Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Wondering Which Machine to Start With
Wondering Which Machine to Start With
I just recently got prescribed an APAP after a sleep study. I don't currently have insurance so I feel that it makes the most sense to just purchase from a site like craigslist or DotMed regardless of the prescription and I am wondering if it would make sense to just spring for an ASV in case it ends up being helpful. From what I've read, it seem like an ASV can function as an APAP or CPAP if needed, is this correct? Would I be mistaken in thinking that if I can find one that is reasonably priced it would likely be best to just purchase that in case I end up needing it?

My diagnosis is honestly kinda flimsy, so the way I see it at the moment is that I can buy an ASV, have it function like an APAP to start and see if that helps and tweak it as needed if it does. If it doesn't help I can just try to resell it at a slightly reduced cost so I don't lose out too much.

Does this plan make sense? Is there something I may be missing?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Wondering Which Machine to Start With
Also, as some background information in case it's relevant. My AHI was 5.9 with nearly half of them being clustered in about a 30-45 minute window. The big thing that seems concerning to me is the "spontaneous" arousals which average to about 33/hour. They didn't score RERAs or RDI so I don't know how many if any of those would fall under there and I'm trying to see if they can rescore it with that included.

I've also attached an image of the graphs in case anyone is curious or wants to provide some insight. I'm open to whatever interpretations people wanna give.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,368 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  [CPAP] New to cpap! Just wondering if my data looks ok so far wwjkcd 1 206 03-08-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 252 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 448 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  CPAP journey start - please help (thread) Negligee1136 48 4,418 01-29-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  [Diagnosis] Unique situation, wondering if anyone could elaborate on my study kc90 6 565 12-27-2023, 07:40 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Need to start CPAP and feeling overwhelmed shipofools999 11 1,239 10-06-2023, 07:10 AM
Last Post: Fabby

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.