Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

WorryWart About My Mask
WorryWart About My Mask
OK, I have been on the machine for 21 nights straight now; using it for 8+ hrs ea nite, AHI around 2.5, 95th pct leak running around 8 - 10----GREAT!!.  My only worry is that my nose was broken years ago and the right nostril is bigger than the left.  The cartilage is more exposed on the right side and nose feels a little sore each morning on that right side (left side never a problem);  I can almost always hear some air hissing on the right side when I inhale (never the left side).  If I finally find I can't tolerate this mask, what is my best option?  I'm desperately trying to tolerate this mask, campophenic , then later Lansinoh in the right nostril several times/day.  I think I'm gaining on it, but not sure.

So, my question, what mask do I go to next if I finally find I cannot tolerate this one.  Oh, I'm using the large insert in the mask, so larger insert not an option. Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: WorryWart About My Mask
You could try the the Dreamwear mask. The one without pillows. Also there's nasal masks and full face masks. Check out the link called mask primer below.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hoping to stay away from the full face masks, but----
Post Reply Post Reply
The Dreamwear is more like a nasal pillow mask without the pillows.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Consider trying the ResMed Mirage Activa mask.  I will literally float on your face when properly adjusted.  I think it adjust to a slightly different anatomy on different sides of your face.  BUT everyone is different.  The disadvantage is that it is bulkier than the newer nasal masks.  

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, I can afford the new mask out of pocket, but I still have about 10 days left on my trial period w/this mask.  I'm leaving on RV trip in 3 days, so really hate to spring this on my provider, Medigy.  However, it would put the cost onto Medicare, not me.  Plus, if I have Medicare do it, then they have to supply me with free inserts in the future.  What to do?
Post Reply Post Reply
Got an appt w/Medigy gal today @ 4PM.  Will ask abt Dreamware and Resmed Mirage Activa, plus just ask her for her advice.  Allergies are bad today and my nose always drips out of the right nostril w/allergies, which also makes that nostril sore.  Absolutely love the Airfit P10, but the increasingly sore right nostril makes me think it will eventually be unwearable for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats on the appointment. Hopefully you will find something that works for you.

I also had a broken nose, but it was repaired which involved removing some bone. This causes the bridge of my nose to be incredibly sensitive. I would highly recommend having a variety of masks to choose from, so that you can swap them out on a whim.

Personally, I cannot tolerate the nasal masks (the ones coming partway onto the nose). I'm not sure why you do not want a FFM - the F&P Simplus is my favorite, even over the P10.

The F&P Brevida is very nice and may work for you. I hope that you can see one in person because it is hard to describe what makes it so comfortable (and why I think it would be perfect for your particular situation). However, I do not like the way that the frame presses against my upper lip area as it causes pain to my teeth. That might just be me, I don't think I've seen any other complaints about that.

Best of luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm having mask issues of my own and I found it very illuminating to go to a vendor website and read the reviews for the masks. I like to start with the negative reviews and work my way up through to the five star reviews. There's no one perfect mask. What works for one person, say, a full-face mask for Kiwii, gives the next person (me) the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it. I may try a different mask if I can't work out my issues with the P10, but reading the reviews has made me feel like it's worth doing everything I can to make it work first, because the next mask (or ten) may not be any better and may even be worse.
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't know, just thought full face mask would be harder to seal and more of a hassle.  I'm 80 yrs old and don't really care about marks on the face---prob couldn't distinguish them from the wrinkles already there.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,526 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,215 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,757 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,426 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,833 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,531 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.