Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Woke up with faster breathing and feeling off/anxiety
Question 
Woke up with faster breathing and feeling off/anxiety
48yo Male, 260lbs, 6'1", with two instances of DVT/PE blood clots, and one instance of AFIB in 2017. I'm on Xarelto for life, and get routine blood work for clotting, which has been negative. Also on Bystolic (Beta Blocker).

Guys, I've been doing well for most part. But some nights, even with low AHI, I wake up with a feeling that my heart has been stressed out at night and anxiety feeling too. I have this minor "stressful/odd" feeling in left side of my chest. I will notice if I shift positions to a different side, it feels like blood flow takes awhile to catch up. My SpO2 will drop when shifting sides down to 88-90% and back to normal 93-94%.

This "stressful/odd" feeling in my chest woke me up twice last night. Each time I felt like I was breathing a little faster than I normally do.

I was going to go workout at the gym earlier this morning, but felt a little "wore out" from my bad night. But now, a few hours later, the symptoms have gone away. I took a Klonopin when I woke up and that seemed to help symptoms go away a bit.

Anyone have any insight on what could be going on?

[Image: IbPcCXl.png]

[Image: b2DrVN0.png]

[Image: 3wJM4lD.png]
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Woke up with faster breathing and feeling off/anxiety
Your breathing does become more rapid, with a lower tidal volume. I don't know why this is happening, though perhaps one of the experts can offer some thoughts. But I'm posting on this because, with your health history, I would advise you to see your PCP or cardiologist. Perhaps they will ask you to wear a heart monitor for a day or week or month, which could give them more information about what's going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Dormeo. I had anxiety because of sleep apnea but I do not have any heart problems or clotting issues. I think it’s worth saying again, get to your cardiologist ASAP 

My anxiety was from flow limitations and events. You have practically none to speak of.
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
Made an appt Monday with cardiologist. But I doubt they will have any new insights or tests they can run to diagnose this issue. I've had all the tests and radioactive imaging in the world on my heart and chest. Didn't reveal anything in the past. Treadmill test they had my heart at 103% of maximum with no issues.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
I’m glad you’ll be seeing the cardiologist. It could be useful to him or her to see what is going on at night.

I went through stress testing and imaging myself last year, with an eventual diagnosis of costochondritis, but some recent arrhythmias now have me on a thirty-day monitor to see what my heart does 24/7.

I mention this only to underline the point that different symptoms may make different tests appropriate. I’m really glad you’ll be seeing the doc and hope you’ll update us when you know more.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,178 Yesterday, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Jorgo
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 261 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 153 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 174 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 515 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 327 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 193 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.