Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Women of childbearing age may see natural variations in AHI during the month
Idea 
Women of childbearing age may see natural variations in AHI during the month
Pardon me for a post that feels a bit indelicate, but I searched here for information about this question and found nothing. I thought it could help someone else in future if I shared what I found elsewhere on the web with this audience.

Women who have not yet reached menopause may want to be aware that some variations in their apnea treatment results may be attributable to the phase of their menstrual cycle.

Here's a quote of what struck me as the most useful thing to know about this topic:

Quote:The influence of the menstrual cycle, with its varying estrogen and progesterone levels, extends beyond the reproductive system. During part of the menstrual cycle (follicular phase) the upper airway mucosa (airway lining) becomes engorged resulting in reduced airway diameters. ... In another part of the menstrual cycle (luteal phase) sleep apnea can become less severe as progesterone levels are increased.  This creates stability in the airway and increases respiratory drive and response to oxygenation changes.
Bolded highlights are mine.

Here's a research paper I found that touches on this:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5154417/

The best article I found appears to be on the site of a Canadian CPAP supplier, so I don't think I can link to even their blog. It's the first result I get for a search with terms: apnea women hormones cycle

Watching my own data over the few weeks I've been on CPAP, I noticed a worsening trend and then realized there might be a hormonal reason for it. That matches my sleep experience from the last twenty+ years of my life, and that is what prompted my search.

--willo
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Women of childbearing age may see natural variations in AHI during the month
That's fascinating, and helpful to be aware of. Thank you for sharing!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Women of childbearing age may see natural variations in AHI during the month
Interesting ? I am taking shots for airborne allergies and my progress has paralleled my cpap progress. But more importantly, my AHI seems to have cycles that corresponds to my shots.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I thought it could be valuable information for other women, and I had to dig to find it for myself. No one mentioned hormonal impacts on sleep apnea to me at the doctor's office or sleep clinic.

Articles I read emphasized the issue of false negatives for apnea on sleep studies if conducted during the "more open airway" phase of a woman's cycle, but, for those of us watching our data with Sleepyhead, it seems like one might also be tricked into thinking adjustments are necessary when perhaps it is a natural variation.

I'm still just under a month into using CPAP, but I see a shallow sine curve shape to the AHI trend in my own data.

I might use this information to, say, not drink alcohol at a party if I'm more likely to have a higher AHI due to my natural hormone fluctuations...
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow!!!!

What did you use to be able to look at your spine wave? Can you see it in Sleepyhead. I would love to compare that to my cycles, and see where my sleep study landed and how it compares to what I've seen at that point in my cycle while on xPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have noticed that at certain times the wife snores a lot worse than at other times of the month, she does not drink at all, so I can rule that out.
There may well be something in it, but then a lot of other factors may affect S.A. as well, but it might be worth keeping an eye on your Sleepyhead data to see if it changes and if it related to your cycle.

The only cycle I want is a Motorcycle.   Big Grin
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 151 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  One month in and could use help RTC75321 2 153 03-20-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: RTC75321
  [Treatment] Low O2 After Almost a Month of Therapy somewherein413 36 1,027 03-14-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Month on CPAP can't stay asleep Trep1018 1 138 03-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 930 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Cpap for 4 month, worked in the beginning but not much now Killiane69 6 605 01-23-2024, 07:41 AM
Last Post: Killiane69
Smile Three month overview outasleep 5 548 11-27-2023, 12:20 PM
Last Post: outasleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.