Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Woke up without mask on, large red bump on forehead
Question 
Woke up without mask on, large red bump on forehead
Hello everyone,

So I woke up this morning without my mask on. I don't recall even removing the mask during the night.

My forehead felt a little strange as I was getting out of bed so I checked myself in the mirror and saw a large red, swollen bump on my forehead. Size of the bump was a little larger than a half dollar. This is the first time this has happened for me.

The swelling has gone down and redness has gone away but I can still feel the bump is there.

Has anyone experienced this before? I'm curious as to what happened to me during my sleep!

-wullybully76
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Woke up without mask on, large red bump on forehead
Yeah my wife hit me in the head for kicking in my sleep and knocked my mask off. Heck of a goose egg . LOL

Seriously. If it was the simplus sounds like its adjusted way to tight on upper side straps.

If its the comfort gel blue you might be reacting to the forehead cushion material OR have it too tight. Or both.

Or your wife may have beaned you betwixt the eyes lol.
Post Reply Post Reply
LOL, no spouse/partner so maybe it was my dog Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Could it have been an insect bite/sting? Maybe something crawled under that part of the mask and got pinched. I'd expect an allergic reaction to me more itchy than a bump.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got worried:

You woke up without your mask and a knot on your head... First thought was, were you in an alley, behind a bar, next to a dumpster, missing a kidney?

Then I read the rest.

Does that red mark match up with where the mask fits against your forehead? Can it be an allergic reaction? Skin irritation? Or does it seem more like an impact like you hit your head against something during the night while you were asleep and knocked your mask off?

I remember a time I rolled over after sleeping funny on my arm. My arm went dead and when I tried to move it, it flopped down and smacked me in the face.
Post Reply Post Reply

Hello.
1-I my case the problem was a skin allergy. I cut a piece of cotton fabric and placed between the mask and my skin until the allergy spot disappeared. You must check how are you cleaning the mask too.
2-It could be, that the mask is too tight.Huhsign
Ralph.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-24-2016, 03:31 PM)natyprueba Wrote: Hello.
1-I my case the problem was a skin allergy. I cut a piece of cotton fabric and placed between the mask and my skin until the allergy spot disappeared.

Once in a long while I'll get a sensitive spot.

A suggestion that worked for me: Use medical paper tape. It's made of paper, has a light adhesive, breathes, and is used in hospitals for taping things onto people with sensitive skin. It can be cut with scissors into whatever shape you need. Stick it onto your skin and it acts as a protective layer. Peel it off in the morning.

I won't include the brand or suggestions, but you can do an quick search online and get some ideas. You can find it in any first aid section of any store.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-24-2016, 02:54 PM)KSMatthew Wrote: I got worried:

You woke up without your mask and a knot on your head... First thought was, were you in an alley, behind a bar, next to a dumpster, missing a kidney?

Then I read the rest.

Does that red mark match up with where the mask fits against your forehead? Can it be an allergic reaction? Skin irritation? Or does it seem more like an impact like you hit your head against something during the night while you were asleep and knocked your mask off?

Only a very small portion of the head strap for my mask touches the bump. The bump is located above my right eye closer to my hair line.

I've had minor skin irritations from when I started using CPAP back in 2010 but they were mainly near my nose where the mask seal would lie.

Swelling has gone down considerably and the area just feels sore now so I may have hit my head against something. Only thing I can think of is I hit the edge of my nightstand somehow; I don't have a headboard.

-wullybully76
Post Reply Post Reply
Just came across this accidentally. Most likely an answer has been found, or the OP has given up looking, but what the heck.

Many years ago, before I discovered that I had sleep apnea, I also would wake up with a large red spot in the middle of my forehead. Eventually, after a matter of months, the spot turned a darker color, and didn't disappear after a few hours.

What it was, in my case, is that I would rest my forehead against the bed headboard, with neck angled slightly upward. Apparently this helped me breath, as eventually I would unconsciously do this every night.

After the apnea was diagnosed, I quit propping my head against the headboard, and the now dark perma-mark slowly disappeared.

Your problem may be entirely differant, but at least it is something for consideration. Maybe your CPAP theapy is not working 100%, and you also get some breathing relief by propping your head against the headboard, or maybe wall.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 2 57 8 hours ago
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 467 Yesterday, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 121 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 114 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Should I bump up my pressure even more? BobFromAccounting 7 374 02-16-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 772 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  Large Leaks ejbpesca 9 924 02-04-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: ejbpesca

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.