Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Wondering What Is Going On
Wondering What Is Going On
Hey all,
I am posting here to see if anyone has any ideas as to what is going on with my breathing during the night. I can't keep the mask on for more than two hours generally and I wake up in the morning feeling what I could only describe as what I would think hypoxia feels like. I have had my cpap for six months now so if someone needs more data I can provide...

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Wondering What Is Going On
I don’t see a lot of problems in your chart. But I would suggest you change the EPR to 3 full-time.  It should make it easier to breathe and in turn allow you to keep your mask on.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Given that most of your events are CA and may be central apnea, they are likely to increase with EPR. Stacey is right, it may provide greater comfort but the tradeoff may be more CA. Give it a try and post again. Emergent CA are fairly common for new users but disappear after a few months.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't get why your graph doesn't show the central apnea events in event flag or flow rate charts. There should be 10 of them based on the 4.58 clear airway index and normally they show up as a red line like the two obstructive blue ones. All I can think of is that for some reason you have them turned off which I believe is done in file, preferences, events. If so please turn them back on and repost.

I would like you to post a couple zoomed in views (use left mouse and arrow keys), ~ 3-4 minute duration. One starting at 00:36 and another starting at 00:48. Your flow rate graph looks ugly early in the night but it is too hard to tell what is going on so need the more detailed data.
Post Reply Post Reply
Those events are probably deselected in the Event Flag option box, under the graphs on the left side.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is the fixed version with all of my central apnea's flagged down     
also,

and,

Thanks for all the suggestions so far everyone. I am going to try raising the EPR to 3 for tonight and see if it works for the unconscious mask ripping off.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmm, definitely strong arousals and the central apnea appear to occur post arousal meaning they aren't real. Not obvious obstructions or flow limited breaths so tough to know what is causing the arousal.

Trying EPR of 3 will be interesting, maybe it will be more comfortable and avoid these issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
yeah i was going to say that too, the occurrences you pinpointed just seem to be adjustments as you transition back to sleep. They are real lost breaths, but they are usually called sleep-wake-junk SWJ and are common. This does not suggest you have a central apnea issue.

QAL
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah I should have expanded on that a bit. These "fake" apnea are often just a person subconsciously holding their breath while they change position (roll onto side etc) before falling back asleep. They usually get flagged as central apnea since there is no blockage of your airway.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your minimal pressure seems too high in my opinion. Maybe try to set the pressure from min 8 to max 12 with EPR 3 and see what happens.

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] New to cpap! Just wondering if my data looks ok so far wwjkcd 1 167 03-08-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 208 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 400 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Diagnosis] Unique situation, wondering if anyone could elaborate on my study kc90 6 543 12-27-2023, 07:40 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  New to CPAP, wondering how well it's going Riayain 70 4,165 05-01-2023, 06:33 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Silly question perhaps, but I'm wondering Windswell 2 579 09-16-2022, 03:08 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  wondering if I really still need my. CPAP machine Gil 11 1,614 07-21-2022, 01:24 PM
Last Post: ThinMountainAir

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.