Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Worried about Sleep Study Results
Worried about Sleep Study Results
Hi guys, this is my first post so please be gentle on me Tongue

I am so worried about my sleep study results. I have to wait for them and couldn't sway the sleep tech to give me a general idea of what to expect. All she said was yes when I asked her if I snored, and she wouldn't tell me if I had an Apnea or not.

I was referred for a sleep study after scoring very high on a Questionnaire and my mother has Sleep Apnea.

My sleep study sucked, which I am certain I am not the only one who felt this way. I almost gave up 2 hours in since the equipment was making me so uncomfortable. I really don't want to hear them say "There's nothing wrong with you".

I am tired each and every day. I struggle to wake up even after sleeping for 9 hours. I have to drink a V8 Energy in the morning or risk falling asleep while driving. I suffer from short term memory loss, often forgetting if I locked my car or not and having to run back to check. My roommate said that I snort from time to time in my sleep and move around immediately after.

I just want relief from whatever is causing my problem. I don't care if I have to use a CPAP. I rather they find what it is than tell me there's nothing wrong.

Thanks,
Catherine
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Worried about Sleep Study Results
Welcome.
You convinced a Dr to schedule a test so they will probably not tell you there is nothing wrong. That's the good news. This therapy works and getting used to the process is not too difficult. Frustrating yes, long and drawn out yes, trial and error yes, did I say frustrating. Each week gets better.

Six months in for me and still not there yet but much, much improved.

Sit back and enjoy the ride, it's a journey, so go with the flow. Oh-jeez
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-17-2016, 06:42 PM)Rcgop Wrote: Welcome.
You convinced a Dr to schedule a test so they will probably not tell you there is nothing wrong. That's the good news. This therapy works and getting used to the process is not too difficult. Frustrating yes, long and drawn out yes, trial and error yes, did I say frustrating. Each week gets better.

Six months in for me and still not there yet but much, much improved.

Sit back and enjoy the ride, it's a journey, so go with the flow. Oh-jeez

I am going to bug the Sleep Study company to give me my results on Monday. I really want them to find something. I know I am not crazy, neither is my roommate.

I just don't know if they got enough since I had a hard time falling asleep with all of those wires and that nose sensor. I think I slept from 12AM to 1:20AM and woke up to pee, then I went back to sleep at 2AM and stayed asleep till 5:15AM when they did "lights on".

After I got all of that glue out of my hair by showering. I went to bed at 8AM and stayed asleep until 12PM. I still needed a V8 Energy to drive to a meeting I had at 1PM. It is currently 7:17PM and I want to drop dead asleep.

It took from January 2016 till September 2016 for my Pulmonologist to get my Asthma under control. Switching meds and combinations of them. When I was reacting to dairy, it took for me to make a food diary to prove that I had the allergy when the Skin Prick Test came back negative.

I am worried that I am going to be told "Your test came back normal", when I am showing clear signs that something is not right. I know it in my soul that something is wrong and I strongly believe it to be Sleep Apnea. My roommate believes it as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Techs are not allowed to give you a diagnosis so the one you had could not legally tell you anything.

The usual procedure is for the sleep clinic to notify your doctor so call your doctor instead of the sleep center.

Most likely the doctor's office will contact you on Monday or Tuesday to tell you to make a second sleep study appointment to be titrate for a cpap. In some cases they prescribe an auto pap for home titration. You don't normally see a doctor until you have used the machine for a few weeks.

As far as not sleeping enough for a diagnosis, insurance companies require only two hours worth of data in order to authorize a machine. Sometimes less - my brother's was so bad that the tech woke him up after half an hour and titrate him for a machine right away.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jakthebomb,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and good luck to you in finding out about your sleep study.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-17-2016, 09:21 PM)jakthebomb Wrote: I just don't know if they got enough since I had a hard time falling asleep with all of those wires and that nose sensor. I think I slept from 12AM to 1:20AM and woke up to pee, then I went back to sleep at 2AM and stayed asleep till 5:15AM when they did "lights on".

They don't need much to diagnose. And they would not do lights on unless they had enough data. From your description, I think it is pretty safe to assume that you have sleep apnea. Relax. Have a bad night's sleep. It might be one of the last you get. Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi and welcome to the forum Catherine!

Sure sounds like you have sleep apnea from the symptoms you describe. Many, many of us felt the sleep lab disturbed sleep or lack thereof was insufficient to give a diagnosis and yet somehow they do with very little time one is asleep.

It's hard to be patient knowing you are close to getting the help (therapy) that you need and want. Try to be patient, we've all been there. Soon this will be a distant memory and you'll be on therapy and on the road to better health!

Keep us posted!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Did they stick a mask on you? Midway through my PSG the tech woke me up and put a mask on me. Tech wouldn't tell me why, but it was a pretty good indication that OSA was involved. A couple hours later they woke me up and I went on my way. The rest of the day I was wide awake so those few hours of real sleep were a big deal.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2016, 08:46 AM)KSMatthew Wrote: Did they stick a mask on you? Midway through my PSG the tech woke me up and put a mask on me. Tech wouldn't tell me why, but it was a pretty good indication that OSA was involved. A couple hours later they woke me up and I went on my way. The rest of the day I was wide awake so those few hours of real sleep were a big deal.

No, I was told that I would have had to been sleeping for at least 2 hours and have 60 apneas in the first half of the sleep study. I didn't really sleep until the second half of the sleep study. The tech did say "For your next sleep study, take some sleeping pills" Not sure if she was implying that I would be having a Sleep Study with a CPAP or not. Maybe I am reading into things.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some people are scheduled for a "split study" in which the first half of the night is without the mask, then the second half of the night is with a mask on. All of this depends if you slept enough during the first half of the night. They usually need at least 2 hours.

In my case, I had a hard time falling asleep and didn't sleep at all the first half, so they were unable to do a split study with a mask on for the second half (which is called a titration) I did manage to sleep during the second half of the night for slightly over 2 hours. Then had to rescheduled for the titration (with a mask on) to determine what pressure was best to tackle my apneas. This sounds like what you will be rescheduled for. But sometimes a doctor will just issue an apap without the titration.

So just wait and see what your doctor decides to do.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 43 1,048 4 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 215 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 72 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 129 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.