Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Worse sleep with CPAP machine
RE: Worse sleep with CPAP machine
@glennaa11, you might want to start a new thread on this. I'd be campaigning to get in to see a sleep doctor again. AHI is not the total story. Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) / Periodic Limb Movement (PLM), Respiratory Event Related Arousals (RERA), and Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome(UARS) are other possible causes of poor sleep (fragmented, shallow). There are doubtless more causes, but these are at least illustrative.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have read all replies and lots on this forum. My problem (from what I can gather) is that I have never given any mask enough of a trial. I am not thrilled with the nasal mask but I will not return it just yet. I am going to keep using it and see what happens. Last night I actually slept 4.7 hours with it on!!! Yay me.
I believe I had an Amara View or something like it first. I would probably have liked it if I had given it more than 2 days trial. Oh well. I am impatient and trying very hard to not be like that with this therapy.
Again thank you for your help and I will keep reading and giving it more time.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might try the ResMed P-10 pillows... at the pressure you indicate you're at they might be a reasonable choice. If you have seal problems with them, there are some things that you can try,

Just keep putting one foot in front of the next and keep going.
Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Icyura for the recommendation. I will keep it in mind. I am keeping what I have now just so I can get used to this system I have to use. I AM DETERMINED!!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-30-2016, 11:21 AM)PatCurt Wrote: Last night I actually slept 4.7 hours with it on!!! Yay me.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but unless you commit to wearing it all night long, you will never adapt. Every time you sleep without it you are allowing your body to go back to its old ways of having to wake you every few minutes to breathe.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using CPAP machines for 20 years, someone commented that getting the right pressures set ( Get a complete overnight sleep study done ) is first and foremost the most important thing you can do for your health.
Then have the machine properly set by your CPAP professional.
Many new machines can be set to automatic based on a quick office tests that provides general settings that when set rely on the machine to then automatically roam through it's range while you sleep, increasing and decreasing air pressures automatically for inhaling and exhaling while you sleep.
In my opinion I don't like nor trust these quick office settings, nor setting these machines on automatic to monitor your proper pressures.
I am a big fan of allowing professionals to ""Manually"" set your proper pressure based on your overnight sleep test results and stay away from the automatic setting.

As for masks I have used all styles, for me personally I have gone full circle and have gone back to the Mirage Quattro full face mask, I also use a chin strap as I am a mouth breather, yes for the newbie they take some getting use to, but after a few weeks I suggest you would never go back to nasal pillows.

If I was told by my sleep therapist I no longer had sleep apnea, I would never ever stop using my machine, I'm getting filtered, humidified, heated, air at the proper pressures.

The fact that you are gasping for breath tells me that there are three possible solutions.
1) Your settings for both inhaling and/or exhaling are set to low.
2) Your ramp starting pressure is set to low.
3) Your anxious or nervous, being anxious or nervous makes you try to breath in
much faster than the pressures can keep up during ramp until you fall asleep, the starting ramp pressure may need to be increased as well as the ramp up time, your professional can really help you with this.

I am a Canadian, our health care system does not pay for CPAP equipment, they will pay for an overnight sleep test but the wait is nearly a year.
I paid 700 dollars for my overnight test nearly twenty years ago as I refused to wait, I also buy all my CPAP equipment from US suppliers who are so much cheaper than Canadian suppliers.
My point is it's your life we are talking about, spend the money even if your insurance provider won't, get the ""right test done"", and get the proper settings set manually by your professional, If you are a 17, then get it set permanently at 17.unless your CPAP professional can give you a good enough reason to have it set on 17 automatic.
All the best to you.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleepster, but we will have to agree to disagree. Between the tachycardia and the constant atrial fibrillation, 4.7 hours for me is great. That is from the time I went to bed until the time I got up.
Every time it is a little longer is a plus for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Raebo: I definitely had all the right studies done. Had a sleep study done, went back and had another with the CPAP machine and they monitored everything. Went to the pulmonologist who interpreted the sleep study for me and who sent the prescription to the DME. (who set up the machine for me with the correct settings per the doc's prescription.
I know I am anxious about it when I wake up considering I can feel my heart racing along. I feel I am doing the best I can in my situation.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-30-2016, 08:54 PM)PatCurt Wrote: Thanks Sleepster, but we will have to agree to disagree. Between the tachycardia and the constant atrial fibrillation, 4.7 hours for me is great. That is from the time I went to bed until the time I got up.
Every time it is a little longer is a plus for me.

I agree. Take your time and get to the goal in the time your body allows. Persistence will get you there. If you can do 4.7 you can do 5. If you can do 5 you can do 5.5 and so on. Don't get down on yourself if you slip back a bit. Just work on getting used to the mask and sleeping with it. One thing that may help is to always wear it when you lie down even to take a short nap. Eventually you associate the mask with sleep and things get better from there.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
I tried a nasal mask in one of my sleep studies, and it was a non starter. I've always used FFMs and have had good luck. Try a FFM, I've had success with Quattro or Airfit F10. The mask is the hardest part of the whole adventure. Keep trying different ones until you can find one you can live with.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 13 217 11 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 272 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 4 163 03-14-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 114 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,447 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 5 398 03-14-2024, 07:45 AM
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 145 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.