Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Woot! A Breakthrough...But with questions
Woot! A Breakthrough...But with questions
I been on CPAP for several months and have been frustrated by my AHI numbers despite lots effort by members of this forum to help. After a particularly bad three day stretch (AHI > 20), I decided try one suggestion that I hadn't tried. I put on a soft cervical collar. Bingo!! Five straight nights of AHI below 3.2. That may sound high to some, but after almost a year of barely ever getting single digits, I'm thrilled.

So my question is: I thought the point of a FF mask was to accommodate mouth breathers. So why am I wearing one AND something to keep my mouth closed. Would it be reasonable to think I could try nasal pillows at this point? And is there an upgraded chin strap that could replace the collar? The flimsy thing my DME provided is worthless.

Thanks

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Woot! A Breakthrough...But with questions
The collar keeps the air path in the trachea straight. This creates less obstruction.
It's really not about keeping the mouth closed.

However, if you wish to try a nasal mask, you probably should. Many people prefer the P10 nasal pillow mask.
At your pressure of 10 cm-water, you may have very good luck with it.

I would suggest that you not toss the collar if you go to a nasal pillow mask. A chin strap may help keep the mouth closed; but, I think you are reaping the benefits of a straighter airway by using the collar.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks--I wasn't aware of that function of the collar. I'll look into the P10.

I found the collar very uncomfortable at first, and ended up taking it off before getting up; however, last night I got a full seven hours in with it.

BTW, I've had two studies where the prescription was 10cm and another where it was 14 (different sleep center). I'm using 14 now. I may drop it back or use auto with the collar to see how it goes.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2017, 10:45 AM)dclaryjr Wrote: Thanks--I wasn't aware of that function of the collar.  I'll look into the P10.

I found the collar very uncomfortable at first, and ended up taking it off before getting up; however, last night I got a full seven hours in with it.

BTW, I've had two studies where the prescription was 10cm and another where it was 14 (different sleep center). I'm using 14 now. I may drop it back or use auto with the collar to see how it goes.

Dave

Better,  Post your data here,  With your machine we will be able to tweak you in better than either sleep study.  Any mention of Centrals in the sleep studies?  That may imply caution depending on what they look like.

My signature will tell you how to post the data.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dclaryjr,
It’s great to hear of your progress, keep up the good work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 142 9 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 265 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 305 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 463 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  My treatment fun. Questions. robbob2112 15 1,593 10-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie questions - What am I seeing? lmftit 0 358 09-04-2023, 04:44 PM
Last Post: lmftit

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.