Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Wondering if I need a smaller mask
Wondering if I need a smaller mask
Because of completely negative experiences with local sleep center, I'm doing this on my own. Selected APAP and mask after lots of reading, guessed at mask size. I'm a very heavy woman so I chose the Large size of the Quattro FX. And it works - delivers appropriate pressure according to the usage chart, doesn't seem to leak, is as comfortable as anything fitting over my whole face is going to be. (Pillows are out, I'm a mouth breather.)

The reason why I am wondering if I should try a Medium is that I have trouble positioning it over my mouth and nose. Either the top is almost reaches the indentation between my eyes, or the bottom is halfway down my chin. The mask I like is fairly expensive so I don't want to just buy another one blindly.  And from what I have read, being "sized" by a professional isn't a guarantee of success even if I had a professional to call on.

Feel free to refer me to informational websites, I've googled of course but googling is only as good as your search terms and the perfect reference might be there but #5,419 on the list. Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Wondering if I need a smaller mask
The key to try and buy is to find a vendor that allows you to return the mask for a full or partial refund. It is my understanding that some of these deals are funded by mask markers who want to encourage cross-brand swaps. Some hoping your switch will also encourage the purchase of their devices.

My DME allows a thirty-day trial period and I can return the mask and order another one. It is my understanding that they rarely comment unless you appear to be abusing the process.

And, you are right about professional fitting. It can appear to work in the office, especially for short periods of time, but the acid test is sleeping an entire night with tossing, tugging, and turning.

Best of luck.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Supplier #1 has an option for masks that allows the 30 day return. Of course, you pay a bit to gain that option, but if you're not certain if you'll like the mask or it's size it can be useful.

FWIW I'm not exactly a small sized person, but I only use Small ResMed AirFit F20 masks. The Medium was just a bit too tall and caused leaks.

You can view mask manufacturer websites for some mask specs and fit charts, which might be helpful.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the information. I haven't decided what to do but it's good to have options.
Post Reply Post Reply
Like Dave, I find that a small fits me better than the medium I would expect to use.  I am not sure who the large is made for.  Andre the Giant?
Post Reply Post Reply
Search on the web for QuattroFX Sizing Guide Copy and print the PDF as actual size. Make sure you measure the white box with a ruler to make sure you printed it the correct size. This should help give you a better idea than just guessing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you looked at this article in the Wiki?  
Scroll to the bottom for mask fitting guides.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Google QuattroFX You tube. There are short film clips that you can watch. It'll give you an idea how the mask should look when fitted properly.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Trouble with professionals doing the fitting is they fit the mask to your face standing up or sitting on a chair, how many people sleep like that?  When you lie down the shape of your face changes, so the mask is less likely to fit the same.  You would think a professional would realise this, but no, they insist on doing this, they also don't often think of saying try it with your machine on.
I would order from a supplier with a 30 day return policy so at least you can return the mask and try something else.
There is a lot of masks out there now, but when I started off there were only a few and even fewer machines.
In America and Australia they were a little ahead of the UK but not by a huge amount.

Order from someone that will refund or allow you to try another mask or better still both.
Sometimes a change of brand can be a good thing.  It all depends on the shape of your face and how the mask fits.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2018, 02:14 PM)groggygirl Wrote: ...guessed at mask size. I'm a very heavy woman...

If you look at your profile in the mirror, there is a bit of an indent where your nose joins your face, and there is another indent below your lower lip. These markers are used to determine the size of mask.

Definitely find the sizing guide for any mask you are interested in. Even if using a DME - it just helps to know in advance how the mask is sized and what you think your size should be.

Supplier #1 only offers free returns on popular masks; otherwise there is a charge for 'return insurance.'
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Realistic effect of weight loss/smaller neck measurement Fox66 9 198 Yesterday, 04:08 AM
Last Post: Fox66
  [CPAP] New to cpap! Just wondering if my data looks ok so far wwjkcd 1 218 03-08-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 262 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 453 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Diagnosis] Unique situation, wondering if anyone could elaborate on my study kc90 6 570 12-27-2023, 07:40 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  New to CPAP, wondering how well it's going Riayain 70 4,286 05-01-2023, 06:33 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,660 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.