Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Factors for determining New Cpap
Factors for determining New Cpap
Hi all,

I was diagnosed with Sleep apnea aprox 8 years ago. Have been using the same machine, Resmed S8 Autoset. I have been told they are obsolete.

I understand that there are limitations on what can be recommended.

What questions should I be asking? There seems to be a broader choice of machines available. How do I choose?

The machine does work in controlling AHI, but the last 12 months the quality of sleep has gone south.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Factors for determining New Cpap
There are a few basic considerations:

One, is the type of machine adequate to control your particular sleep issues (CPAP, APAP, BI-PAP, or ASV)?

Two, is the machine data-enabled so you can look at your sleep data using software like ResScan (ResMed), SleepyHead (Multiple) or another manufacturer's software. This is critical to manage your own condition and to provide feedback to your physician?

Three, does your doctor work with Medicare (US) or your insurance provider to insure the correct diagnosis, titration, and paperwork? If your machine is older than five years, you might be eligible for a Medicare replacement.

Four, does your doctor work with a vendor (DME) to provide the machine you want under insurance. If you are not using insurance, there are a number of options available from the fine vendors that are listed in the forum header. Some lightly-used machines might be acceptable if cost is a major factor?

Five, do you have a personal brand preference?

Personally, I would ignore CPAPs and go directly to auto-titrating (apap) units as they can always be used as a cpap, but cpaps can not be used as apaps. My personal preference is the ResMed AutoSense AutoSet (S10), but the Phillips and other brands might also suit your needs.

I made my decision among the top 3 brands due to availability, replicability, reputation, and reliability. I had an S8 Elite that served me well for years and saw no reason to change brand. The difference between ResMed and the other machines is usually how fast a machine will respond to an event and the way it manages pressure after the event. ResMed machines usually have more aggressive algorithms. Since you are a male -- you can rule out the ResMed for her machines.

I see you are already using a ResMed APAP, so an upgrade to the S10 AutoSense AutoSet makes perfect sense to me.

Best of luck with the upgrade.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Brad1959,
Welcome to Apnea Board,

Here is a link to help you in choosing a machine and which ones to avoid.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

It's important to do your research and be one step ahead of the DMEs/suppliers, because they will normally try to give you an older machine or a basic Cpap.

Insurance will pay them the same whether you get a Cpap or apap.

Be sure you have your doctor write a script for a fully data capable auto titrating machine.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Brad1959,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you in finding a machine. Check out this link for a good guide on which machines to avoid and which ones to buy: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all for the responses,

I have been looking at the ResMed AutoSense AutoSet (S10) but here in Aus

it is the most expensive option.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2016, 05:04 PM)Brad1959 Wrote: Thanks all for the responses,

I have been looking at the ResMed AutoSense AutoSet (S10) but here in Aus

it is the most expensive option.

Hi Brad,
I just bought and Airsense 10 Autoset. Check out the deals on-line. The first 'bricks and mortar' supplier wanted to charge me over $2300. I was able to buy on-line for just under $1900.

I don't know what state you are in, but best to make sure the on-line supplier has a presence in your state. You will have to physically collect it , as they won't deliver

The Airsense 10 Autoset is a fantastic machine.

Cheers,
Steve.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bilevel settings (and other factors) revisited dfunk 15 1,085 12-20-2023, 04:09 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Mask Type Factors? nearenough 10 1,231 02-08-2023, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Chance
  What factors can cause AHI spikes nearenough 4 657 11-18-2022, 02:14 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Need Help Determining Pressure Changes. DanBisp 4 486 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: DanBisp
  Determining leak with a "nonsupported" mask? sosaystara 19 1,751 10-29-2020, 05:11 PM
Last Post: ragtopcircus
  Mental and physical factors in treatment for apnea Dormeo 4 1,065 07-02-2019, 02:30 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  What factors to be concerned about with resmed aircurve 10 ckingzzzs 7 2,351 02-26-2016, 08:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.