Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold!
RE: Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold!
(03-22-2024, 06:10 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: I can't tell from your chart. Are you changing the settings on the machine when you switch mask types? I haven't done this for a while, but IIRC there's FFM mode and nasal mode and maybe a 3rd mode.

I wouldn't put it past me to forget, but yes I have remembered to do that every time so far. I think the 3 are: full face, nasal, pillow.
Post Reply Post Reply
You don't need to worry about one bad night unless this happens repeatedly.  For now, just let it go.  Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2024, 07:01 PM)Deborah K. Wrote: You don't need to worry about one bad night unless this happens repeatedly.  For now, just let it go.  Smile

I appreciate your concern, but I regret I'm not the type who can do that! Besides, I think I have solved the mystery....

I realised right from the start that what was unique (for me) about my really bad night was the use of an FFM together with a Soft Cervical Collar (SCC). But I really couldn't see how the SCC could have caused it. 

I only tried the SCC because I read on here (https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...cal_Collar) that "Flow restrictions caused by chin tucking can be eliminated by wearing a loose-fitting soft cervical collar", but in my first few days of use (which happened to coincide with my use of nasal pillows) I could see no improvement.

I then happened to switch to the FFM to give my nostrils a rest, and that's when I suddenly got a tenfold increase in hypopnea.

In the absence of any other clues to the possible cause for this, I slept last night with the exact same setup except without the SCC....and that fixed it! When I awoke after 3.5 hours to go to the loo, my PAP showed ZERO events.

Feeling the need for further evidence, I reinstalled the SCC and got back in bed. Within 15 minutes, I had 5 events (i.e. an AHI of 20!) and my snoring had returned (according to the Oscar charts). Voila!

It's starting to look like I may have Palatal Prolapse after all, but I am now trying to discover if using an SCC is known to be bad in that case....and why it should matter so much which type of mask you wear.

I'd welcome more input from anyone familiar with Palatal Prolapse.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Help with Hypopneas! strugglingzombie 0 148 04-03-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: strugglingzombie
  Does EPAP or IPAP control hypopneas? MrIvanDrago 3 355 02-29-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Help Please - Hypopneas remain with BIPAP Newby 0 225 02-25-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Newby
  Hypopneas resolved, CA's persist--help! AZAwake 5 513 01-20-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Am I worrying for nothing? CA during nap. Keicereal 4 368 12-30-2023, 10:55 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Health] AHI Increased - Covid Positive amfar33 2 455 12-27-2023, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Equipment] Dreamstation 2 session tracking hillie16 3 522 12-04-2023, 09:09 AM
Last Post: StratCat48

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.