Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Woke up to burning smell, ran out of water
Woke up to burning smell, ran out of water
So got a Resmed10, and woke up to a bad smell.  Think it was going on for a few hours on sleep as I ember that smell in my sleep.   
One I realized the smell I took off the mall and saw resevior was empty.  So it was the getting element heating the resivior with no water.

How bad is that and should I worry?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Woke up to burning smell, ran out of water
It's not great, generally, but I doubt you have fried the heating element.  Just refill to the highest level, but maybe dial back your humidity some...mebbe quite a bit?  The idea with PAP therapy is to constantly monitor for trends, but also to keep an eye on 'limits'.  With seasonal changes, we sometimes need less of a thing, or more of it.  It could be that you're using up the water needlessly fast.  The only way to tell is to dial back the humidity by at least 20% and see how it unfolds for a couple of nights.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it has to do w/ I slept longer then normal (avg is 5), slept 9.  So I "verified" water level, but didnt take into account longer sleep.  
Is there any bad for breathing in smell/vapors, cant find anything stating anything.     Like I said not sure how long I was breathing, cause I know in the dream I could smell it, but it was assocated to something else in the dream (like a new rug/carpet).     

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
No worries, been there more than a few times.  I don't know WTH the smell is (it is hideous though!) but it seems to be only as the unit runs dry.  Wife never puts water in her humidifier, literally runs it dry 100% of the time with no ill effects.
To answer the next question, she leaves the humidifier attached for her so-clean (I know, don't want to hear it, lol).
Post Reply Post Reply
When plastic gets hot enough, it begins to emit volatiles and smells.  It could be that the heating plate warmed the plastic vessel enough near it that there was some of that.  It's not good for us.  Our livers have to deal with it.  However, you'd need a lot more exposure than just the odd night or three each year.  I wouldn't be concerned about that risk so much as the continued arousals and interruptions of a decent night's sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
In my experience when the reservoir goes dry, it simply does not smell fresh, but it is not burning hot. The humidifier has a controlled heat source that should not cause temperatures hot enough to burn or even to be hot enough to your touch to cause a burn. I don't think the bad smell is anything more than the few residues in the water, and it's certainly not vaporizing plastics or metal. If you use CPAP long enough, you will eventually run dry. A good cleaning of the reservoir is probably needed, and I recommend always having a spare humidifier tray just in case.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I've only run out of water in the reservoir once. Don't recall any odd smell at all. 

Just a bit of dried up calcium / mineral deposit left behind.
Post Reply Post Reply
For me, it smells like ammonia. Causes me to sneeze most of the day until my nostrils and nasal passages get over it. I've not experienced it with the A10 as much as I did the S9. Gah, just thinking about that smell makes my nose burn!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I think I'd go with a rinse and dry for the humidifier tub. You can also check for leakage, but it's probably OK. A humidifier setting adjustment might be a good idea to prevent this in the future. Alternate is if you don't trust the tub integrity is to swap in a new one.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Closest I could come descriptively is rotting meat. Not exactly, just reminiscent of. Consistent from my old Resmed S9 to the current Dreamstation. The smell will bring me out of a sound sleep. But it does go away, as I said above my wife always runs hers with no water. Dunno...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 32 10 hours ago
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,735 Today, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,312 Yesterday, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 67 25,315 03-10-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: mikekowalski
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,101 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 151 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 771 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.