Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Woke up with a stuffy nose for the last two nights,couldnt breathe.Suggestions?
Woke up with a stuffy nose for the last two nights,couldnt breathe.Suggestions?
I tried searching for similar topics and found some useful stuff but I wanted to make this post because usually I got really good suggestions before. 

I have a n30i nasal cradle mask and cant sleep with a full face mask so far. No humidifier, APAP 7-14. Also use a chin strap. In the evenings my nose was fine but I woke up in the morning with a almost completely stuffed nose, solid hard mucus. I assume that I woke up because I wasnt getting enough air, even awake I could not really get enough air and I had to take of my mask. I also woke up drooling all over my face, I guess I was trying to keep my mouth open to get some air. 

Im going to use a nasal shower today in the evening before sleep to clear up my nose, hopefully that helps. 

But does anyone have any other suggestions ? I might order a new FFM to try it out because it will just be easier like this but it will take time until I get it. People who just use nasal pillows and get a cold or just a stuffy nose from time to time, how do you deal with it?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Woke up with a stuffy nose for the last two nights,couldnt breathe.Suggestions?
In my opinion, this sounds like your nasal passages are drying out due to CPAP therapy. I think adding humidity would resolve the issue and you could venture onward with the nasal mask, avoiding the switch over to full face version.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Woke up with a stuffy nose for the last two nights,couldnt breathe.Suggestions?
It does sound like you need to start using humidity.  I don't know anything about the Prisma Smart machines, but does it have a humidifier attached?  If yes, set it to a medium setting for humidity.  If there is no humidifier with the machine, can you add a stand alone humidifier in your room.

Definitely start using saline nasal rinses and a small amount of lanolish type lubricant in your nostrils to keep them from drying out at night.

I use a nasal pillow mask and continue to use it even if congested or stuffy. The direct air pressure to the nostrils keeps the nasal passages open.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I experience chronic nasal congestion at some times of the year when allergies are a problem. I use fluticasone propionate which is an over-the-counter corticosteroids. Considering your complaint of a dry crusty nose, humidity would be a good addition.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do have something similar from a pharmacy, its called GeloSitin but I usually just sprayed it once before sleep if I felt like my nose was getting dry. Just read about it again and apparently I can do it multiple times during the day, so I will try that.

My CPAP does not have a humidifier but one can be attached to it. I will try to reach out to my sleep doctor and ask for a note, so that I can get it from the company thats giving me the CPAP machine. Until then I will try placing a small humidifier next to my bed.

Thanks everyone, I wasnt sure if getting a humidifier would work for this.
Post Reply Post Reply
had to take sudafed.... then once the allergy season calmed down, I take Ibruprophen PM. But be careful of sudafed....it could jack up blood pressure. Definitely use humidifier..
Post Reply Post Reply
Info I gathered from the Löwenstein Medical website is there's an add-on humidifier called prismaAqua, a pyramid shaped unit in black. It looks like a piggyback unit that connects on the side of your machine. I'm going by the assumption that you would match prisma base unit to prisma humidifier. There's 2 other styles for other machines that are SOMNOaqua that's round in bluish opaque plastic and then a SOMNOclick 300 that's a round-ish black plastic unit with a bump on top for hoses. Likely these second 2 are probably for other machines.

I added the prismaAQUA image below

[attachment=23997]
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Few of us wake with plugged noses full of dried mucous unless there's something going on inside the sinuses or unless you are fighting a bug of some kind and are having unusually heavy discharge.  I wonder if there isn't a reaction going on, maybe to mold, some allergen (dander, mites, something else in the bed or wafting up under foot-fall).

But, that aside, if the mucous is truly thickened or dry, it means you're not getting enough humidity....OR....you're not drinking enough.
Post Reply Post Reply
My experience was that my nose wanted cool and somewhat moist air. So jacking up the humidity and using a heated hose on top of that made it a lot worse. Experiment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,815 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 202 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 254 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 153 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 216 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,984 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,933 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.