Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Woken by feeling of Suffocation
Woken by feeling of Suffocation
I was advised to start my own Thread so here we are. Grin  Below I will posting my questions - replies etc from another Thread.

I have had 2 x nights recently where I have been woken up to a feeling that I was suffocating and just tore the mask off so I could get a breath.

Would this be a similar thing to what the OP experienced?

(11-22-2019, 08:31 AM)geauxdbl Wrote: It could be.  What are your EPR settings?  Can you post an OSCAR screenshot?

RE: Waking up feeling short of breath
(11-22-2019, 11:31 PM)geauxdbl Wrote: Wrote:It could be.  What are your EPR settings?  Can you post an OSCAR screenshot?

I agree.

Could be your EPR or Pressure or both are set to low. 

Might be a sinus blockage.  

Download and install OSCAR.  Then follow the steps in these two following links so we can see your charts and provide better answers.  

https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Organize Charts

Attaching Charts  

WillSleep

RE: Waking up feeling short of breath
(11-22-2019, 11:31 PM)geauxdbl Wrote: Wrote:It could be.  What are your EPR settings?  Can you post an OSCAR screenshot?

WillSleep -

I agree.

Could be your EPR or Pressure or both are set to low. 

Might be a sinus blockage.  

Download and install OSCAR.  Then follow the steps in these two following links so we can see your charts and provide better answers.  

https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Organize Charts

Attaching Charts 

Please find attached Oscar Screenshot as requested for one of the days I posted about feeling like I was suffocating.
I received a new mask yesterday so the LL's have dropped off but there are still some being recorded file attached also.

P.S. Should I start my own Thread or keep it here under the one heading?

SarcasticDave94

If you're not the one that created this particular thread, it's probably best to create your own. That way you get the best answers specifically for you, and it keeps post history about your needs bundled into one neat package.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Pedro
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Woken by feeling of Suffocation
It is almost certainly going to be a combination of settings and something about you that changes between donning the apparatus and having to rip it off your face.  One other possibility. though, is an intermittent contact where the power cord inserts into its receptacle.  You may move the base unit a bit by jerking on the hose, and it may momentarily dislodge the cord.

I don't find the connection at the rear of my AS10 Elite to be particularly secure.  There's no familiar tug or click with a detent of some kind snugging it up tight.  At least once over my two years of therapy I have found the machine off, awakening to have to trouble-shoot and found that the cord needed to be forced deeper into the back of the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2019, 07:56 PM)mesenteria Wrote: It is almost certainly going to be a combination of settings and something about you that changes between donning the apparatus and having to rip it off your face.  One other possibility. though, is an intermittent contact where the power cord inserts into its receptacle.  You may move the base unit a bit by jerking on the hose, and it may momentarily dislodge the cord.

I don't find the connection at the rear of my AS10 Elite to be particularly secure.  There's no familiar tug or click with a detent of some kind snugging it up tight.  At least once over my two years of therapy I have found the machine off, awakening to have to trouble-shoot and found that the cord needed to be forced deeper into the back of the machine.

There is no way I can jerk the base unit, my hose is wedged into a position where I have enough play in the hose to allow me to roll over during the night and no more.
The only thing that gets touched on my base unit is the water tank, otherwise it stays insitu.

Thanks for your reply though.
Pedro
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, subyroo. I would suggest trying EPR, as others have mentioned, which will drop the pressure as you exhale. You can set it to 1, 2, or 3, with three providing the most pressure relief. Look up at the top of the page for CPAP manuals, then find your machine and follow the instructions to get into the menu where you can make this change. I would suggest you try 3 to start with and see how it feels. It might result in some more CAs, but we'll see.

Before you post another chart, I'd suggest you squeeze your Flow Limitation graph into your screenshot. To make room for it, grab the gray horizontal bars that separate the graphs and move them up a little.

Your pressure is up at your max a lot, and you are snoring almost continuously. You will probably benefit from raising your pressures at some point. The experts can guide you on that. But try EPR first, to see whether that helps with the feeling of suffocation.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2019, 01:00 PM)Dormeo Wrote: Hello, subyroo.  I would suggest trying EPR, as others have mentioned, which will drop the pressure as you exhale.  You can set it to 1, 2, or 3, with three providing the most pressure relief.  Look up at the top of the page for CPAP manuals, then find your machine and follow the instructions to get into the menu where you can make this change.  I would suggest you try 3 to start with and see how it feels.  It might result in some more CAs, but we'll see.

Before you post another chart, I'd suggest you squeeze your Flow Limitation graph into your screenshot.  To make room for it, grab the gray horizontal bars that separate the graphs and move them up a little.

Your pressure is up at your max a lot, and you are snoring almost continuously.  You will probably benefit from raising your pressures at some point.  The experts can guide you on that.  But try EPR first, to see whether that helps with the feeling of suffocation.

I don't know what has happened in the last 2 days but there is nothing recorded on my SD card.  Dont-know
I ensured that the card was locked before inserting the Card reader into the PC and I unlocked it as soon as I removed it from the PC.

I have just now set my EPR to Full Time and 2 as you suggest, we will take the middle road for now and make any adjustments from there.
One thing that has come to my attention today is the min & max pressures when you mentioned my snoring a lot, they are set at 8 & 12, looking back at my original settings back in 2013 they used to be 7 & 16, I have no recollection as to when they were changed or by whom, as I don't interfere with those settings. My wife gives me a punch in the shoulder if I snore and disturb her sleep.
Pedro
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to through something rogue out there...

Is your mask venting adequately? When you stick your hand in front of the vents, do you feel air venting out?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2019, 09:28 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: Just to through something rogue out there...

Is your mask venting adequately?  When you stick your hand in front of the vents, do you feel air venting out?

Too-funny  Another thing my wife complains about when I am facing her.
Pedro
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2019, 10:49 PM)subyroo Wrote:
(11-30-2019, 09:28 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: Just to through something rogue out there...

Is your mask venting adequately?  When you stick your hand in front of the vents, do you feel air venting out?

Too-funny  Another thing my wife complains about when I am facing her.

Hahaha!  Just tell her it means you're not rebreathing your own air, and that your fellow hose-heads say it's a good thing.

But yeah, I know how annoying that is.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2019, 11:27 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: Hahaha!  Just tell her it means you're not rebreathing your own air, and that your fellow hose-heads say it's a good thing.

I think she understand that she's breathing hisAnnoyed-and-disappointed
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 256 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 325 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 305 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 807 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  [Treatment] 40+ AHI WITH cpap, feeling hopeless Bobblan 10 545 01-24-2024, 10:04 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Sad [Pressure] Still feeling frustrated/confused after years... Mossify 12 1,085 01-22-2024, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Mossify
  Help understanding OSCAR Data - Feeling Tired all day (not sleepy) elsanti1976 9 559 01-21-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: elsanti1976

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.