Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Women with sleep apnea would like to hear your experience
Women with sleep apnea would like to hear your experience
Hi!

I am new here and would like to hear from woman who have been diagnosed with sleep apnea.

I was diagnosed when I was 17 (i am now 31) I have unfortunately inherited my dads jaw and small mouth which is the cause of my apneas.

I've been a very silly girl and have not taken the sleep apnea very seriously until the past 3 years.

I have tried the cpap machine however I couldn't preserve with it and needed up having a madibular advancement splint made and this has provided a little help until now I am going back for a sleep test to see if I am any worse and will try a cpap machine again ( there would be new ones now)

I am 31 and in a serious relationship and we are looking at starting a family soon.
I wanted to know if any women here have sleep apnea and have had a successful pregnancy as I know this could be quite dangerous.
It's really upsetting me to think I could possibly not be able to have a child

Have had many hick ups along the way with suffering with anxiety and depression since I was 12 so just don't want this to break me

Any help would be greatly appreciated more then you would know.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Women with sleep apnea would like to hear your experience
Hi Sleepygirl84. I am a woman, but I'm in my 50s. I was just diagnosed with sleep apnea during this past winter.

It's terrific that you are going to work to address your sleep apnea problem.

I have some autoimmune disorders as well as problems with depression and anxiety. It's still early, as I have only been using CPAP regularly for a couple of months, but it really does seem to me that my mood is much more stable and that my anxiety level is less.

I have especially noticed a decrease in the physical part of my anxiety. My body doesn't feel "wired and tired" anymore. I never got sleepy during the daytime like lots of people with sleep apnea do before they start treating their apnea.

If you do an internet search, you will find some articles about sleep apnea and pregnancy. Those may be mainly about how women sometimes develop sleep apnea while pregnant, but they do discuss the effects of untreated sleep apnea on pregnancy.

Treating your sleep apnea will help your overall health. It does take time, because it's the better sleep that we can finally get that causes the improvement.

This forum is full of helpful people with lots of experience using CPAP therapy and knowledge about sleep apnea. They can provide helpful advice about sleep studies, masks, and other practical issues.

I wish you well.

green wings
Post Reply Post Reply
Like Wings said, if you are reading scary articles about sleep apnea and pregnancy, that would be about UNTREATED sleep apnea.

What about using the CPAP bothers you? What keeps you from using it?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleepygirl84,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I didn’t start treating my sleep apnea ’til I was 52 but I have had it before then.
What did you have trouble with as far as CPAP? Did it make you panic? Feel free to tell us some more.
I wish you good luck as you try CPAP therapy again and also with your sleep study.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 246 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 355 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 616 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 294 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 420 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  My Resent Experience: Momsworry 3 103 03-23-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.