Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I’m in the club
I’m in the club
So I just got my Lofta results, 28 AHI.

Going to talk with them a bit later today, any recommendations? Should I just go with their CPAP recommendation? What has your experience with them been?

I know that it could be life-changing to get treated, but I am definitely concerned with the side effects and how it will affect my sleep. I don’t know if I should be excited or scared.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I’m in the club
No don’t just go for their recommendation. They will go for the least expensive one to them not the best machine for you.

You want a ResMed 10 or 11 AUTOSET. Autoset is the key there are a lot of different models but only one autoset in the 10 or 11 series.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply.

Does insurance cover this? I’m sure it depends on the policy, but does it sometimes cover a machine? I’m completely lost here. Now that I’ve seen my results and I think about how I feel, I’m anxious to get started because I know once I get it dialed in it can be life-changing. But I’m sure it’s not gonna be easy to get dialed in. So I want to get started.
Post Reply Post Reply
You may have a deductible check with your insurance. But yes it is covered, I paid 0 for the test and machine and mask.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Ask for the breakdown of your AHI (obstructive apnea, central apnea, hypopnea) and let us know what it is. Better still, ask for a copy of your sleep report. You are legally entitled to get one.

The Airsense 10 Autoset 10 (or 10 For Her) or 11 is probably the way to go, unless you have a significant component of central apnea in your AHI. If you do, please ask about plans for treating the central component of your apnea. Just covering the bases here; a significant CA component isn't very common.

Using a mask and machine is a novel experience, so it's natural to wonder how it'll go. But you will get used to it, and with any luck at all, you'll feel much better during the day. You'll also be doing your long-term health a big favor.

One thing I felt when I started was that I was alone with the experience. This forum made a big difference to me in helping me realize this is just one of those things we do for ourselves, like getting glasses or hearing aids when we need them. And after a while I learned that quite a few people I know also use CPAP: two neighbors on my block, two people at work, three long-time friends. It just never came up in conversation.

We'd be happy to help you get going once you have your machine on its way to you. Please don't hesitate to reach out.
Post Reply Post Reply
To be clear, you have a choice of machine, you may be told you don't but you do. It is limited the the class/ billing code your doc writes a prescription for, but usually Includes all CPAPS and APAPS.
Why do so many of us recommend this machine? Simply put we feel it will provide you with the best therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
I totally appreciate your response. The talk with them went well, and the recommendation indeed was the Airsense 11.

I am having a hell of a time choosing a mask. They are recommending trying a P10, and that is the direction I’m leaning. Although I’m concerned about it drying out my sinuses and irritating my nose. Plus I’m a mouth breather, but everything I’m reading about FFM says I should try to stay away if I can. I think I can train myself to be a nose breather, especially if my sinuses get cleared up. They are usually chronically mildly congested and I am wondering if that’s from the OSA. That’s a thing, right?

I know I need to choose my avatar here and post my test results. But my RDI was 32 and AHI 28. 

I’m just so confused about a mask choice, even after reading reviews here.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2022, 02:24 PM)Emaz Wrote: I’m just so confused about a mask choice, even after reading reviews here.

(New member here) I tested a full face mask for a month, two tidbits of infos you may or may not know. If you sleep on the sides (especially the head) and because the mask hits the pillow, you can easily displace the mask position and create leaks artificially, especially if you use softer pillows. Mask placement is rather hit or miss in regards to leaks (merely smiling may leak a bit in my shorter experience). While breathing was rather natural (you don't need to keep in mind to absolutely breathe from the nose), I sometimes kinda wished I could scratch my nose or beard during sleep, something you can't easily do with a full face mask.

I'm to days in with nasal pillows now, trying to recover the ability to put my head on the sides without having to sleep on the edge of the pillow Smile My nostrils are having a hard time with friction, a bit like when you're trying to break-in a new pair of shoes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2022, 02:24 PM)Emaz Wrote: I totally appreciate your response. The talk with them went well, and the recommendation indeed was the Airsense 11.

I am having a hell of a time choosing a mask. They are recommending trying a P10, and that is the direction I’m leaning. Although I’m concerned about it drying out my sinuses and irritating my nose. Plus I’m a mouth breather, but everything I’m reading about FFM says I should try to stay away if I can. I think I can train myself to be a nose breather, especially if my sinuses get cleared up. They are usually chronically mildly congested and I am wondering if that’s from the OSA. That’s a thing, right?

I know I need to choose my avatar here and post my test results. But my RDI was 32 and AHI 28. 

I’m just so confused about a mask choice, even after reading reviews here.

Welcome to the forum
You're off to a great start.

I *think* there is a limit==you will have to post several more times to be able to attach a report.

I don' t have a P10. I understand it's a very quiet mask. Some masks blow exhaust air towards a partner nearby.  Some masks are noisy.

Welcome to the wonderful world at Apnea Board. Truly.  

DaveL
Toronto
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to the club.. starting my thread for all my questions that are sure to come. TIA! freddieku 32 2,440 02-05-2021, 09:45 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Idea PICK BOTH Club - commit right now to picking both breathing and sleeping. quiescence at last 5 2,878 12-20-2014, 01:37 AM
Last Post: Galactus
  I have officially joined the club! wheaton4prez 24 6,198 10-12-2014, 01:43 PM
Last Post: becker44a

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.