Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Wood burning stoves
Wood burning stoves
Hello everyone,

I've read that wood & coal-burning indoor stoves are very bad for respiratory health due to the particles they produce.

This has made me wonder whether, for people with OSA, its best not to buy or use one in bedrooms or even in the house at all.

Any thoughts of this would be very welcome.

Many thanks

Kadenz
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Wood burning stoves
Presumably the stove would be flued to the outside so particulates inside the house would be limited, if the stove is designed and installed properly.

Having said that I'm surprised that you can still get coal burning stoves - I thought they had been outlawed. Even here in Oz wood stoves are frowned on in urban areas because of their impact on air quality.
Post Reply Post Reply
IMO for some people with other health issues, this can be a real issue. Some, like myself, may have other respiratory issues such as COPD. In this case, it would be important to probably avoid those devices from the smoke. Those with just OSA, it may not be an issue.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I lived in a house in the Sierra Nevada mountains for a number of years, where the only heat was a wood-burning stove. We eventually installed a propane furnace, but wood was our heat for several years. Unless there is a malfunction, the smoke and particulate should not be inside the house, of course that happened on rare occasions if the flue was back-drafted or fire not burning right.

Being on CPAP is not indicative of a pulmonary impairment or sensitivity to smoke or particulate. Individuals with those conditions should probably avoid unnecessary stresses from burning solid fuels. OSA is not pulmonary dysfunction, it is an airway problem during sleep. That could be made worse by allergies, irritation that causes swelling (including exposure to smoke), and upper respiratory illness, but as long as you're feeling okay, enjoy your fireplace or wood stove.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
HI WE HAVE USED WOOD TO HEAT FOR 20 YEARS , SEEMS NOT TO FACTOR IN ON APNEA EPISODES BUT WE KEEP THE BED ROOM SOME WHAT ISOLATED FROM THE REST OF THE HOUSE AND A WINDOW CRACKED IN THE BEDROOM ,WE WOULD DO THIS ANYWAY TO KEEP IT COOLER AND MORE PLEASANT FOR SLEEPING [HERE`S TO WOOD HEAT ] AND SELF SUFICIENCY GARY
Post Reply Post Reply
buddygirl15,
                          THANKS FOR THE INPUT!
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Our wood stove hsa a seal around the door. The only time we get smoke is if you open it and it is not a real good buring fire , wet wood or real sappy wood. Or when I forget to clean spark arrestor. .
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll add to this

Not all smoke is the same.  I am HYPER sensitive to cigarette smoke, to the point where I have been dropped to my knees (literally) by a cigarette at 100 yards.  I am not severely affected by wood or charcoal smoke, buildings burning (and there is some real nasty stuff in any building fire) or, while I don't like them at all, even pipe or cigar smoke.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
bonjour,
How about smoke from a joint?
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have never smoked anything in my life, but even Kronic ( a beer was once named that and it is still on the label), MJ, Mary Jane or Weed,  doesn't impact me the same way a cigarette does.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Burning Smell? BC3B 33 19,404 10-25-2023, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Teddyg
  Burning irritation from head gear Xltrod 0 439 10-13-2022, 06:39 AM
Last Post: Xltrod
  Resmed Airsense 11 very warm to touch with burning smell Sweet72947 0 1,468 08-21-2022, 11:42 PM
Last Post: Sweet72947
  [Equipment] Climate Line Hose: Burning Smell? BuckarooBanzai 2 775 05-11-2022, 09:05 AM
Last Post: BuckarooBanzai
  Nose Dryness Burning? tierdal 3 988 12-18-2021, 12:48 PM
Last Post: tierdal
  Woke up to burning smell, ran out of water xfaith 21 15,656 10-27-2021, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto Burning Smell andyabel 21 6,927 07-07-2019, 04:58 AM
Last Post: Apnearon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.