- gasping for Air, again got out of bed and increased pressure 12-13
0637- gasping for Air, thinking if increasing the pressure that high outside of my normal that maybe these are clear airway events and not obstructuve, so reduced EPR to 1

After these adjustments, still had the same problems and took the mask off around 0730. Slept from 0800-1000 with no respiratory events, that I noticed. What gives? 

Here are screenshots of the whole night, plus the three events that woke me up in a panic. Thank you!

And here is the final event that woke me:

AirSense S11 AutoSet, ResMed F20 Air Touch FFM, ClimateLine set to auto humidity 84* tube temp, 10-11.4 pressure, EPR 2
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Woke up gasping for air and heart racing, but OSCAR detects no events
No idea, but I've recently had cases I'd wake up and rip off my mask due to not being able to breath, and I suspected it was due to a brief power cut off to my CPAP. There is two rooms in my house that uses the same breaker line that is quite limited in current. For cases like these, people usually get power backups, so that they don't run into such situation. When you have your mask on and there is no airflow being provided, it's hard to breath. I had to turn off couple of electronics in my room that was drawing current so that it wouldn't cause this power break.

I'd hate to be living in an area that has frequent occurrences of power outages at night.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does Aircurve 10 Vauto record events and flow limits during ramp mode? SingleH 3 39 5 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 44 1,345 04-17-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: jcp519
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 359 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Woke up choking, concerned about vents michael7 2 126 04-09-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: michael7
  Are any of these events real? BigWing 6 197 04-09-2024, 02:40 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 218 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 3 946 04-08-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: hejohoo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.